The Student Room Group

Worrying about passing GCSE maths.

I've never been 'stupid' when it comes to maths. Always been on target for the strong C I want. As you can tell it's barely my priority.

For the past 2 years I've been getting good marks in foundation papers, a few marks off a C. At that point I knew I'd be ready by May/June to smash the foundation paper and get the C I want.

However, since the past 6 months, teacher think I maybe good at higher and might find it easier. Many class mates say 'yeah you only need %30 easy.

No, not easy i've found. I find it extremely hard to conquer the work. Algebra is the one thing I hate most and I can do bits of the stuff taught about higher but I forget about it and find it hard to use in exam questions. It all becomes a foreign language. Also, I only seem to get low D's. \

I've officially been entered in to do higher maths in a few months time although I've decided ill be much more capable of going for the foundation.

Did a foundation paper for the first time in a while on the spot, without revising, and found i'm nearly there. It's just the small amount of marks I loose is by silly mistakes, not concentrating. I know the answers, I just stupidly write the wrong thing down in the box.

I'm worried though because i'm beginning to wonder wether i'll eventually combat these mistakes and also get a little better at the (*x) questions which require much knowledge to work a problem out. I usually get around 69 on a foundation paper. I need around 75 per paper to achieve a good overall C.

I'm worried though that the school will not let me change my paper, now I've been entered in as a higher student. I know for sure i'm likely to fail in higher although pass in foundation. Advice on what to do. Sorry if there isn't a direct point or question, i'm a little lost.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by coreyhughes
I've never been 'stupid' when it comes to maths. Always been on target for the strong C I want. As you can tell it's barely my priority.For the past 2 years I've been getting good marks in foundation papers, a few marks off a C. At that point I knew I'd be ready by May/June to smash the foundation paper and get the C I want.However, since the past 6 months, teacher think I maybe good at higher and might find it easier. Many class mates say 'yeah you only need %30 easy.No, not easy i've found. I find it extremely hard to conquer the work. Algebra is the one thing I hate most and I can do bits of the stuff taught about higher but I forget about it and find it hard to use in exam questions. It all becomes a foreign language. Also, I only seem to get low D's. \I've officially been entered in to do higher maths in a few months time although I've decided ill be much more capable of going for the foundation.Did a foundation paper for the first time in a while on the spot, without revising, and found i'm nearly there. It's just the small amount of marks I loose is by silly mistakes, not concentrating. I know the answers, I just stupidly write the wrong thing down in the box.I'm worried though because i'm beginning to wonder wether i'll eventually combat these mistakes and also get a little better at the (*x) questions which require much knowledge to work a problem out. I usually get around 69 on a foundation paper. I need around 75 per paper to achieve a good overall C.I'm worried though that the school will not let me change my paper, now I've been entered in as a higher student. I know for sure i'm likely to fail in higher although pass in foundation. Advice on what to do. Sorry if there isn't a direct point or question, i'm a little lost.

Try my Maths thread
i hope that helps you a little :h:
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
Try my Maths thread
i hope that helps you a little :h:

Thank you, it is. Will use a lot.
Reply 3
So you are aiming for a strong C, you average 69 on foundation & a good C is 75? Yet doing the higher leads you to get D & lower?
You'd be best mentioning it to your tutor/teacher to see if you can switch, if not, post the equations on here & someone will explain it to you :-)

PlGLET
I've never been 'stupid' when it comes to maths. Always been on target for the strong C I want. As you can tell it's barely my priority.

For the past 2 years I've been getting good marks in foundation papers, a few marks off a C. At that point I knew I'd be ready by May/June to smash the foundation paper and get the C I want.

However, since the past 6 months, teacher think I maybe good at higher and might find it easier. Many class mates say 'yeah you only need %30 easy.

No, not easy i've found. I find it extremely hard to conquer the work. Algebra is the one thing I hate most and I can do bits of the stuff taught about higher but I forget about it and find it hard to use in exam questions. It all becomes a foreign language. Also, I only seem to get low D's. \

I've officially been entered in to do higher maths in a few months time although I've decided ill be much more capable of going for the foundation.

Did a foundation paper for the first time in a while on the spot, without revising, and found i'm nearly there. It's just the small amount of marks I loose is by silly mistakes, not concentrating. I know the answers, I just stupidly write the wrong thing down in the box.

I'm worried though because i'm beginning to wonder wether i'll eventually combat these mistakes and also get a little better at the (*x) questions which require much knowledge to work a problem out. I usually get around 69 on a foundation paper. I need around 75 per paper to achieve a good overall C.

I'm worried though that the school will not let me change my paper, now I've been entered in as a higher student. I know for sure i'm likely to fail in higher although pass in foundation. Advice on what to do. Sorry if there isn't a direct point or question, i'm a little lost.

Coming to A-levels. i have realised one thing, i could have done in my GCSE maths and it's not to just have done the past papers. BUT, to have got a proper text book (not revisoon guide) and gone through it in depth and done every question. I promise you once you start understanding things and doing it independently it'll all click in :smile: don't wait for the teacher to help you, if you want it, you can do it :smile: good luck.
You should use hegartymaths videos and past papers

If nothing works then you should try talk to your teacher
try using http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/GCSE/period-1/Higher/module.php
and do the summary exercises after each topic
i know exactly what you mean it can be really hard to apply what you've been taught in class to the questions in the paper especially when under time pressure
Reply 7
This may sound stupid but this is a trick I like to use.

1 - Complete a past paper (be it higher or foundation)
2 - Access the mark scheme or a YouTube video containing the solutions, and then mark your paper
3 - FULLY RE-DO the same past paper until you get 100%

Not only will this boost your confidence, but it should also allow you to gain a solid understanding of certain topics that you find difficult and commonly get wrong.
Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PlGLET
So you are aiming for a strong C, you average 69 on foundation & a good C is 75? Yet doing the higher leads you to get D & lower?
You'd be best mentioning it to your tutor/teacher to see if you can switch, if not, post the equations on here & someone will explain it to you :-)

PlGLET

Yeah, thanks I will.
I do feel alot more confortable and secure with foundation because I have got Cs in some mocks before. With the time ive got I think i'd be better polishing with foundation rather than learn pieces of higher which im still not confident will rack up 31 marks in an exam.
Reply 9
Original post by thomas-cowley
This may sound stupid but this is a trick I like to use.

1 - Complete a past paper (be it higher or foundation)
2 - Access the mark scheme or a YouTube video containing the solutions, and then mark your paper
3 - FULLY RE-DO the same past paper until you get 100%

Not only will this boost your confidence, but it should also allow you to gain a solid understanding of certain topics that you find difficult, and commonly get wrong.
Hope this helped :smile:

Thought that myself a few days ago. Thanks I shall do that- think it could cement some mistakes too and make me more aware about the topics.
Reply 10
Original post by the-future-medic
You should use hegartymaths videos and past papers

If nothing works then you should try talk to your teacher

Have heard very good things about him, will takea look. Thanks.
Have heard very good things about him, will takea look. Thanks.

That's okay. Hope you find it useful
Reply 12
Update: Looking through the first thirty marks of the paper and acctually it seems I'm easily capable of getting them. I think my confidence has been knocked much by the higher A/A* work i've been doing in the past few weeks in the higher set I've been put in.

I think I should take the opportunity to recap the easier C grade stuff in the test and then scrub up on the higher stuff I've been doing. Some things like trigonometry and Sin/Cosine rule, area of cones, spheres I can do to the ability of all the B grade students in the class.

Think I just need to learn the stuff I know I can get marks on rather than panic because I can't do the last quarter of the paper.

Really loving TheMathsTeacher.co.uk. Great videos, really helping - especially with the way the lessons are set out, I can work through as if i'm going through a paper, getting better as I go.

Thanks all, will keep you updated.
Reply 13
Thought I'd update this. Since my last post, I've completed what seems like a dozen of past papers atlas, most under timed conditions. Been getting strong Cs even low Bs overall and so therefore it's made me much more confident.

And can only put the progress down to being in the set I moved into; being surrounded by smarter people, watching them tackle questions and making the hard questions I'd once miss look extremely easy and now I can do them too with ease.

So, after all this worrying i'm extremely glad i'm in a strong, stable position for Thursday.

Good luck to all doing GCSE OCR Higher/Foundation maths! - and that actually goes out to all students GCSE/A/AS.

Thanks for your support. I'll let you know my grade in a few months time.

Quick Reply

Latest