The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jayeshp
...Liverpool ask for AAB

But is Liverpool RG?
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
But is Liverpool RG?

Yeah, at least it was last November when I applied?
Original post by JohnGreek
It is, albeit not a very good one lol

Still a RG though which is what I was saying
ucl durham or kings?
Original post by baconwoo
ucl durham or kings?

They're all very good. Depends where you would want to live and whether you think your likely to get the grades
Original post by JohnGreek
Did I ever suggest anything to the contrary?

Did I ever suggest it was you who said anything to the contrary???
Got my one for Durham on the 3rd of Feb
York or Birmingham?
Original post by Assan
York or Birmingham?

York of course!
Birmingham is not bad for law and requires the LNAT but I think it's far away from York's excellent teaching methods :smile:
Additionally, chambers student survey ranks York higher in terms of employability prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
York of course!
Birmingham is not bad for law and requires the LNAT but I think it's far away from York's excellent teaching methods :smile:
Additionally, chambers student survey ranks York higher in terms of employability prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Conflict of interest? :smile:

Leaning towards York definitely
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Durham is killing me only uni I've applied to in Canada and the U.K. that hasn't gotten back to me

But great news. Despite being Canadian/dual national, its difficult to get in to law up there as an undergraduate. I found the north American law schools are ridden tedious and lenghty application process.
More importantly there is no undergraduate law as almost all JDs are taught at postgraduate level so pretty much difficult for us.
I guess you already have an undergraduate degree if wishing to go to Canada for JD?
Original post by Bobkata
York of course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of prestige I would personally rank Birmingham higher than York
Original post by UKStudent2016
But great news. Despite being Canadian/dual national, its difficult to get in to law up there as an undergraduate. I found the north American law schools are ridden tedious and lenghty application process.
More importantly there is no undergraduate law as almost all JDs are taught at postgraduate level so pretty much difficult for us.
I guess you already have an undergraduate degree if wishing to go to Canada for JD?

Lol no I'm Canadian first and just finishing high school
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
In terms of prestige I would personally rank Birmingham higher than York

Why? The rankings say otherwise. My partner went to university in England and said York is better. Not sure what to believe.
Original post by Assan
Why? The rankings say otherwise. My partner went to university in England and said York is better. Not sure what to believe.

Rankings are unreliable. I would also say that Birmingham is slightly better than York for law, but the difference is so minimal that it's not worth taking into consideration. Instead, focus on where you wanna live, whether you'd prefer a collegiate system and the structure of the courses themselves.
League tables, rankings, prestige, reputation etc are all fairly meaningless and they are not good ways to choose a Uni. mainly because they all nebulous nonsense invented by newspapers and marketing companies. A great deal of utter nonsense is spouted about all this stuff on TSR.

The only people who get obsessed with this are school leavers. Mainstream employers don't actually care whether you went to Durham, York or Cardiff. Its a degree. And its from a Uni they have heard of. That is all those employers care about.

In terms of Law there is an equal amount of silly 'I've heard', 'My dad says' type statements here about the nit-picking difference between Unis. Yes, of course there is a difference between Bristol and London Met - but mainly in the A level grades they require. Both courses are recognised by the Law Society therefore clearly both turn out totally acceptable Law graduates.

It would appear that certain London law firms have more employees from one Uni than others, but the reasons for this are NOT because that firm actively seeks candidates from that Uni. It is because there has to be a majority from one Uni (think about that fact), and the chances are that that becomes what is known as a self-fulfilling prophecy - grads from Uni X will apply to Firm Y because they think they have more chance of getting a place there because of the existing employe profile. Grads from a Uni that has no alumni working at that firm will conversely probably not apply thereby reducing the chance of that profile changing. Grads from all RG Unis tend to be more confident and have a higher sense of entitlement than those from 'other' Unis - they are more likely to apply to 'top' employers in ANY field because of this expectation of success.

The idea that if you do your Law degree at Nottingham (or wherever) your life chances are immediately better than doing your degree at Newcastle (or wherever) is frankly utter bunkum.

Life is what you make it. You do not come out of ANY Uni with a barcode stamped on your forehead that allows you an automatic wonder job and guarantees any of you a ridiculously happy life.

So .... stop winding each other up with all this 'my Uni is better than yours' or 'which is better, Uni X or Uni Y' type nonsense. You need to look at the details that will mean you are happier at Uni A over Uni B - course details like interesting optional units, extras like study abroad or work placements, in-house work experience like law clinics, which Uni you'll enjoy being at, which city you can afford to live and which city you think you'll enjoy living in. No League Table can tell you any of this. That is why you went to Open Days all those months ago - so you could get a feel for the difference in each Uni environment and atmosphere. Go back to that. Think carefully about where you will feel comfortable and happy. Make your choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
League tables, rankings, prestige, reputation etc are all fairly meaningless and they are not good ways to choose a Uni. mainly because they all nebulous nonsense invented by newspapers and marketing companies. A great deal of utter nonsense is spouted about all this stuff on TSR.

The only people who get obsessed with this are school leavers. Mainstream employers don't actually care whether you went to Durham, York or Cardiff. Its a degree. And its from a Uni they have heard of. That is all those employers care about.

In terms of Law there is an equal amount of silly 'I've heard', 'My dad says' type statements here about the nit-picking difference between Unis. Yes, of course there is a difference between Bristol and London Met - but mainly in the A level grades they require. Both courses are recognised by the Law Society therefore clearly both turn out totally acceptable Law graduates.

It would appear that certain London law firms have more employees from one Uni than others, but the reasons for this are NOT because that firm actively seeks candidates from that Uni. It is because there has to be a majority from one Uni (think about that fact), and the chances are that that becomes what is known as a self-fulfilling prophecy - grads from Uni X will apply to Firm Y because they think they have more chance of getting a place there because of the existing employe profile. Grads from a Uni that has no alumni working at that firm will conversely probably not apply thereby reducing the chance of that profile changing. Grads from all RG Unis tend to be more confident and have a higher sense of entitlement than those from 'other' Unis - they are more likely to apply to 'top' employers in ANY field because of this expectation of success.

The idea that if you do your Law degree at Nottingham (or wherever) your life chances are immediately better than doing your degree at Newcastle (or wherever) is frankly utter bunkum.

Life is what you make it. You do not come out of ANY Uni with a barcode stamped on your forehead that allows you an automatic wonder job and guarantees a ridiculously happy life.

So .... stop winding each other up with all this 'my Uni is better than yours' or 'which is better, Uni X or Uni Y' type nonsense. You need to look at the details that will mean you are happier at Uni A over Uni B - course details like interesting optional units, extras like study abroad or work placements, in-house work experience like law clinics, which Uni you'll enjoy being at, which city you can afford to live and which city you think you'll enjoy living in. No League Table can tell you any of this. That is why you went to Open Days all those months ago - so you could get a feel for the difference in each Uni environment and atmosphere. Go back to that. Think carefully about where you will feel comfortable and happy. Make your choice.

Great post.

Life is what you make it. You do not come out of ANY Uni with a barcode stamped on your forehead that allows you an automatic wonder job and guarantees any of you a ridiculously happy life.

Solid post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Rankings are unreliable. I would also say that Birmingham is slightly better than York for law, but the difference is so minimal that it's not worth taking into consideration. Instead, focus on where you wanna live, whether you'd prefer a collegiate system and the structure of the courses themselves.

Which city would it be easier to find part time work in?

10/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending