The Student Room Group

Muslim migrants are forcing Christians to take part in Islamic prayers at refugee cam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yeah our hotel had muslim dining room only. Muslim swimming pool only. Then 2 of each solely for non muslims. Maybe the lack of enforcement of your discrimination laws tells us something :smile:

No i am not lying nor misunderstanding, filthy eeeengleesshh peeegs spit at feet, rinse repeat. It was endemic. Lovely people them Egyptians :colonhash: Yes many could have been Christian because outside the hotel, there were zero Egyptian women.

You would think you would treat your cash cow a little better than open hostility but im afraid twas not the case. Not all the Egyptians were bad, about 7 or 8 were lovely and non hostile out of the hundreds we encountered. Christians, muslims, who knows

Which hotel was it? I am sure the main ones don't have separate swimming pools, hotels like Hilton and Sheraton. Some hotels may be trying to accommodate certain tourists, i.e. Saudis and so on who may wish to have a swim without having to look at women as they'd consider that forbidden. Generally speaking that's not the case everywhere. As for the people you encountered, I wouldn't think a lot of people are like them given that before 2011, the majority of tourists to Egypt were English, around 8 million a year I think it was. So I can't imagine English people coming back if they weren't welcomed.
Original post by oShahpo
Which hotel was it? I am sure the main ones don't have separate swimming pools, hotels like Hilton and Sheraton. Some hotels may be trying to accommodate certain tourists, i.e. Saudis and so on who may wish to have a swim without having to look at women as they'd consider that forbidden. Generally speaking that's not the case everywhere. As for the people you encountered, I wouldn't think a lot of people are like them given that before 2011, the majority of tourists to Egypt were English, around 8 million a year I think it was. So I can't imagine English people coming back if they weren't welcomed.

Cant remember its name. Yea I assumed that was the reason but separate dining hall aswell was crazy.

I would say 95% of Egyptians outside the hotel were openly hostile towards us. It was awful. It was 2012 around the time Morsi came to power. That said it doesnt appear to be uncommon behaviour reading about other Brits experiences in Egypt. I Guess some of us like to take the risk and some just cannot resist the beautiful weather and country.

A shame really because its a good relationship to have for both
Cant remember its name. Yea I assumed that was the reason but separate dining hall aswell was crazy.

I would say 95% of Egyptians outside the hotel were openly hostile towards us. It was awful. It was 2012 around the time Morsi came to power. That said it doesnt appear to be uncommon behaviour reading about other Brits experiences in Egypt. I Guess some of us like to take the risk and some just cannot resist the beautiful weather and country.

A shame really because its a good relationship to have for both

It could be a mixture of bad luck and the political status of the area you were in. My friend is Italian and who used to go there every year, prior to the 2011 revolution, and nothing like that was experienced. There was a famous case of an American who was groped by a taxi driver, but that's as much as I have heard about the situation.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/sharm_el_sheikh/holiday-reviews/
Most of the reviews there seem positive, no mention of such hostility, but I can imagine it happening in certain areas.
Reply 43
Ahh Egypt. Had a wonderful holiday there. Beautiful country, scenery and weather. The segregation of Muslims and non muslims in our hotel and the spitting, cursing and hissing at non muslims by muslims was a slight dampener though.

My friend, hissing and spitting are considered a great honour in some places.

Original post by oShahpo

As to your statement, I can only tell you it's absolute rubbish. Europeans are treated with respect in most Muslim countries, even the extreme ones like Iran. So your comparison isn't really valid.

When i went to egypt, there were signs in multiple shop and cafe windows stating 'no danish'. They werent refering to the pastry
Original post by Farm_Ecology
When i went to egypt, there were signs in multiple shop and cafe windows stating 'no danish'. They werent refering to the pastry

Must have been butthurts angry over the Danish cartoons. Keep in mind that those are people who were told by the Media that out of nowhere, Danish people decided to make fun of them and their prophet. Also keep in mind that they're probably not aware of the presence of Muslims in Denmark. But yea nevertheless you'll find your fair share of ignorami in Muslim countries, not disputing that.
Original post by oShahpo
Must have been butthurts angry over the Danish cartoons. Keep in mind that those are people who were told by the Media that out of nowhere, Danish people decided to make fun of them and their prophet. Also keep in mind that they're probably not aware of the presence of Muslims in Denmark. But yea nevertheless you'll find your fair share of ignorami in Muslim countries, not disputing that.

Now that is pure apologism.

I suppose you have you have no issue with shops in France banning muslims? Or is it only Muslims that you think are so deficient in critical thought that they can't make their own choices?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Now that is pure apologism.

I suppose you have you have no issue with shops in France banning muslims? Or is it only Muslims that you think are so deficient in critical thought that they can't make their own choices?

I would understand it if shops in France decided to ban Muslims, I am not saying its right but I would understand it. And no it's not just Muslims, but a good portion of the working class in general tend to be "deficient" as you say and tend to follow the media blindly. Whether its Englishmen joining the EDL, Muslims hating "America" or "insert country" "insert stupid **** a good minority of their working class does".

And more importantly, I wasn't being apologetic, I couldn't give at toss what they did. Before you start labeling people, how about you use your brain a tiny bit? The original poster was saying that Muslims are treating non-Muslims badly in the Mid-East and North Africa, I gave an example where they weren't. You said certain shops were against Danish people, then I made my comment not to justify their actions, but to stress my point that the hatred is not directed towards non-Muslims in general, but only towards Danish people for reasons I mentioned above. Is that a good thing? no, but it isn't complete hatred to infidels as some of the posters above like to think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by jon2016
yea you missed the one where my sister was attacked in town centre because wearing a hijab makes her responsible for paris attacks

so excuse me if someone of try and protect our lives

You are disgusting. Terrorist sympathiser
Original post by Omen96
You are disgusting. Terrorist sympathiser

Glad to see right wingers joining in the great game of "When your argument breaks down, call the other person a [racist/terror sympathiser].
Original post by oShahpo
Segregation :biggrin:? lol. I don't know much about your hotel but it's a crime to discriminate based on religion there. There is no such segregation in the country itself.

As for the spitting and hissing, I can only imagine you're either lying or misunderstood the situation, for the simple fact that you can't tell the difference between an Egyptian Muslim and a Christian, unless they're women and the Muslim one is wearing headscarf. Are you referring to hissing and spitting against tourists? Again I can't imagine this to be true as tourists are the only source of income to people living in touristy places.

Islam is still recognised as the official religion with legislation being primarily dictated by Sharia (http://www2.ohchr.org/english/issues/minorities/docs/11/Al-Kalema-3A.pdf). A report is published annually by the State Department to investigate religious freedom in a multitude of countries, of which Egypt is one: http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/menasource/state-department-religious-freedom-report-highlights-discrimination-in-egypt-s-judiciary

According to the report, Egypt’s religious minorities, 10 percent of which are Christian, and 1 percent Shia, as well as small groups of Quranists, Ahmadi Muslims, fewer than 100 Jews, up to 1,000 Jehova’s Witnesses and 2,000 Bahais, have faced issues of societal discrimination, as well as governmental discrimination and inaction...The report also points to longer sentences given to Christians as opposed to Muslims convicted of the same crime. In some cases of sectarian violence, only Christian suspects were sentenced, while Muslim suspects were acquitted. After the 2013 clashes in the village of Khusus in Qalyubiya, during which at least two Christians and one Muslim were killed, 43 defendants were sent to trial. No suspects were presented for the killings of the Christians. One Christian defendant was given a life sentence, while two others were sentenced to 15 years each. Eight Muslims were given sentences ranging from six months to five years. The remaining 32 Muslim defendants were acquitted.

Point being, that compared to other Islamic nations, Egypt remains relatively more open. However, to conclude that "there is no such segregation in the country itself", as you have said, is wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by oShahpo
Glad to see right wingers joining in the great game of "When your argument breaks down, call the other person a [racist/terror sympathiser].

Huh? The guy never made a comment to me. I was making a comment to him. It was nothing about the thread, I was identifying him as a terror sympathiser
Original post by oShahpo
Yea I understand but the problem is that countries like Egypt, Lebanon and Turkey usually get lumped with all the other Muslim countries when referring to places of Islamic extremism, even though they're mostly secular.

He said North Africa, Turkey and Lebanon are not in North Africa, fail.
Original post by oShahpo
What's with the name calling? I thought right-wingers were fed up with people calling them "racist", but they're totally okay with calling left wingers "terrorist sympathisers"? As to your statement, I can only tell you it's absolute rubbish. Europeans are treated with respect in most Muslim countries, even the extreme ones like Iran. So your comparison isn't really valid.
It is a perfectly valid comparison, what part of the word "generally" don't you understand?It basically means on average, or for the most part. Lefties usually do this, one will use the word usually / often / generally and make a correct point, the lefty will reply (like you have) with an isolated example that does not prove anything.

The fact remains, Muslim countries do not treat minorities well compared to non-Muslim countries.
Hardly surprising.
Reply 55
Original post by VoteLeave
Muslim migrants are forcing Christians to take part in Islamic prayers at refugee camps, and regularly threatening those who converted from Islam, German study claims

A new study has found that Muslim migrants in Germany are forcing Christians to take part in Islamic prayers at refugee camps and threatening those who leave the religion.

The report by Christian group Open Doors Germany claims that half of the 231 Christian refugees questioned said they felt bullied by Muslim migrants or guards, while in reception centres or refugee camps.

And now the organisation, which helps Christians around the world who feel they are being persecuted due to their religion, is calling for German authorities to keep non-Muslims in separate centres to ensure their safety.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3582553/Muslim-migrants-forcing-Christians-Islamic-prayers-refugee-camps-regularly-threatening-converted-Islam-German-study-finds.html

Serves them right, I had to put up with years of god bothering from Christians in assembly at school so its right they should get a taste of it themselves.
Original post by Maker
Serves them right, I had to put up with years of god bothering from Christians in assembly at school so its right they should get a taste of it themselves.

Democratic much? *shakes head* when democracy calls for equality, where forced religion and forced marriages are frowned upon. The fact you say 'god bothering' does not suggest the extent at all of what is presented in the report. Under Article 9 ECHR, everyone has the right to believe what they like and manifest what they believe, providing it does not breach the rights of others, like the right to say 'no' under Article 8.

It is reports like the above, that causes concern to the UK's place in an open-door-policy-EU - if behaviour such as this can occur out of the EU by any religion, then such behaviour can be repeated inside the EU, which is in complete contrast to what the EU ought to stand for.

How many schools do the 'god bothering' assemblies now? which I add, is a different issue to the the issue presented in the OP that has been side-tracked. Those who care for democracy ought to be concerned, unless tainted by 'democratic' processes.
Original post by Omen96
Firstly, my approach has not had a chance to be implemented so I don't know what you are on about?

(Dare I ask...) So what would your approach be and how would you go about implementing it? :smile:

Original post by Omen96
Secondly, if a Muslim is pathetic enough to join terrorists over criticism towards them or Islam, they deserve to die. You can criticise me and I won't start blowing people up. You have just demonstrated that Muslims are weaker than the rest of us if you are defending them for becoming murderers over small minor issues

Some Muslims face prejudice. This is not just criticising Islam (which I'm fine with) but the population of the moderates in general, which is bigotry.

But let's say fine, they do "deserve to die", what about the innocent Western civilians that die along with them in suicide bombings? Do they also deserve to die? Don't you think you are just feeding this ISIS (and others) machine rather than switching it off?
Original post by BinyQuan
You want to deport everyone including Christians

If Christians went around raping and forcing Muslims into prayers I'd be all for deporting them.

But atm they don't seem to be,
Original post by Aceadria
Islam is still recognised as the official religion with legislation being primarily dictated by Sharia (http://www2.ohchr.org/english/issues/minorities/docs/11/Al-Kalema-3A.pdf). A report is published annually by the State Department to investigate religious freedom in a multitude of countries, of which Egypt is one: http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/menasource/state-department-religious-freedom-report-highlights-discrimination-in-egypt-s-judiciary

Point being, that compared to other Islamic nations, Egypt remains relatively more open. However, to conclude that "there is no such segregation in the country itself", as you have said, is wrong.

I perfectly understand that there is injustice and discrimination, but the segregation I was referring to is the pool segregation that he was referring to, that Muslims have different pools to Non-Muslims.There is no large scale segregation as someone might infer from his comment, but yea the past governments have been in differential to a certain degree when it comes to Christians.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending