The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

If you use the matrix transformation on the formula book (with cos theta and -sin theta etc) and solve the equations for this, remembering the theta values must be between 0 and 360 degrees because it's a rotation then this should help :smile: let me know if you need a better explanation!

Draw it and remember tanθ=oppositeadjacent tan\theta =\frac{opposite}{adjacent} and just consider what quadrant it is in.
Yeah I used the matrix rotation formula, and equated the top left elements to get

cosθ=32\cos \theta = - \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}

but then using cos inverse gives me pheta = 150

which would mean an anticlockwise rotation through 150 about O but thats wrong??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GarlicBread01
Yeah I used the matrix rotation formula, and equated the top left elements to get

cosθ=32\cos \theta = - \frac{\sqrt {3}}{2}

but then using cos inverse gives me pheta = 150

which would mean an anticlockwise rotation through 150 about O but thats wrong??

Yeah so you find that and using cos (2pi-theta) is the only other valid solution in the range this means theta can also equal 210. Then use the transformation matrix again to find the inverse of sin( -0.5) which gives you -30 degrees which is out of range, so we do 180- this value of theta to get a value in range which also gives 210 degrees so since both equations now equate to theta equals 210 and this is in range this is the answer :smile:
Original post by Don John
As I posted in last year's Edexcel FP1 thread, I have written an Enhanced Examination Paper for both Edexcel and MEI FP1.

It is meant to be a significantly more challenging examination of general concepts specified by different boards. It is fully doable for students with knowledge of standard FP1, C1, and C2 material.

If you can make a good start on all of the questions then you should be on track to a strong A in this module.

Good luck!

https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/fp1_enhanced.pdf

Please could anyone show their working for question 8b of these? Not sure I understand it! Thanks :smile:
Original post by economicss
Yeah so you find that and using cos (2pi-theta) is the only other valid solution in the range this means theta can also equal 210. Then use the transformation matrix again to find the inverse of sin( -0.5) which gives you -30 degrees which is out of range, so we do 180- this value of theta to get a value in range which also gives 210 degrees so since both equations now equate to theta equals 210 and this is in range this is the answer :smile:

I dont get it. So I get theta equals 150. How do you know not accept that answer?
Why do you go looking other solutions?
I dont get it. So I get theta equals 150. How do you know not accept that answer?
Why do you go looking other solutions?

Because the inverse of sin(-0.5) doesn't equal 150 when you put it in your calculator and the values need to match
Because the inverse of sin(-0.5) doesn't equal 150 when you put it in your calculator and the values need to match

Oh I see. Another similar question I did, when comparing all 4 of the elements they all gave me the same angle so I didnt have to look for other solutions.

But for this question since the cos and the sine dont give the same value, I have to find a the value (in range) which matches both ?
1462913579798.jpg
Oh I see. Another similar question I did, when comparing all 4 of the elements they all gave me the same angle so I didnt have to look for other solutions.

But for this question since the cos and the sine dont give the same value, I have to find a the value (in range) which matches both ?

Yeah that's it :smile: This might helpimage.jpg
Yeah that's it :smile: This might helpimage.jpg

Ah it makes sense, thanks loads for the help!
Ah it makes sense, thanks loads for the help!

No worries, good luck for the exam!

But it accepts the 150 degrees answer.

Screenshot_1.png

Which is basically the same thing but in the other direction.
I find it much easier to just draw it and find the angle that it makes with the x-axis and then find the total rotation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Screenshot_1.png
Attachment not found

Can someone explain how this is done?
("FP1 is as difficult as F1" i don't think so :biggrin:)
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
Screenshot_1.png
Attachment not found

Can someone explain how this is done?
("FP1 is as difficult as F1" i don't think so :biggrin:)

Hi, this is a good one, I think what you need to do when proving something is divisible by a large number (>10 or so) is when you are at the "consider when n=k+1" bit, you substitute away the 7^2k using what you just did for n=k.

Do you see what I mean?

Scan0021.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Patrick2810
Hi, this is a good one, I think what you need to do when proving something is divisible by a large number (>10 or so) is when you are at the "consider when n=k+1" bit, you substitute away the 7^2k using what you just did for n=k.

Do you see what I mean?

Scan0021.jpg

I think so, thank you for that!
I have found the F1 IAL jan 16 paper but does anyone know where the jan 16 IAL FP1 paper?

many thanks
Original post by Patrick2810
I have found the F1 IAL jan 16 paper but does anyone know where the jan 16 IAL FP1 paper?

many thanks

There is no Jan FP1 paper.
Original post by Zacken
There is no Jan FP1 paper.

Hi

Was there a june 2015 IAL FP1 paper?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending