The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiny hobbit
Has taught what? Are you doing IAL or "ordinary" A level?

"ordinary A-level," I assume you mean knowledge that a quadratic equation in the form x2+bx+c x^2 + bx + c where α \alpha and β \beta are the roots of the equation can be expressed in the form x2(α+β)x+αβ x^2 - (\alpha+\beta)x + \alpha\beta
Original post by NotNotBatman
"ordinary A-level," I assume you mean knowledge that a quadratic equation in the form x2+bx+c x^2 + bx + c where α \alpha and β \beta are the roots of the equation can be expressed in the form x2(α+β)x+αβ x^2 - (\alpha+\beta)x + \alpha\beta

The IAL goes a lot further, wanting you to find the equation with roots alpha cubed and beta cubed, etc.
Original post by GarlicBread01
I thought the edexcel FP1 book teaches Alpha and Beta way to work out the quadratic equation when given two complex roots?Or are you guys talking about something else

Yeah I just did a IAL fp1 paper and the alpha and beta questions are a bit different, still possible to do but harder
Original post by GarlicBread01
Yeah I just did a IAL fp1 paper and the alpha and beta questions are a bit different, still possible to do but harder

and won't be on the ordinary FP1 papers.
Can I do part b of this question by comparing coefficients? When trying it by comparing coefficients I get different values for the root? Its from the FP1 specimen paper btw.
Attachment not found
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1461139341.871856.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Can I do part b of this question by comparing coefficients? When trying it by comparing coefficients I get different values for the root? Its from the FP1 specimen paper btw.
Attachment not found
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1461139341.871856.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because what you've written isn't true, the coefficient of x^2 on the LHS is 2 and the coefficient of the RHS is 1. So you need to multiply the entirety of the RHS by 2.
Original post by tiny hobbit
So make sure that you work through the R papers (and the appropriate questions on the IAL papers).

Um... so... what are R papers? I am so confused :lol:
Original post by Imperion
Um... so... what are R papers? I am so confused :lol:

"Regional" papers, they have since been replaced by IAL but they were the papers sat by international (non-UK) candidates.
Original post by Zacken
Because what you've written isn't true, the coefficient of x^2 on the LHS is 2 and the coefficient of the RHS is 1. So you need to multiply the entirety of the RHS by 2.

Ohh, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
"Regional" papers, they have since been replaced by IAL but they were the papers sat by international (non-UK) candidates.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :redface:
Original post by Glavien
Ohh, thanks.

Original post by Imperion
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :redface:

:cool:
How's is everyone's revision going for this module?

There is just under a month left for the big exam ...
Original post by LelouchViRuge
How's is everyone's revision going for this module?

There is just under a month left for the big exam ...

Good, just need to work on Matrix equations where numerical methods are not allowed and tricky coordinate system questions.
Rectangular Hyperbola.png

Part (a) was done with ease, but how do I do part (b), so far I've got;

x=6r,y=6r x = 6r , y = \frac{6}{r}

dydx=6r216\therefore\frac{dy}{dx} =-\frac{6}{r^2}\cdot\frac{1}{6}

=1r2 = -\frac{1}{r^2}

mn=r2\therefore m_n = r^2

I think I have to show somehow that the gradient is the same, so r2=1pqr^2 = -\frac{1}{pq}

Have I done it right and where do I go from here?
(edited 8 years ago)

What is the gradient of PR? What is the gradient of QR? What equation can you form linking these two gradients together from the information in the question?

Then what is the gradient of the normal to H at R, blah blah, you'll figure it out once you do the above.
Rectangular Hyperbola.png

Part (a) was done with ease, but how do I do part (b), so far I've got;

x=6r,y=6r x = 6r , y = \frac{6}{r}

dydx=6r216\therefore\frac{dy}{dx} =-\frac{6}{r^2}\cdot\frac{1}{6}

=1r2 = -\frac{1}{r^2}

mn=r2\therefore m_n = r^2

I think I have to show somehow that the gradient is the same, so r2=1pqr^2 = -\frac{1}{pq}

Have I done it right and where do I go from here?

Hey! What paper is this in?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMacJack
Hey! What paper is this in?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

IAL F1 June 2015. :smile:
IAL F1 June 2015. :smile:

Awesome man - cheers

How ya feeling about FP1?
Original post by iMacJack
Awesome man - cheers

How ya feeling about FP1?

Confident for the A, but still need more work for 100 UMS. My teacher is going to give my class the 2015 paper as a mock, so I won't look at it and use it as an indicator for what UMS I will achieve.

How are you feeling about this exam?
Confident for the A, but still need more work for 100 UMS. My teacher is going to give my class the 2015 paper as a mock, so I won't look at it and use it as an indicator for what UMS I will achieve.

How are you feeling about this exam?

Same as you! I definitely need to put in work into proof by induction & matrix algebra (going to do the mixed exercises and stuff)

Yeah the 2015 paper was good! Good luck on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending