The Student Room Group

How do I answer this essay question

In todays world, the question we are asking is not simply "are you an evironmentalist?", but rather, what type of environmentalist are you?" how far do you agree?

It is essay

I explain the different types of evirons and give the similarities and differences between them. Then what do i do?

Reply 1
Anyone
Hello there,

So basically, according the wording above, you have discuss whether you think that question widely up for debate is simply:
a. are you an environmentalist
or
b. what kind of environmentalist are you?
There question is not asking you whether you, personally, are and environmentalist and if so what kind (although nothing is stopping you from referring to yourself in your essay) but rather: 'what are the parameters of the public debate on environmentalism?' [Do you following my thread?]

I image that the parameters of such a debate would vary a lot around the world. For instance, in the US where there are many rich oil companies there is still a much climate change denial present in public debates. However, simultaneously President Obama has repeatedly acknowledged and taken action against climate change (for instance with his recent block of the extension of the Keystone pipeline). That does not mean to say the there are not moderate through to hardcore environmentalists in US however the public debates still centres more on whether it is necessary to be taking action now against climate change.

The situation in Europe is quite different. The recent Paris conference on climate change has revealed a strong divergence in attitudes toward to environmentalist action present in different states. Some countries have bigger aspirations for reducing emissions than others, for instance. So, here you could talk about a debate on different varieties of environmentalism and which is the best to follow.

In your essay you might want to contrast the US debate with the European debates (look up and compare goals, statements by officials, and policies). Perhaps refer to environmentalist groups in there various countries and discuss how they are viewed by media. It might also be interesting to write about the context in these different parts of the world: how much revenu comes from oil, how is the government organised (it is relatively easy or difficult for the government to pass environmental policies?), what is the influence of outside bodies like (eg. the EU in Europe), is there a history of climate change protest, how free is the media of the country (perhaps it could be interesting to discuss approaches to clime change in China; is protest allowed?).

So here you go. I actually enjoyed making those notes. Let me know what you come up with and I can proof read for you if you like. What level of study is it?
Reply 3
Original post by Des_Lumières
Hello there,

So basically, according the wording above, you have discuss whether you think that question widely up for debate is simply:
a. are you an environmentalist
or
b. what kind of environmentalist are you?
There question is not asking you whether you, personally, are and environmentalist and if so what kind (although nothing is stopping you from referring to yourself in your essay) but rather: 'what are the parameters of the public debate on environmentalism?' [Do you following my thread?]

I image that the parameters of such a debate would vary a lot around the world. For instance, in the US where there are many rich oil companies there is still a much climate change denial present in public debates. However, simultaneously President Obama has repeatedly acknowledged and taken action against climate change (for instance with his recent block of the extension of the Keystone pipeline). That does not mean to say the there are not moderate through to hardcore environmentalists in US however the public debates still centres more on whether it is necessary to be taking action now against climate change.

The situation in Europe is quite different. The recent Paris conference on climate change has revealed a strong divergence in attitudes toward to environmentalist action present in different states. Some countries have bigger aspirations for reducing emissions than others, for instance. So, here you could talk about a debate on different varieties of environmentalism and which is the best to follow.

In your essay you might want to contrast the US debate with the European debates (look up and compare goals, statements by officials, and policies). Perhaps refer to environmentalist groups in there various countries and discuss how they are viewed by media. It might also be interesting to write about the context in these different parts of the world: how much revenu comes from oil, how is the government organised (it is relatively easy or difficult for the government to pass environmental policies?), what is the influence of outside bodies like (eg. the EU in Europe), is there a history of climate change protest, how free is the media of the country (perhaps it could be interesting to discuss approaches to clime change in China; is protest allowed?).

So here you go. I actually enjoyed making those notes. Let me know what you come up with and I can proof read for you if you like. What level of study is it?

Hello

Thank you for taking out the time to answer my question. This is a year one politics essay.

Can i send you the essay after i have finished it, tonight and hopefully you give me some feed back

Again thank you so much
Original post by goldNwhite
Hello

Thank you for taking out the time to answer my question. This is a year one politics essay.

Can i send you the essay after i have finished it, tonight and hopefully you give me some feed back

Again thank you so much

Np, of course you can. Send it to me and I will try and look tonight.
Reply 5
Original post by Des_Lumières
Np, of course you can. Send it to me and I will try and look tonight.

Thanks, i have anothet very similar question

In todays world, the question we should be asking is not simply "are you a faminist?", but rather, "what type of feminist are you?". How far do you agree with this statement

Sorry to take up your time and thanks
Original post by goldNwhite
Thanks, i have anothet very similar question

In todays world, the question we should be asking is not simply "are you a faminist?", but rather, "what type of feminist are you?". How far do you agree with this statement

Sorry to take up your time and thanks

Don't be sorry!

I think a partially historical treatment of the question [perhaps section one of two] above may be an interesting approach. In this way, you would be better placed to discuss the types of feminism to be found today. Over the course of the last century feminist theory and action have changed considerably although there are a number of key texts that were at the origin of feminist movements and have had a huge influence on their development. For instance, 'La Deuxième Sexe' by Simone de Beauvoir was pivotal. As I understand it, this book had a strong influence on subsequent trends in some areas of academia, as well as upon the radical feminist movement (citations needed!).

It may be interesting to look at the influence of feminism on academic theory (as it demonstrates quite well divergences in doctrine). In literary theory, for example, at one end of the spectrum analysis involves a framework for understanding the writer's artistic choices through the influence of the patriarch (perceived or present, take your view) upon the quasi-totality of the writer's artistic decisions. At the other end of the spectrum one finds a more moderate approach seeking to selectively relate more indisputable examples of sexism within the texts' socio-cultural contexts, and their influence on the writer, which can be associated with moderate feminism; one also finds a concern for the content of texts' socio-cultural contexts often presenting as an appreciation of them a historical sources [of course, this is my vernacular representation of a complex set of factors, you would need to look into feminism in literary theory; feminist historical theory is another interesting].

Having identified different strands of feminism doctrine, perhaps contrasting different representations of the same events, I image you will be interested in examining the real world implications of these outlooks. Radical feminism, with its roots in theory, was carried so far by social movements until it evolved, roughly speaking, into cultural feminism. You may be interested in looking into the factors relating to radical feminisms' demise, leading into an interrogation into the state of it today. A contemporary example could be of the Russian rock band ('Pussy Riot', I think) who were imprisoned not long ago. How were there views represented and viewed by the media?

A third section with a more technical evaluation of feminism today (strongly tying this to the question and the parameters of contemporary discussion on feminism) may lead to a rich development of the argument. Is there a direct link between the type of government in a state and the breadth of the public discussion on feminism? Again, the parameters of the debate will vary greatly according to political and other local factors. Sociological factors must surely come into play as well: are the distinguishing factors that seem to be associated with particular types of feminism? [I would warn against going to deeply into this for a politics essay however it is nevertheless essential to the discussion at hand]. I.e. Is radical feminism more often found in Europe or on other continents? Finally, how have changes in law effected the engagement with questions of feminism? This is potentially another strong angle, giving way to expansion on points relation to changes in the types of labour in developed societies ect.

It's a huge area and there are many ways to skin a cat. What I have outlined above is probably beyond the scope of your word limit, so I would recommend taking a two part historical/ contemporary society and political approach or leaving the context more and breaking down the points I have suggested under a third section.

I hope this gave you some ideas!
Reply 7
Anyone else
Reply 8
Any uni politics students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending