The Student Room Group

Would you volunteer to fight against ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K2G
Uhm, No?

Mainly because they're not even that active anymore and secondly because I'm pretty sure these men have not trained themselves, they have support from many governments imo, these guns, rockets etc. are not made by ISIS and definitely not taken from the villages they have managed to take over. These men aren't hiding and world forces can't do anything to stop them, so what makes you think ordinary people like us will manage it?

What makes you think that?

T72, T62 and T55 tanks are widely used by the Syrian government, and ISIS operates many captured ones. Same with the BMP infantry fighting vehicles.

Their assault rifles and machine guns are mostly Russian in origin (AK47, PKs and variants, etc) captured from the Syrian government and rebels. Some are American made ones captured from the Iraqi army. The machine guns you see mounted on trucks are often Dushkas or ZU-23-2s - these are operated by pretty much every group in Syria and are also Russian in origin (a lot of the Syrian army's equipment is Russian or old Soviet stuff). The ammunition for all of these is widespread in that area, and easy to find or smuggle in.

Their artillery pieces are also captured from the Syrian and Iraqi governments, and they even improvise some mortars using home made launchers and modified gas canisters (google "hell cannons", these are also widely used by other rebel groups in Syria).

Their anti tank missiles are (surprise surprise) Russian made ones that the Syrian army uses. They have used American TOWs on just a handful of occasions after capturing them from US backed rebel groups.

ISIS does not have support from any government, and all their equipment can be explained by captures from other groups.
No.
This is retarded...
If things haven't gone so well on the 18th of August this year, I will happily volunteer.
Original post by RezzBerry
They may have not made ISIS any stronger but they have made their message heard. They want to create separation. Don't you think that is the threat, itself? If there is enough isolation of Muslims, there'll be plenty of hate and unrest.

Their message was heard long before the bombings. And the ideology of separation is a disgusting one, but until ISIS pose a significant threat to our way of life I can't see many people genuinely wanting to go over and fight them.
Reply 25
Original post by K2G
So, you're saying that all these bombings where hundreds die isn't pushing it too far?

Please tell me when there has been a terrorist attack on British soil which has killed hundreds of people.

The last significant terrorist attack in this country was 7/7, over ten years ago. There simply is not the will to engage in a full-scale conflict in the region, especially after Afghanistan. However, if there was an attack which killed, say, 500 people, and a "face of evil" to rally against (a new bin Laden figure) I believe that we would go to war.
Reply 26
yes. i mean we are muslims but they are the crazy ones. i just dont like the idea that i would have killed someone.
Not unless they attacked us directly. I would feel very uncomfortable shooting at a man speaking a language I don't understand.
I'd definitely want to help the war against them somehow. Maybe not on the front line but dropping air strikes or planning attacks I'd happily do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
No for the fact I dont really know what or who Im fighting. Too much conspiracy surrounding government for me to signup to any form of military unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karl pilkington
I kind of think of myself as a coward but like to think I would fight against ISIS if there was enough people. Would you fight against them if you were asked to by the government and only given an m16 and some body armour?

What's stopping you?
Well, the UK are already sending in the drones. Seems more of an efficient approach (despite civilian deaths :frown:).
Original post by alirs
Assad ftw

Allah Suriya Bashar w bass :u::colondollar::daydreaming:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What's stopping you?

not enough people to join me a bit of cowardice
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, as they currently pose no real threat to the West and hence would not want to throw myself into the deserts where they roam and end up dying a horrible, painful death.

So you only care about the West? You don't care about non Westerners
Original post by Multiculturalism

This thread asks if we would fight against ISIS. As a Westerner I can only answer it from that perspective.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This thread asks if we would fight against ISIS. As a Westerner I can only answer it from that perspective.

He means yes
Original post by donutellme
He means yes

I know he did
Original post by donutellme
He means yes

I know he did

No. That's neither what I said nor what I meant, you're just trying to derail the thread.
Original post by karl pilkington
I kind of think of myself as a coward but like to think I would fight against ISIS if there was enough people. Would you fight against them if you were asked to by the government and only given an m16 and some body armour?

No because i have no training, but i guess it'd be fun shooting someone

Quick Reply

Latest