The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I want Steve Mc Laren
:colone:
Original post by AR_95
Really don't understand why people want Pellergrini in lol. Do you really think he's going to do a better job than Wenger? We're tied in points with City even after the fact that they had an equal, if not better squad before the last window, and a bigger transfer budget.

He is a pretty safe pair of hands for a short-term stop gap until we get someone younger..

I haven't seen many people come up with great suggestions about who would be a good permanent replacement, so why not go with an available manager who is proven in this league, and clearly even in his worst season is still at our level.

Dont blame him to much for this season.. injuries have been horrible, squad is old, and motivation is lacking given that he is confirmed to leave.. yet still they have a trophy and are in the CL semi-final.. a better season then we have had in 10 years..
If the last few games have proven anything it's that we need a proper creative cm to replace Santi. Maybe Jack is that guy but you have to plan for a future without him injury wise.
Add a top striker and a winger into that as well.

On top of that there are areas where depth hasn't been tested this season that could prove a problem; if Bellerin gets injured Chambers is not a good enough stand in. Same arguably for Gibbs if Monreal gets injured (I expect Gibbs will leave this summer anyway). And what about Ozil? Our best player hasn't been injured this season, what if he gets injured and is out for 3 months next season? Who provides creativity? Ramsey hasn't shown he is capable, Jack never plays and Santi can't play cam to save his life.

I know you can't plan for every occassion, but I also know us Arsenal fans will bitch and moan in 6 months time when one of those 3 gets injured and is out for 3 months and we have no decent back up, putting yet another title challenge down the shitter.
Reply 6743
Original post by leinad2012
Yes, but let's ignore the fact their 4 best players have been out for 3 months of the season each, completely trashing their core line up, alone with virtually every starter being out for a month each. And let's ignore the fact that City played their entire 2nd back 4 for the first 6 games of the season because their entire starting back line was injured.

And despite this they're still in the semis of europe....

Injury wise bar our CM's we've had barely any injuries.

You're an absolute clown if you think Pellegrini wouldn't do a better job than Arsene.

Because Arsenal have never been in that position, have they?

And it depends on what you quantify as "A better job". Pellergrini with easily the best squad in the league when he joined, has only won 1 title and two league cups. I'm not convinced with his signings either, as after 3 years he's left an ageing Man City which still needs a rebuild. He's been tactically outdone by almost all of the big teams this season, and also last, even when he's had the better sides. Not that I'm saying Wenger is any better but that's besides the point. Pellergrini is very much a sideways move, and when you consider our rivals who have Klopp, Pochettino, Conte, Guardiola, Mourinho? He just doesn't size up.

I'd much rather we appointed someone younger/fresh as well. Nothing we can do now other than give Wenger another season, because it's too late, we've missed out on Klopp.
Seeing as Wenger's contract is due to finish next year, hopefully the board will take more of an approach into acquiring the next top manager.
Players I suspect of doping this season:

Zarate
Kouyate
Joel Ward
Zouma
Jamie Vardy
Ross Barkley
Harry Kane
James Morrison
Lewis Grabban
Yaya Toure
Cuco Martina
Shane Long
Jose Fonte
Firmino
Joe Allen
Diego Costa
Rashford
Herrera
Wayne Routledge
Ashley Williams
Alderweireld
Andy Carroll
Bolaise
Reply 6745
Original post by fallen_acorns
He is a pretty safe pair of hands for a short-term stop gap until we get someone younger..

I haven't seen many people come up with great suggestions about who would be a good permanent replacement, so why not go with an available manager who is proven in this league, and clearly even in his worst season is still at our level.

Dont blame him to much for this season.. injuries have been horrible, squad is old, and motivation is lacking given that he is confirmed to leave.. yet still they have a trophy and are in the CL semi-final.. a better season then we have had in 10 years..

I'm not sure how safe he would be but what's the point of hiring a safe stop gap when we already have Wenger, who basically is the safe option?
Only he is to blame for an old Squad, especially after 3 years and a sizeable transfer budget.
Reply 6746
Original post by AR_95
Really don't understand why people want Pellergrini in lol. Do you really think he's going to do a better job than Wenger? We're tied in points with City even after the fact that they had an equal, if not better squad before the last window, and a bigger transfer budget.

This.

There aren't too many good managers available - but that doesn't mean we should just go pick up managers who have been associated with top clubs for the sake of it.

Pellegrini wouldn't win us a title at all imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
We better get someone in who doesn't cost £8m a year, and give him time. CL non-qualification is pretty much acceptable given the money of PL membership nowadays
Original post by swirly
Players I suspect of doping this season:

Zarate
Kouyate
Joel Ward
Zouma
Jamie Vardy
Ross Barkley
Harry Kane
James Morrison
Lewis Grabban
Yaya Toure
Cuco Martina
Shane Long
Jose Fonte
Firmino
Joe Allen
Diego Costa
Rashford
Herrera
Wayne Routledge
Ashley Williams
Alderweireld
Andy Carroll
Bolaise

lol'd, not sure how many people will get this
Original post by Diego Costa
Who do you want instead? There aren't exactly loads of options out there.

Not sure, a smarter person than myself would have a few options lined up but I feel like we've lost some great chances to line up managers this season. I wouldn't mind giving Sampaoli a chance, even Allegri (although near impossible) would be a fantastic choice.

What I do know is what to expect next season if Wenger is in charge, as does the majority of football fans. It's boring and now it's become painful to watch. He doesn't even seem to have the players playing for him anymore, they're just looking to see out this car crash of a season. That's the point where you realise you just have to move on. He's proven over the last three seasons (two if we're being generous) that he can't take his club any further, he always comes up short when it matters most and it's just not good enough for the standards of this club.

It would obviously be a huge gamble bringing in a new manager, no guarantee of top 4 which is usually the case with Wenger but it's gotten to the point now where we need to take new risks and bring in new ideas. We've been dwelling in mediocrity for too long now and in terms of our status in Europe; we're a laughing stock. A new manager with a new approach would help build us up again and give the fans something to look forward to, something which is evidently missing judging by the atmosphere in the ground.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AliRizzo
lol'd, not sure how many people will get this

Care to explain the jokefor those who dont? :wink:
Care to explain the jokefor those who dont? :wink:

All the PL players that have scored against us this season :giggle:
I don't think any Arsenal fan who wants Wenger out now believes that a new guy will do any better next year, it's more a case of wanting reparations for another abysmal season
Original post by AliRizzo
All the PL players that have scored against us this season :giggle:

Ahhh, the obsession is strong
Ahhh, the obsession is strong

the obsession with your own team:colonhash:

image.jpg
I wouldn't be happy with Pellegrini. A capable but not outstanding manager who makes questionable signings. Why swap like for like?

I'd rather Löwe, post euros, please.
I can't be bothered to calculate but I'm pretty sure with the new TV deal the 17th placed PL team gets more money than the champions of a few years back. If the extra CL money isn't bigger than the PL prize gap then there's no point qualifying for the CL anymore
Original post by johnd45
image.jpg

Original post by Jimmy Seville

lmao yeah I know, we can only keep dreaming...

Latest