Ethaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :hugs::jive::jive::jive:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Ethaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :hugs::jive::jive::jive:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed you Matrix!!! :cry2: :hugs:
Original post by iEthan
I missed you Matrix!!! :cry2: :hugs:

Awww I've missed you too! :h: I trust you're well and no longer ill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww I've missed you too! :h: I trust you're well and no longer ill?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed I am!!! I'm eating cereal as we speak! :cookie: How're you?!
Original post by iEthan
Indeed I am!!! I'm eating cereal as we speak! :cookie: How're you?!

Yaay! :biggrin: oooh what type, if you don't mind me asking? (I know, it's a very personal question:colondollar::ahee:)
Great thanks - although I'm still awaiting the music quiz results for Rhythmical's thread because apparently a certain someone still hasn't done it... :mmm:

How has your day been? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yaay! :biggrin: oooh what type, if you don't mind me asking? (I know, it's a very personal question:colondollar::ahee:)
Great thanks - although I'm still awaiting the music quiz results for Rhythmical's thread because apparently a certain someone still hasn't done it... :mmm:

How has your day been? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG I FORGOT! :crazy:

I'll do that ASAP! I'm having chocolate pillows :drool: and they're lovely :love:

Pretty good! But how're you??!!!
Original post by iEthan
OMG I FORGOT! :crazy:

I'll do that ASAP! I'm having chocolate pillows :drool: and they're lovely :love:

Pretty good! But how're you??!!!

:facepalm: Gooood! :rofl:

Ooooh nice :h:

I said I'm great thanks :awesome:
Feel slightly mentally hyper for some reason:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh this sounds very interesting:yep: Did you do numerical methods at A Level or was it something you only started looking at in uni? Ohh I see - well it's a good thing you like both. Have you regretted it at any point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, there was some numerical methods at A level. There was (for us) an iterative method for finding roots of equations, and one for approximating the solutions of definite integrals (a definite integral is the area under the curve on a graph, you won't have come across this yet but will in c2 of your A level if you go for that), although the word numerical method wouldn't have been mentioned at that point.

I can't say I've regretted it at all, I certainly wouldn't have been able to spend three years studying all of the interesting maths I would have done. I also went on a summer school with the London Mathematical Society, this was brilliant. I also wouldn't have been able to get onto the PhD course I chose, which I think will be really intersting. It is a lot of work and a lot of commitment, but really enjoyable (for me, but I'm a nerd :smile: ).

btw, is the name Matrix a reference to mathematics or the film? Associativity is actually a reference to group theory, from maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish

I BLOODY LOVE Tom Scott! :love:
Original post by iEthan
I BLOODY LOVE Tom Scott! :love:

Citation Needed is the best thing ever. :biggrin: Though I was a subscriber from when saw this video. :giggle:

Citation Needed is the best thing ever. :biggrin: Though I was a subscriber from when saw this video. :giggle:

You're totally right :yep: I was a subscriber from the Google Glasses video :tongue: -- I captioned that in French! :love:

YOU LIKE ASHENS TOO?! I've seen this already, I DIED.
:king1:
Original post by Associativity
Well, there was some numerical methods at A level. There was (for us) an iterative method for finding roots of equations, and one for approximating the solutions of definite integrals (a definite integral is the area under the curve on a graph, you won't have come across this yet but will in c2 of your A level if you go for that), although the word numerical method wouldn't have been mentioned at that point.

I can't say I've regretted it at all, I certainly wouldn't have been able to spend three years studying all of the interesting maths I would have done. I also went on a summer school with the London Mathematical Society, this was brilliant. I also wouldn't have been able to get onto the PhD course I chose, which I think will be really intersting. It is a lot of work and a lot of commitment, but really enjoyable (for me, but I'm a nerd :smile: ).

btw, is the name Matrix a reference to mathematics or the film? Associativity is actually a reference to group theory, from maths.

I see. Thanks for explaining everything so simply :smile: the finding roots of equations sounds really interesting to me.

That's great to hear. Maths is generally a very hard subject so I think it's probably easy to feel like you regret it at some point. Wow that sounds awesome! What kinds of stuff did you do at the summer school? Good good, it's quite rare for me to find people who love maths :biggrin:

It's a reference to mathematics. Oooh what's group theory about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[scroll][/scroll]

AHHH She stole the cup :frown:
I see. Thanks for explaining everything so simply :smile: the finding roots of equations sounds really interesting to me.

That's great to hear. Maths is generally a very hard subject so I think it's probably easy to feel like you regret it at some point. Wow that sounds awesome! What kinds of stuff did you do at the summer school? Good good, it's quite rare for me to find people who love maths :biggrin:

It's a reference to mathematics. Oooh what's group theory about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_theory
not sure if that's helpful, but a group is basically an algebraic structure. You have a set, and a binary operation which will combine two elements of the set to produce another element of the set. Think of rotational symmetries of the square. If you rotate a square by any multiple of 90 degrees, it's still a square, so they're symmetries. If you combine any two rotations, you still get a rotation. Also, since any rotation has an inverse (which will undo the rotation), since rotation by 0 degrees is an identity element (an element that does nothing), and since composition of these rotations has a nice property called associativity (namely that a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c, which is not true for everything), the rotational symmetries of a square form a group.

Latest