The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE RS - The Religious Community Revision

I've just joined this site, and I've been struggling to find revision resources for Edexcel IGCSE RS online or in textbooks. I can find the syllabus, but everything else seems to be GCSE, not IGCSE, and whilst there are some similarities, they seem to be quite different.

I've got good notes for most of the Beliefs and Values section. I understand it and I enjoy it. But I'm struggling a bit with the Religious Community - in some places my notes are rubbish or nonexistent, and I really want to find the equivalent of a CGP revision guide, so I can learn everything and make sure I'm not missing anything out.

I'm in Year 11 and I have mocks in January. In my Year 10 exams, I didn't revise enough and I got 3/10 on one question from this section :frown: Luckily, I did well in the rest of the paper, so I ended up with a good mark.

Anyway, it would be great if anyone could share ideas on where to find notes for this course.

Thanks in advance!
I am literally in exactly the same position, but i don't have good notes on section 1b, for beliefs and values, could you help me out with that section. What I have done for religious communities is just revise from the mark schemes.
Reply 2
Original post by mathphysics123
I am literally in exactly the same position, but i don't have good notes on section 1b, for beliefs and values, could you help me out with that section. What I have done for religious communities is just revise from the mark schemes.

Most of that topic is quite easy to get your head around if you know the basic concepts. For example:

God is omnipotent (all-powerful), omniscient (all-knowing), and omnibenevolent (all-loving).

But evil exists in the world. These two claims are incompatible, because God could not have all three of these attributes, yet allow evil to still exist. He could be omnipotent and omniscient - that is, he could know that evil was going to occur and be able to stop it - but not omnibenevolent. He simply does not love us, so has no reason to stop evil. He could be omniscient and omnibenevolent - that is, all-knowing and all-loving - but be physically incapable of preventing evil from occurring. Finally, he could be omnipotent and omnibenevolent, but not omniscient. He simply does not know that evil is about to occur.

But he could not be all three. This principle is called the inconsistent triangle. So then people tried to defend God, by creating theodicies (literally 'defences of God'). These tried to explain the supposed inconsistent triangle and claim that both God and evil can both exist, and God can be omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. For example, the Free Will defense says that God loved us so much he gave us free will and let us do what we want. Inevitably, we will sometimes cause moral evil (evil caused by humans). God is still all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful. He simply is choosing not to stop evil, because he values free will. But then you could criticise that argument. For example, you could point out that this does not account for natural evil (e.g. volcanoes and hurricanes).

Also look up Iraneus' soul-testing theodicy, the Augustinian theodicy, and others.

So you could write about everything I've just said, simply by knowing:
- Definitions of moral and natural evil
- God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient
- The inconsistent triangle
- Outlines of some theodicies
and using your brain.

Sorry if this is unclear or muddled; I'm really tired right now.
I am okay on the evil and suffering part of this section, but am not quite sure about the ultimate reality section (1Ba). Sorry I probably should have mentioned that earlier. I struggle in particular with these parts:
"Religious beliefs/teachings about the nature and character of God; religious beliefs andteachings about the ultimate reality which do not include reference to God; non-religiousattitudes to the idea of an ultimate reality. Monotheism and polytheism, and reasons whypeople believe in one God or many gods." - this was taken from the syllabus.

I also struggle when it comes to the meaning and purpose of life (1Bb)
"Religious beliefs/teachings about the meaning and purpose of life; salvation; liberation; andhow these goals may be achieved. (Differing) views about whether life can only have meaningand purpose for religious people. Non-religious ideas about the meaning and purpose of life.The view that questions about the meaning and purpose of life get in the way of living it to thefull, and making the world a better place." - again taken from the syllabus.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Religious%20Studies/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG022531-International-GCSE-in-Religious-Studies-4RS0-for-web.pdf
Reply 4
I am in the same position here; it's really annoying.
This is rather late but if anyone is still searching: http://www.philosopherkings.co.uk/igcsesection_a.html
These are pretty much the same notes my teacher gave me but in website format. Hopefully, this will be of use to someone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending