The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UKStudent2016
X

You posted this three times consecutively. :redface:
Got rejection from all 5 choices re M100 LLB Law. A bit perplexed and baffled as my tutor and others were predicting I would have got an offer based on what I have. I think it's possibly down to LNAT due to my low score of 13, which was due to my misunderstanding of the computerised system and I missed a complete section out. Never sat in a computerised test. It's a pity that as a mature student in early 40s with wealth of experience in fields of both practical and academic areas (e.g. work demanded to comply professional research reports for corporations and gov etc), I couldn't make it through. Certainly my employer wouldn't be impressed, given they would have sponsored for the entire programme, as the degree is closely connected to my area of profession. Sadly my sponsor would only pay to study law at selected unis. For us older people it takes time to get used to knowing the computerised testing system that seems more like a computer game that comes with time pressure which is probably more suited to 17-18 yrs old teenagers than us mature students who likes to take step back and look at the bigger picture. (I can't compete to play time testing new games apps with my child (which I found LNAT computerised system to be like) but can prepare deadline complex driven reports and presentations for large government depts and corporations. Sad that such skills is less relevant than being coached into jailbreaking the technical software driven LNAT tests.

I acknowledge I could be alone in such views /and or could be wrong but thought there's no harm in expressing it.

Have to resort to Open Uni or ULaw as other unis would prove to be too expensive since their programmes won't be sponsored and I don't see its worth taking a career break from work and pay the fees which would prove too costly.
(Despite being a UK citizen I wouldn't qualify for student finance due to personal circumstances).

:-(
X

We get the message. :rolleyes:
Original post by The Lion
When I applied it took at least 1.5 months before I got any offers or was invited to interview. It can seem a long process, but pls bare in mind that the time is not because their oowing and ahhing over you, its because of administrative backlog. Some are quicker than others at it.

Additionally I'm a final year law student so if anyone has any questions for me do go ahead. Additionally I got offers from all the uni's I applied to and was predicted AAA (got AAB in the end):

York (where I am now and my firm)
Cardiff (my insurance)
Newcastle
Manchester
Glasgow

How's York?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
You posted this three times consecutively. :redface:

Oh dear, apologies, I didn't mean to, there was problem in the slow browser and it kept on asking me to refresh. A technical glitch....

:frown:
Oh dear, apologies, I didn't mean to, there was problem in the slow browser and it kept on asking me to refresh. A technical glitch....

:frown:

Oh right, technical problems (like in the LNAT :redface:)?

About your situation:
-No option for non-LNAT universities?
-Was your application strong overall?
-What universities were they?

I appreciate that there may have been computer difficulties on your end, did you raise this concern with the appropriate bodies?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Oh right, technical problems (like in the LNAT :redface:)?

About your situation:
-No option for non-LNAT universities?
-Was your application strong overall?
-What universities were they?

I appreciate that there may have been computer difficulties on your end, did you raise this concern with the appropriate bodies?

There were mainly the Lon unis e.g. SOAS, UCL KCL etc. Employer, like many US based employers, would only sponsor/pay for the entire degree only at the selected chosen LNAT unis, sadly that is the case. They apply the same method back in the US e.g. only sponsor for degrees at LSAT approved institutions.

I did clarify my position with the unis concerned but to no avail other than standard response and welcoming me to consider applying in the next cycle, which I can't afford to wait given age is not in my favour.
(edited 7 years ago)
There were mainly the Lon unis e.g. SOAS, UCL KCL etc. Employer, like many US based employers, would only sponsor/pay for the entire degree only at the selected chosen LNAT unis, sadly that is the case. They apply the same method back in the US e.g. only sponsor for degrees at LSAT approved institutions.

I did clarify my position with the unis concerned but to no avail other than standard response and welcoming me to consider applying in the next cycle, which I can't afford to wait given age is not in my favour.

That does sound unfortunate. :s-smilie:
How important is it that you read law at degree level?
Would your study with the University of Law or the Open University be subsidised? If so, then that is a good option. :smile:
Got rejection from all 5 choices (mainly Lon unis/those with LNAT requirements), M100 LLB Law A bit perplexed and baffled as my tutor and others were predicting I would have got an offer based on what I have. I think it's possibly down to LNAT due to my low score of 13, which was due to my total misunderstanding of the computerised system and I missed a complete section out. Never sat in a computerised test. It's a pity that as a mature student in early 40s with wealth of experience in fields of both practical and academic areas (e.g. work demanded to comply professional research reports for corporations and gov etc), I couldn't make it through. Certainly my employer wouldn't be impressed, given they would have sponsored for the entire programme, as the degree is closely connected to my area of profession. Sadly my sponsor would only pay to study law at selected unis.

Have to resort to Open Uni or ULaw as other unis would prove too expensive and won't be worth taking a career break that would prove too costly.

:-(

i too felt that the LNAT was a very crude way of testing students but i have to say that 13 is extremely low. the essays are the more important part according to professors ive spoken to though anyway
Original post by baconwoo
durham or ucl?

obviously ucl
Original post by JNDSAN
obviously ucl

There is nothing obvious - UCL will make no material difference in anything.
Don't forget that Unis also read Personal Statements. For many Unis that carries as much or more weight than qualifications and LNAT combined.

To UKStudent, I suggest you get feedback on your rejections, and take a long and critical look at your PS, then rewrite it. Do some practice LNAT essays, retake LNAT and reapply next year.
Original post by *Stefan*
There is nothing obvious - UCL will make no material difference in anything.

it is obvious if you want to go to the better, more reputable, more internationally renowned university with much better networking connections with magic circles etc
Original post by JNDSAN
it is obvious if you want to go to the better, more reputable, more internationally renowned university with much better networking connections with magic circles etc

Between Durham and UCL there is no difference.

This idea that Law firms only pick applicants from one Uni is something school leavers obsess about - and is actually total bunkum.
Original post by returnmigrant
Between Durham and UCL there is no difference.

This idea that Law firms only pick applicants from one Uni is something school leavers obsess about - and is actually total bunkum.

I dont think anyone said that: i do law at UCL and there's networking events every week and from the people i've spoken to at Linklaters, A and A, S and May etc they've said they do prefer LSE, UCL and Kings to Durham.
Original post by JNDSAN
I dont think anyone said that: i do law at UCL and there's networking events every week and from the people i've spoken to at Linklaters, A and A, S and May etc they've said they do prefer LSE, UCL and Kings to Durham.

Its a form of professional flirting - they want you to think you are 'special' to them.

They say exactly the same thing to Law grads at Bristol - and probably Durham as well.
Original post by JNDSAN

Sure, sure :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JNDSAN

It is neither more reputable nor has better networking connections with MC firms. If anything, Durham completely overcame UCL in terms of trainees in firms, despite UCL's almost double size.

Internationally, perhaps yeah, nationally, not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please read my response to a similar 'which Uni is best' question a few months go : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3673257&page=199&p=63875275#post63875275
Original post by returnmigrant
Its a form of professional flirting - they want you to think you are 'special' to them.

They say exactly the same thing to Law grads at Bristol - and probably Durham as well.

I'm well aware there's always an element of that but the recruitment from UCL vs recruitment from Durham numbers at magic circles and the bar speak for themselves as well international reputation rankings. Ignore them at your own peril, unless of course you're already a Durham student.

Latest

Trending

Trending