The Student Room Group

Thinking about which subject to drop (AS Level)

Hello, this is a first time post so please move me to the appropriate section of the forum because I'm unsure where to post. I have been thinking for quite a while on this and I really need other people's opinion.

I currently take at AS Level: English Lit., Psychology, Business Studies, and History. I am 1 exam out of 8 down currently but I am thinking about after the AS exams are over as I need to drop 1 of the 4 subjects I have chosen.

I am definitely certain I will either be dropping Psychology (Which I planned on dropping since Y11 when I chose the subjects) or English Literature. Although I intended on dropping Psychology, English Lit. has been very difficult for me for multiple reasons. I enjoy and find the other subjects more interesting than English Lit. but I chose it for the reason that I felt that it would be an appropriate subject for the career path I am choosing: Law.

As of now I really feel like if I were to get rid of English Lit. it would relieve a lot of pressure that I am feeling. I feel that the subject takes up 60% of my workload and I'm not even getting any good grades from it, I feel like I've been consistently producing mediocre work.

I guess the question that comes out of this post is would dropping which subject should I drop? But I feel like this is just a chance for me to vent more than anything at my dilemma :P
Thanks to anyone who took time to read this post! :smile:
Original post by ManOfJuanWay
Hello, this is a first time post so please move me to the appropriate section of the forum because I'm unsure where to post. I have been thinking for quite a while on this and I really need other people's opinion.

I currently take at AS Level: English Lit., Psychology, Business Studies, and History. I am 1 exam out of 8 down currently but I am thinking about after the AS exams are over as I need to drop 1 of the 4 subjects I have chosen.

I am definitely certain I will either be dropping Psychology (Which I planned on dropping since Y11 when I chose the subjects) or English Literature. Although I intended on dropping Psychology, English Lit. has been very difficult for me for multiple reasons. I enjoy and find the other subjects more interesting than English Lit. but I chose it for the reason that I felt that it would be an appropriate subject for the career path I am choosing: Law.

As of now I really feel like if I were to get rid of English Lit. it would relieve a lot of pressure that I am feeling. I feel that the subject takes up 60% of my workload and I'm not even getting any good grades from it, I feel like I've been consistently producing mediocre work.

I guess the question that comes out of this post is would dropping which subject should I drop? But I feel like this is just a chance for me to vent more than anything at my dilemma :P
Thanks to anyone who took time to read this post! :smile:

If you are finding english lit the hardest and the one that you get the lowest grade in, then i think you should drop it.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply :smile:, I guess I should wait on the results, it's just the pressure the teachers put us through in that subject is ridiculous, almost all 4 students in the class are planning on dropping it or won't be on next year. Which makes me wonder what will happen to the subject or if they will let us drop it at all.
Drop English lit. It doesn't sound like you're enjoying it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends what universities you're looking at for Law. If you're looking at the top ones, the keep Lit and drop either Business or Psychology.
Reply 5
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Depends what universities you're looking at for Law. If you're looking at the top ones, the keep Lit and drop either Business or Psychology.

The problem is I am aiming for the top ones :/ I just feel that Psychology isn't as good as English Lit. in terms of reputation as an A level, so either I keep my sanity or spend another year in a topic that I almost hate :P Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest