The Student Room Group

can we stop with this ludicrous assumption that beauty is completely subjective?

im pretty sure if you got brad pitt, and asked the entire planetary population to rate him on a scale of 1-10, the results would probably follow a binomial distribution, with his mean score at 9.9999999999999

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol
Reply 2
Objectively 99.9% will say Brad Pitt is handsome.

However, their attraction to him is subjective.
Beauty is subjective
Personally I wouldn't, his muscles aren't huge enough
Beauty is definitely subjective. I'd put him at about a 6, personally. And I'd put my boyfriend at a 10 because I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses :wink:
When you're in love or have a crush on someone, you don't notice their imperfections
Original post by iEthan
Beauty is subjective

definitely not true
I dont find him attractive.
Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrotstar
Beauty is definitely subjective. I'd put him at about a 6, personally. And I'd put my boyfriend at a 10 because I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses :wink:
When you're in love or have a crush on someone, you don't notice their imperfections

:lol:

im sure you wouldnt fall head over heels if you met brad in real life when he was a young lad :lol:
people may have similar tastes in general
Original post by Straighthate
definitely not true

:erm: everyone is entitled to their opinion!
definitely not true

Definitely subjective.
Reply 14
I do not understand why Brad Pit is meant to be attractive.
As for his wife, she in my opinion revoltingly ugly.
:u:
:lol:

im sure you wouldnt fall head over heels if you met brad in real life when he was a young lad :lol:

Nah, my 'radar' is switched off now I'm in a happy relationship. It's got to the point where I'll be out with my friends, they'll point someone out, and I'm just not attracted any more.
Original post by carrotstar
Nah, my 'radar' is switched off now I'm in a happy relationship. It's got to the point where I'll be out with my friends, they'll point someone out, and I'm just not attracted any more.

lol
without going into biology
the radar is never switched off, evolution isnt designed that way
definitely not true

Why wouldnt our idea of beauty be subjective? What I find attractive is probably very different from what you do, and so what is attractive is a personal opinion, which makes it a subjective idea
lol
without going into biology
the radar is never switched off, evolution isnt designed that way

I don't understand what's so funny? I'm just not attracted to anyone else :dontknow:
Original post by an_atheist
Why wouldnt our idea of beauty be subjective? What I find attractive is probably very different from what you do, and so what is attractive is a personal opinion, which makes it a subjective idea

there are certain proportions and features that are deemed attractive by the general population
you cant argue this, its fact that a certain proportion of society deems those features attractive, that is objective, it doesnt vary much between any population afaik

look at the study above, its 50/50
its not 100% subjective at all

Quick Reply

Latest