The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham accommodation

Hi! i was just wondering if any current UoB students could give some insight on accommodation at Birmingham? I'm in the process of choosing right now but its harder than I thought it would be! I'm pretty set on being in the Vale and would really prefer an en-suite and be selfcatered but unfortunately there is only one option - Mason and its always oversubscribed:frown:

I was also wondering whether the meal plan will be worth it? I'm a medicine applicant so might be quite busy, do you think its worth the time and energy saved? Some people have complained that its a waste of money? but since im keen on the vale i dont have many options!

If it helps I'm currently interested in Mason, tennis courts, green community, and for meal plan, chamberlain, and shackleton:smile:

Thank you so much for your help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi I am in the same position, if you find out any good information please let me know!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Most of The Vales ensuite accommodation is on meal plan so if you really don't want to be on that your choices are limited. Chamberlain is really nice, everyone there loves it. Mason is good except for the wet room.

Tennis courts is a good option, great on the social side, 5 people in a flat so you're not sharing with too many and they do have ensuite options but I'm not sure if they're available this year? It's also not on meal plan.

Sharing genuinely isn't that bad - I was really apprehensive about this at first but it's been alright, hardly ever had to wait to use the bathroom and I'm in a flat of 10. People are generally considerate, it's only if you get really unlucky with flatmates that you get the horror stories.

As for whether meal plan is worth it or not depends on you. I guess it's quite handy for days when you can't be bothered or if you really can't cook but it is quite expensive for what it is. I spend about £15-20 on food per week. Main thing that put me off meal plan was the set eating times and it'd get annoying having to leave the flat to get dinner all the time.

I've got friends who are medics that aren't on meal plan and they've managed fine if that helps at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by goodwinning
Most of The Vales ensuite accommodation is on meal plan so if you really don't want to be on that your choices are limited. Chamberlain is really nice, everyone there loves it. Mason is good except for the wet room.

Tennis courts is a good option, great on the social side, 5 people in a flat so you're not sharing with too many and they do have ensuite options but I'm not sure if they're available this year? It's also not on meal plan.

Sharing genuinely isn't that bad - I was really apprehensive about this at first but it's been alright, hardly ever had to wait to use the bathroom and I'm in a flat of 10. People are generally considerate, it's only if you get really unlucky with flatmates that you get the horror stories.

As for whether meal plan is worth it or not depends on you. I guess it's quite handy for days when you can't be bothered or if you really can't cook but it is quite expensive for what it is. I spend about £15-20 on food per week. Main thing that put me off meal plan was the set eating times and it'd get annoying having to leave the flat to get dinner all the time.

I've got friends who are medics that aren't on meal plan and they've managed fine if that helps at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!

I was wondering where you currently are? And also if you have sinks in your rooms with sharing a bathroom?
I feel like people tend to get up at the same time so the morning might be a hassle :/ the cost of meal plan is the main thing putting me off it as I thought apart from the opening times of certain venues there's no real set time you can buy things unless I've read it wrong aha :smile:
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JannaX
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!

I was wondering where you currently are? And also if you have sinks in your rooms with sharing a bathroom?
I feel like people tend to get up at the same time so the morning might be a hassle :/ the cost of meal plan is the main thing putting me off it as I thought apart from the opening times of certain venues there's no real set time you can buy things unless I've read it wrong aha :smile:
Thanks again :smile:

No worries, if you've got anything specific feel free to ask.

I'm at Oakley Court - there aren't any sinks in the rooms. Don't think there's much accommodation at UoB with that to my knowledge.

In my flat people have very different timetables so people tend to get up at different times, so I haven't personally experienced any issues in the morning. Also, most places tend to have two toilets and/or two showers in separate rooms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending