The Student Room Group

AQA AS/A2 English Language and Literature 7706/7707

Is anyone studying this course? It is in its first year of running so there are little to no resources out there. I am studying the anthology on Paris, unsure if there are any others, and our tutor chose Frankenstein and Browning.
Is anyone out there?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dizzythinker
Is anyone studying this course? It is in its first year of running so there are little to no resources out there. I am studying the anthology on Paris, unsure if there are any others, and our tutor chose Frankenstein and Browning.
Is anyone out there?!

Hey, I'm also doing the Paris Anthology. But I'm doing Duffy for poetry and the Handmaid's tale
Original post by Hassanh
Hey, I'm also doing the Paris Anthology. But I'm doing Duffy for poetry and the Handmaid's tale

Thank goodness! How are you revising for the anthology? There are some really awful pieces in there!
I am also doing Duffy and Handmaids tale! I seriously need help with revision though, like how do I revise for the exam on friday can anyone help me? I always get D grades when we do practise essays :frown:
Reply 4
need help with revision for this anthology (paris)
Reply 5
T.e.s has some good resouces on the anthology
Reply 6
Not sure if this thread is still going but I'm studying this course! Do you have any idea what you're going to focus on for your NAE, whether that be themes or texts?
Reply 7
Original post by geohan
Not sure if this thread is still going but I'm studying this course! Do you have any idea what you're going to focus on for your NAE, whether that be themes or texts?

Hey, yeah... my idea is based on governmental/Media's control over society. So, I'm choosing a Dystopian text and will be linking that to either something recent like the EU Referendum, or perhaps a society controlled by a dictatorship e.g. North Korea. Do you have an idea on what you'll be doing?
am doing john Donne for poetry/lovely bones and Paris anthology and also great Gatsby/streetcar for the other exam
Glad that someone finally made a thread for this :biggrin:

I am doing Frankenstein, John Donne, Gatsby, and Streetcar. It isn't just you guys, the Paris Anthology seems to range from texts that are dully simple and tediously dense with no in between. Oh well, keep at it, just remember that once you're in uni you'll be studying much more interesting material.

Any ideas of what to do for the Making Connections module? I was thinking of how themes in the Bible relate to language in today's religious speeches / brochures, but that was after an all-nighter. Now that I think about it, it just seems obscure. Any inspirational ideas?

Btw, what is this 'NAE' everyone is talking about?
(edited 7 years ago)
So glad there's a thread for this! I'm doing Frankenstein + Heaney in paper 1 for AS and paris for paper 2? Has anyone that got an A/B, any tips for exam technique in terms of making notes and annotating in the exam or the use of plans in exam constraints? A good paragraph structure that will ensure an A?😆
Original post by TerribleGrades
So glad there's a thread for this! I'm doing Frankenstein + Heaney in paper 1 for AS and paris for paper 2? Has anyone that got an A/B, any tips for exam technique in terms of making notes and annotating in the exam or the use of plans in exam constraints? A good paragraph structure that will ensure an A?😆

Hi!

I have been taught to structure my paragraphs around the language levels, e.g. semantics, grammar, phonetics (for poetic voices), and discourse. Just use lots of terminology in your points and engage with how the language is used. Good luck!
Original post by DeepInside
Hi!

I have been taught to structure my paragraphs around the language levels, e.g. semantics, grammar, phonetics (for poetic voices), and discourse. Just use lots of terminology in your points and engage with how the language is used. Good luck!

I see! How many pages do you think is sufficient and is a conclusion necessary?
I been taught it as Lexis, Grammar, Phonology and Structure. ^^;
Reply 13
I see! How many pages do you think is sufficient and is a conclusion necessary?
I been taught it as Lexis, Grammar, Phonology and Structure. ^^;

Hey, I was wondering has your teacher not shown you the exemplar 40/40 anthology answer from the Aqa website? Honestly it's really helpful as i got 35 last year, so here's hoping for more this yr.
Original post by Hassanh
Hey, I was wondering has your teacher not shown you the exemplar 40/40 anthology answer from the Aqa website? Honestly it's really helpful as i got 35 last year, so here's hoping for more this yr.

They have, but I find the contexuaisition of the anthology really useful for the genre, purpose, CoP and CoR. I'm just really gutted we don't get that in the exam. I mean what if a picture or a graphic novel extract comes up? We've not really done much on images.
Reply 15
They have, but I find the contexuaisition of the anthology really useful for the genre, purpose, CoP and CoR. I'm just really gutted we don't get that in the exam. I mean what if a picture or a graphic novel extract comes up? We've not really done much on images.

Omds, yes!! Like I had to highlight that to my teacher, like she didn't realise immediately :redface: There are like 30 plus texts and A03 is neccesary, so yup just suppose revise as much as u can. French Milk is one full of images, but just state it's cos the writer made comics, ect...
Original post by Hassanh

Could you send me that exemplary answer. Thanks. 😺
whack some terminology in so say French Milk is a multimodal text: comic illustrations and text- makes it sound a bit fancier!
Original post by clrobinson3
whack some terminology in so say French Milk is a multimodal text: comic illustrations and text- makes it sound a bit fancier!

Basically haha. Paper 1 was an alright exam but felt like I messed up cos I didn't finish the poetry section in time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
This is me right now, do you have my revision sites??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending