The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Accommodation at newcastle?

hi hoping to study geography at newcastle in september,

wondering which accommodation is better: castle leazes seems better for social/partying but park terrace is good location and just looks nicer really haha any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Mate, It looks like EVERYONE is putting park terrace first. I agree its probably the best accommodation, but the sheer amount of people putting it first (including gap year students, who get first priority in a way). Theres under 250 rooms as well, meaning that the majority wont get that choice. I would go for Leazes (self catered)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Tom5pence
Mate, It looks like EVERYONE is putting park terrace first. I agree its probably the best accommodation, but the sheer amount of people putting it first (including gap year students, who get first priority in a way). Theres under 250 rooms as well, meaning that the majority wont get that choice. I would go for Leazes (self catered)

When you say Leazes do you mean castle leazes or leazes parade?
Hey there! Windsor Terrace is pretty decent (I put park terrace first and ended up getting none of my preferred choices - fair warning). If you wanna read a post on it, check out my blog post here http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/flatmates.html :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dezza156
Hey there! Windsor Terrace is pretty decent (I put park terrace first and ended up getting none of my preferred choices - fair warning). If you wanna read a post on it, check out my blog post here http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/flatmates.html :smile:

Did you have the uni as your firm? If you don't mind me asking
Original post by Mo Tayee
Did you have the uni as your firm? If you don't mind me asking

Yup it was my firm and I got the grades required - so many people don't get their choices if your first is one that everyone is going for, you'll have much better luck putting windsor terrace or marris house first (unless you've the money to put liberty plaza first)
Reply 6
Yup it was my firm and I got the grades required - so many people don't get their choices if your first is one that everyone is going for, you'll have much better luck putting windsor terrace or marris house first (unless you've the money to put liberty plaza first)

Oh damn, I shouldn't have left it so late😁 I'm thinking of park terrace then Leazes parade and struggling between which order to have castle leazes windsor terrace or Marris house in😭, any suggestions? Want a place which is lively since I'm guessing if you want quiet you've got your own room for that, soooo
(edited 7 years ago)
Castle Leazes is quite dirty I found, you dont actually have a separate flat from anyone else so anyone can walk outside your room making it quite loud. Windsor I'd def put up there it's really nice :smile:
Reply 8
Castle Leazes is quite dirty I found, you dont actually have a separate flat from anyone else so anyone can walk outside your room making it quite loud. Windsor I'd def put up there it's really nice :smile:

Oh the thing I heard about windsor is you get charged for ridiculous stuff so I wasn't too sure whether that was entirely correct, I'm thinking of putting it as my third now as it does look nice, what would you recommend as the last 1 as I have 5 choices there, and which would you say is like the top 3 liveliest yet decent one as I don't want to be a boring sod but I do want to aim for as high (sorry for all the questions!!)😊
Oh the thing I heard about windsor is you get charged for ridiculous stuff so I wasn't too sure whether that was entirely correct, I'm thinking of putting it as my third now as it does look nice, what would you recommend as the last 1 as I have 5 choices there, and which would you say is like the top 3 liveliest yet decent one as I don't want to be a boring sod but I do want to aim for as high (sorry for all the questions!!)😊

I stayed in Bowsden Court - it's right by South Gosforth metro and it was majorly lively while I was there (my flat were out nearly every night and there were always pres going on somewhere in the building). It's also cheaper than the rest for an ensuite because it's not near campus but the metro never bothered me - you'll be most likely needing to use the metro in 2nd year anyway! Top 3 liveliest I'd say is Ricky, Leazes and Windsor, but I'm not sure Ricky's a choice for yous this year and I just do not have a good opinion of Leazes (I like where I'm living to be clean haha). Windsor's right by the library as well, whereas Leazes is a 20 min walk from it.
I stayed in Bowsden Court - it's right by South Gosforth metro and it was majorly lively while I was there (my flat were out nearly every night and there were always pres going on somewhere in the building). It's also cheaper than the rest for an ensuite because it's not near campus but the metro never bothered me - you'll be most likely needing to use the metro in 2nd year anyway! Top 3 liveliest I'd say is Ricky, Leazes and Windsor, but I'm not sure Ricky's a choice for yous this year and I just do not have a good opinion of Leazes (I like where I'm living to be clean haha). Windsor's right by the library as well, whereas Leazes is a 20 min walk from it.

Thanks a lot for that! It's really helped, I think I'm definitely leaning towards Windsor now, in probably gonna pick on campus because knowing me I'm lazy to walk all the way/get bus (second year will def be a struggle for me hahaha)
By leazes aswell do you mean castle leazes? Hearing mixed comments about it like its lively and everything but then it's like not that nice to live in so I'm half and half on it
Thanks a lot for that! It's really helped, I think I'm definitely leaning towards Windsor now, in probably gonna pick on campus because knowing me I'm lazy to walk all the way/get bus (second year will def be a struggle for me hahaha)
By leazes aswell do you mean castle leazes? Hearing mixed comments about it like its lively and everything but then it's like not that nice to live in so I'm half and half on it

I mean castle leazes - as far as I'm aware leazes parade is pretty decent but I've never been! Castle leazes is lively, you just have to sacrifice a decent living space and shower in questionable conditions, which is why I was only ever there for pres!
Also most people use the metro (buses are even more of a nightmare than the metro is)
I mean castle leazes - as far as I'm aware leazes parade is pretty decent but I've never been! Castle leazes is lively, you just have to sacrifice a decent living space and shower in questionable conditions, which is why I was only ever there for pres!
Also most people use the metro (buses are even more of a nightmare than the metro is)

Hi,
Any comments about turner court? I haven't heard much about it and it looks really decent tbh
Hi,
Any comments about turner court? I haven't heard much about it and it looks really decent tbh

Hey! Turner Court I think is new this year - it wasn't on my list of options so I'm really not sure about it! However, it probably is quite nice since it is new - I imagine it's much the same as Liberty Plaza and The View.
I really wouldn't put Park Terrace, my friend live there this year and it wasn't very social.
Castle Leazes should definitely be your top pick, I lived at Ricky Road this year and it was definitely the best (+ shittest) accommodation for first year but since that's getting knocked down, definitely go for Castle Leazes uncatered; if you go for catered you don't get meals on weekends and little things like a table in your kitchen which is daft. My mate lives in Leazes and it's great AND has it's own bar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending