The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
Omg Unicorn this is such an interesting read. Gives a good insight into stuff in France. But what 11 exams in 2 days? Are you serious?

Thanks for taking time to answer me :lovehug:
Indeed I'm serious >.< it's such a pressure .. I'm glad I'm done with all of this lol

It seems as though to some extent you validate your intelligence relative to others but whilst that makes sense on some level you should just be confident that you are a smart girl and you don't need external quantitative results to prove that imo. I think we have come to value academic exam results too much, as if it's like some sort of absolute measure of intelligence.

You are absolutely right, and it took me time to finally understand this, but I did :yep:
In France especially, people are more likely to relate intelligence to grades, which is stupid. Thanks for the kind words it means a lot :heart:

I have always done well in exams, through school and university, but I know I don't need those grades to have confidence in my abilities. I believe intelligence is so much more than doing well in an exam.

And you're right, you're fabulous :h:
In bold : thank you :cry2: I'm touched :cry2: :jumphug:

Exams and pressure also take the fun and curiosity out of learning for the most part. The way I think study should become is more focused on true learning as opposed to forced and temporary retainment of information. Idk.

This is why I think french med system is stupid, because they do not let us enough time to "learn" properly, because the majority of people who succeed finally forget what they learned a few months after. Whatever, I didn't make it in Paris, but my dream has no frontier :horse:

Not sure if that even makes sense- it was just my thoughts as I read.

Hope you're okay lovely :smile: xx

Of course it does ! And it helps :yep:

I definitely am ! Can't wait to write the part about my second and definitive failure, when I applied abroad, then people will see that a failure can be a blessing and a freedom, which it was for me.

To be completely honest with you, the failure is the best thing that ever happened in my lifetime, and I'm truly serious. For a lot of reasons, to be continued :h:
I believe intelligence is so much more than doing well in an exam.

If only admissions tutors agreed with you, I could be great. :emo:

Exams and pressure also take the fun and curiosity out of learning for the most part. The way I think study should become is more focused on true learning as opposed to forced and temporary retainment of information. Idk.

Retention*.
Original post by Hydeman
If only admissions tutors agreed with you, I could be great. :emo:

I know the feeling :console:

Original post by Hydeman
Retention*.

What's wrong with this word ?
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
What's wrong with this word ?

'Retainment' isn't a word, as far as I know. :dontknow: It's supposed to be 'retention.' :3
Original post by Hydeman
'Retainment' isn't a word, as far as I know. :dontknow: It's supposed to be 'retention.' :3

Ahh .. Okay xD well rétention is also a word in french - the same one - it'll be easy to remember :mmm:
Ahh .. Okay xD well rétention is also a word in french - the same one - it'll be easy to remember :mmm:

Yes, thanks to your invasion and occupation of England in 1066. :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
Yes, thanks to your invasion and occupation of England in 1066. :unimpressed:

Spoiler

HAHAHAHAHAHA ! You're welcome :innocent:

Spoiler

HAHAHAHAHAHA ! You're welcome :innocent:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

Aw yes xD btw how can I make the difference between 'this' and 'that' ? For me they're the same :cry2:

Fair enough :P
btw how can I make the difference between 'this' and 'that' ? For me they're the same :cry2:

You can hire me for minimum wage to proofread everything you write! :work: :awesome:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
You can hire me for minimum wage to proofread everything you write! :work: :awesome:

Spoiler

Hired ! :happy2:

Awwwww .. I get it ! Thank you :yep:
Caught up now :hugs:
Reply 532
Hired ! :happy2:

Awwwww .. I get it ! Thank you :yep:

You can hire me for free :wink:
Reply 533
Aw yes xD btw how can I make the difference between 'this' and 'that' ? For me they're the same :cry2:

Fair enough :P

this is here
and that is there
Original post by Kyx
You can hire me for free :wink:

Hahaha xD

Original post by Kyx
this is here
and that is there

Yep I understood , thanks anyway ^.^
Reply 535
Hahaha xD

Yep I understood , thanks anyway ^.^

^_^
Hellooooooo ! I'm incredibly in a good mood today I don't know why, just wanna say I LOVE YOU ALL :heart:

Today it's about my summer, an intersting thing to talk about because the pressure is gone, but not totally, as you know you'll have to do the year again, get me ?

Why vacations after such a year are weird.
Because when you used to work all day, you don't know what to do anymore when you have time. I'm not kidding. You are in vacations , you can have some rest, do whatever you want. But you don't wanna do anything, because you used to have no life !
You need a few days to recover and discover real life again. Please don't laugh I'm not joking.

Whatever. What happens in the head of a med student who will retake his year ? Nothing but happiness. But sometimes , here and there between two parties, you hear a voice inside your head. You don't really know what said the voice, but you feel kinda scared. You don't wanna do the year again.
But you have no choice.
Wait.

You do have choice.

And that's why you're scared. Because you're afraid of not being strong enough to continue. And I attest it's an awful feeling. Awful.

My summer was amazing, because I had a life. Besides, my best friend came from New-Caledonia to see me, and that was both amazing and awful. Because she was in 1st year of med as well, and had a nice place in the rating , she was about to retake her year too, but she was pretty sure she'll do well for that year.
I was not.
And I was feeling kinda left behind. Weird feeling when you consider that my friend was supporting me and believed in me all the time. But when you had to get through a 1st year of medicine, all your feelings become weird anyway.

The year was supposed to start again on the 10th september, but as doublants - a doublant is someone who retakes the year remember ? - me and my friend have to take advantage of it and decided to start working around the 12th august. We were having quite "cool" days , with around 6h of work per day at the library, which was paradise for us - we did only 6h during all the month then we would not be too tired on the 10th september -. It was a great time anyway.

The last summer party.
Around the 8th september, we had our last party. We were all med students at that party, some of us were year 2 and 3, and it was awesome. I remember that at 2 am everyone started to feel a bit nostalgic - end of the summer you know - and we all went in the yard, sat down and talked.
Talked about the year, talked about us.
Talked about numbers.

Some of us were like "I think I can make it this year, because I was only the -insert great number here - th " . It was sad you know. It was sad because I had some friends who were like around 1500th , and were hopeless.
HOPELESS.
Before even starting.

What the hell is this crappy system of numbers. One of my friend went to the toilet, she didn't want to hear us anymore.I was feeling weird , because of my own number. My friends said they were believing in me, that I would make it.
That my number was an accident. That I would make it.

But what if my number was not an accident ? What if my number was just what I deserved ? What I have been through was not an excuse. A lot of people have been through a lot of things.

I wanna be an other number.

Why can't we just party right now ?

What kind of life is this. Tell me. Tell me how numbers can destroy a life. Because they did.
They destroyed us, they destroyed our mind, they distroyed our hope.
Numbers are hell.
But truth is truth.

We were all numbers.

Thanks for reading :lovehug:
Next time is about semester 1 of my second year ! - to clear confusion my second year is still 1st year of medicine, as I had to do it again - and the D-Day !

As usual, thanks to my dear Matrix for the corrections :jumphug: :heart:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 537
:cry2:

:lovehug:
Original post by the bear

:lol: :jive:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending