The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

The University will be closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Any questions posted over the next 4 days will be seen when we are back in the office on Tuesday 29 March. We'll respond to you as soon as possible on our return :smile: Have a good weekend!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 61
Hi, I was just wondering if any current students might be able to help me out please. I'm starting in September on an intercalated MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology, and I'm planning to stay in private accommodation, because it suits me a lot more. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice about how to find housemates/a place to stay? At my current uni (I'm a fourth year student at UEA) I have found houses with friends and people from my course, but obviously with moving to a totally new city this is very different. Are there any websites or Facebook groups for people looking for accommodation? Or does anyone here also happen to be looking for accom? Thank you!
Original post by Cam,
Hi, I was just wondering if any current students might be able to help me out please. I'm starting in September on an intercalated MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology, and I'm planning to stay in private accommodation, because it suits me a lot more. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice about how to find housemates/a place to stay? At my current uni (I'm a fourth year student at UEA) I have found houses with friends and people from my course, but obviously with moving to a totally new city this is very different. Are there any websites or Facebook groups for people looking for accommodation? Or does anyone here also happen to be looking for accom? Thank you!

Hey Cam,

There's a section about private accommodation on our website and NUStudentHomes can help you find a place in the private sector :smile: The Students' Union also has a section on housing advice and their Student Advice Centre can provide help too :smile:

Hope that helps a bit!

Persephone
Hi, Could you tell me how many contact hours it is for Nutrition and Psychology BSc Honours compared to Food and Human Nutritions BSC Honours, Please.
Hey! Can you let me know what studying BSc Computer Science would be like? How a typical day looks like?
Reply 65
Can any current students give me advice on if i should pick Kensington terrace as one of my accommodation preferences? I want somewhere social and concerned this accommodation isnt social. thanks
Original post by newt1
Can any current students give me advice on if i should pick Kensington terrace as one of my accommodation preferences? I want somewhere social and concerned this accommodation isnt social. thanks

lol if you only get 'social' from your accomodation then it's probably you that isn't social. it's newcastle. everywhere is 'social'.

on topic: i picked Park, Kensington and Windsor Terrace as they're all campus + social + ensuite.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/study/undergrad/degrees/g400/index.php
Original post by orphan_black
Hey! Can you let me know what studying BSc Computer Science would be like? How a typical day looks like?

Hi :smile:

Please find attached an example of what a normal week could look like for a Computer Science 1st year student.

You can also find the module list here.

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi I hope to study Geography BSc can you tell me what a typical week/day is like? Also any suggestions for accommodation that is self catered, en suite with a good social atmosphere but a place were I can still get work done? I'm from Northern Ireland so any help about the area would be great :smile:
Original post by pstewarr785
Hi I hope to study Geography BSc can you tell me what a typical week/day is like? Also any suggestions for accommodation that is self catered, en suite with a good social atmosphere but a place were I can still get work done? I'm from Northern Ireland so any help about the area would be great :smile:

A typical student week will depend on the kinds ofmodules you choose to study. We will help you choose modules and complete yourtimetable when you arrive! BA Geography modules can be found here: www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/l701/#coursedetails
Bsc Geography modules here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/f800/#coursedetailsAnd BSc Physical Geographymodules here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/fh82/#coursedetailsIn your first year you will usually take 6 modules in thefirst semester and 6 in the second.
Typically you will have around 2 hours of contact time per week per module(this will include lectures, seminars, lab workshops, fieldwork, small groupwork etc.).
You may have some days without classes to attend but you will also be givenstaff office hours where you can pop in for a chat and readings to do inpreparation for lectures or exams. Wednesday afternoons are left free for you to take partin sports or other activities you may be interested in.So in total you can expect around 12 hours of teachingper week and will be expected to use the rest of your time to completeindependent study. There's a social scene at all of our uni accommodations but for proximity to the School of Geography, Politics and Sociology located in the Daysh building i'd suggest: Park Terrace - 3 mins awayWindsor Terrace - 7 mins away (Also right next to the library)
Castle Leazes - 12 mins awayHope this helps. If you have any further questions about the course you can get in touch with the geography team via [email protected].

Best wishes,

Christina
Original post by Newcastle University

A typical student week will depend on the kinds ofmodules you choose to study. We will help you choose modules and complete yourtimetable when you arrive! BA Geography modules can be found here: www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/l701/#coursedetails
Bsc Geography modules here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/f800/#coursedetailsAnd BSc Physical Geographymodules here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/fh82/#coursedetailsIn your first year you will usually take 6 modules in thefirst semester and 6 in the second.
Typically you will have around 2 hours of contact time per week per module(this will include lectures, seminars, lab workshops, fieldwork, small groupwork etc.).
You may have some days without classes to attend but you will also be givenstaff office hours where you can pop in for a chat and readings to do inpreparation for lectures or exams. Wednesday afternoons are left free for you to take partin sports or other activities you may be interested in.So in total you can expect around 12 hours of teachingper week and will be expected to use the rest of your time to completeindependent study. There's a social scene at all of our uni accommodations but for proximity to the School of Geography, Politics and Sociology located in the Daysh building i'd suggest: Park Terrace - 3 mins awayWindsor Terrace - 7 mins away (Also right next to the library)
Castle Leazes - 12 mins awayHope this helps. If you have any further questions about the course you can get in touch with the geography team via [email protected].

Best wishes,

Christina

This is great thank you :smile:
Reply 71
I've applied for combined hons business French and Portuguese. I'm wondering if contact hours are the same as any other course or more because you have more subjects?

Also on a different topic, I'm looking at uni accommodation and really want to go somewhere with a sociable atmosphere and as cheap as possible. I want to go self catered and I'm not bothered about sharing a bathroom. I'm sad that Richardson road is closing and wondered if there's anywhere with a similar vibe? I've looked at Marris house but I don't know whether to listen to the warning about noise disruption?

Thanks!
Original post by Rosemccx
I've applied for combined hons business French and Portuguese. I'm wondering if contact hours are the same as any other course or more because you have more subjects?

Also on a different topic, I'm looking at uni accommodation and really want to go somewhere with a sociable atmosphere and as cheap as possible. I want to go self catered and I'm not bothered about sharing a bathroom. I'm sad that Richardson road is closing and wondered if there's anywhere with a similar vibe? I've looked at Marris house but I don't know whether to listen to the warning about noise disruption?

Thanks!

Combined Honours students take the same number of credits as any other Undergrad student :smile: Your contact hours depend on the modules you choose (for example, an English Lit module that requires a lot of reading and independent study time will have less contact hours than a practical Chemistry module that is entirely lab-based).

The Combined Honours website has module information for the subjects they offer. Here are the pages for French, Portuguese and Business :smile:

On page 27 of the Accommodation Brochure there's a table where you can see at-a-glance which rooms are the cheapest :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/computing/study/undergrad/degrees/g400/index.php

Please find attached an example of what a normal week could look like for a Computer Science 1st year student.

You can also find the module list here.

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina

Thank you so much! :biggrin: thats so helpful :biggrin:
Trying to decide whether I should I apply for mixed or single-sex accommodation in terms of the washbasin rooms - does anyone have any advice?
Hey, I went to the Business School applicant day but only just thought of a question I'd like to ask students. Do the lecturers really dedicate time to the students? I've heard stories from people at other uni's saying a lot of marketing lecturers are more concerned about their research and their lectures are just out of a book..
Reply 76
Hi,

Would it be possible to see an example of a first year politics and economics timetable?

Thanks
Hello :smile:

Do you offer Unconditional offers for your undergraduates for Computer Science? and if so, what are required for them?

Thank you :biggrin:
Hello, and thanks for doing this - this thread is a great idea!

Is there any possibility of seeing a sample/example timetable for year one of A101 Medicine?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, a few questions if you don't mind? Newcastle seems to have an excellent reputation for Fine Art. How much contact do students get with tutors? And what preparation is there for life after Uni for a Fine Art student? Also, what advantages do you think there are for a student in Newcastle over one of the London art schools?
Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending