The Student Room Group

A grades at AS

How can I get x4 A grades at AS? My exams start next month and I really want to get straight A's. I'm willing to put in the work but was just wondering if anybody had any tips. I am currently studying Mathematics, psychology, economics and business studies. Thank you.
Reply 1
Emphasis on doing every past paper you can get your hands on.

Do a paper, revise the bits you struggled with, repeat until there's nothing left to learn. If you can correctly answer every past paper question that exists then you'll have no problems with the actual exam :cute:

Source: >90% AAAA at AS in Phys, Maths, FM and Geog
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion

Do a paper, revise the bits you struggled with, repeat until there's nothing left to learn. If you can correctly answer every past paper question that exists then you'll have no problems with the actual exam :cute:

This is solid advice, especially for mathsy subjects. Did the same in maths further physics computing to get similar results. Past papers all the way
EVERY SINGLE PAST PAPER you need to know the answer/structure everything.
TIMING NEEDS TO BE ON POINT.
HAVE EXTRA KNOWLEDGE NOT JUST THE MINIMAL = A*
Past papers help, with the new reforms it might be tricky to find one for the new spec but it's worth looking at older ones too. Flash cards help and I sometimes look at Student responses but I'm doing essay based subjects so that's why. I tend to hit the books too and it often helps me if I re write what I read from my book.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion

Wow! Amazing grades - well done.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post, I will most definitely take your tips on board. How much revision did you do at AS? Also, when did you start revising?
Reply 6
Original post by demirae
Wow! Amazing grades - well done.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post, I will most definitely take your tips on board. How much revision did you do at AS? Also, when did you start revising?

Around Easter, same as this year :yep: maybe only an hour or two a day, but that was enough. Too much and it starts to become less effective.

More right before the exams of course, once I was into study leave.
Reply 7
In same position as OP, but what about essay based subjects like History?
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion

Did you ever make notes? If so, when did you complete them by?
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion

Hey, sorry to jump in to this, but the courses I am doing are different to last years (new specs for most A Levels this year) and as a result I only have specimen papers to work from that the exam board released - which is limited to one, or two if I'm very lucky, both of which I have already done.

Do you have any advice as to how to go about revision despite this?
Original post by SANTR
Did you ever make notes? If so, when did you complete them by?

Not many, and most were for Geography in the couple of weeks leading up to the exam. Never really looked over them much, it was the making of the notes that was the useful bit for retaining the knowledge.
Original post by celloel
Hey, sorry to jump in to this, but the courses I am doing are different to last years (new specs for most A Levels this year) and as a result I only have specimen papers to work from that the exam board released - which is limited to one, or two if I'm very lucky, both of which I have already done.

Do you have any advice as to how to go about revision despite this?

I don't think I can offer much useful advice really.

I know other people have good revision techniques but mine pretty much relies entirely on past and specimen papers - there's two dozen for each maths module which makes it super easy.
Reply 12
Original post by Alexion
I don't think I can offer much useful advice really.

I know other people have good revision techniques but mine pretty much relies entirely on past and specimen papers - there's two dozen for each maths module which makes it super easy.

This gives me hope. For GCSE i pretty much read the revision guide and did past papers and that worked for me. If you did the same for a level and got straight A's then hopefully it will work for me too. I used to think i wasnt revising properly by just doing past papers. Guess i was wrong :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
This gives me hope. For GCSE i pretty much read the revision guide and did past papers and that worked for me. If you did the same for a level and got straight A's then hopefully it will work for me too. I used to think i wasnt revising properly by just doing past papers. Guess i was wrong :wink:

To be honest, A2 from AS is a bigger step up than AS from GCSE, or so I'm finding...
Reply 14
Original post by Alexion
To be honest, A2 from AS is a bigger step up than AS from GCSE, or so I'm finding...

Really?! Most people say the jump up is less than from AS to A2. But idk it might be different with the new spec because you have to do A2 exams at the end of the 2 years (for some subjects). I know Maths will be harder :,( - how are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest