The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
Any predictions then?

I think divisibility will (unfortunately) come up, the other induction proofs are quite a bit easier. I think edexcel might throw in an r=0 series but that's been covered so many times in this thread it's simple now. Also I think we'll get a harder than usual /obscure complex numbers question and probably a parabola question with a lot of letters and algebra.
If I carried on that Iast Iine with:
Unparseable latex formula:

k^2 -2k + 3 -(\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1 + k^2 + 2k + 1

= 2k^2 +4 - (\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1

= 2(k+1)^2 - 4(k+1) + 6 -(\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1

WouId I get aII the marks for that inductive step?

b9863653fd5e86c277d16dc4dc424fdc.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yunique
If I carried on that Iast Iine with:

k^2 -2k + 3 -(\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1 + k^2 + 2k + 1

= 2k^2 +4 - (\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1

= 2(k+1)^2 - 4(k+1) + 6 -(\frac{1}{2})^k^+^1

WouId I get aII the marks for that inductive step?

b9863653fd5e86c277d16dc4dc424fdc.png

Yes.
Original post by yesyesyesno
I think edexcel might throw in an r=0 series but that's been covered so many times in this thread it's simple now.

Oh god, I've answered the same question like 7/8 times on this thread. :lol:
For divisibility tests, is the conclusion different from true for n=k, k+1,n =1, so all n. Do you have to state since f(k) divisible by n, so f(k+1) is divisible by n etc.
If we were to find a point on a parabola that is equidistant from a point on the directrix and the focus, would the line joining the points always be perpendicular to the directrix?
Reply 586
Original post by Zacken
Oh god, I've answered the same question like 7/8 times on this thread. :lol:

Ahh want to make it 8/9 Pleeeease! Just incase :smile: I remember seeing this in a past paper last question just cant find it anymore! :O Didn't understand it fully at the time

If I had to predict something coming up I think a proof by induction of Un+2=... type of question may come up!
Why do some mark schemes say 'all n and nEZ+'. Surely it's just the latter? (induction)
Original post by SeanFM
:dontknow: it'd be a bit nasty in that the sum of n terms would be going from r=0 to r=n-1. I wouldn't put it past them but it seems needlessly complicated.

In this case you would prove n = 0 (instead of n = 1) right?
Original post by Nikhilm
Why do some mark schemes say 'all n and nEZ+'. Surely it's just the latter? (induction)

How you state it using set theory is n,nZ+ \forall n, n \in \mathbb{Z}^+ .

This reads as "for all n where n is an element of Z+ \mathbb{Z}^+ ".
Mathematical induction Q:

say if you have a summation formula, 1 to n, for (2n + r^2 + 4r). I.e. the n is within the equation. It would be impossible to prove an equality by mathematical induction right? Because the actual equation would change when you have k or k+1?

@Zacken
So, matrix multiplication is not commutative, but for the induction questions it is, because (where A\mathbf A is a matrix)

\mathbf{A}^k^+^1 = \mathbf{A}^k\cdot \mathbf{A}^1

and

\mathbf{A}^k^+^1 = \mathbf{A}^1\cdot \mathbf{A}^k

due to index laws, so does it matter what way around we multiply it in the in inductive proof?
Reply 592
Anyone know any good tips on how to work out the transformations of a matrix?
Original post by Eshanth
Anyone know any good tips on how to work out the transformations of a matrix?

for rotations find the inverse of it using your calculator and the formula in the booklet
Not sure if this has been brought up before but I noticed there was one proof by induction question in the textbook that had a factorial in it and I was wondering the best way to go about these problems if it were to come up in the exam tomorrow.
Original post by Don John
The determinant of the product of two square and equal dimension matrices is equal to the product of both matrix's determinants. Also, the determinant of the inverse of a matrix is equal to the inverse of the determinant of the original matrix.

So if the determinant of the inverse is a third, what does that tell you about det(A)\det(\mathbf{A})? Then can you find det(B)\det(\mathbf{B}) after that?

Great, got it now, thanks so much :smile:
Original post by NotNotBatman
So, matrix multiplication is not commutative, but for the induction questions it is, because (where A\mathbf A is a matrix)

\mathbf{A}^k^+^1 = \mathbf{A}^k\cdot \mathbf{A}^1

and

\mathbf{A}^k^+^1 = \mathbf{A}^1\cdot \mathbf{A}^k

due to index laws, so does it matter what way around we multiply it in the in inductive proof?

No it doesn't matter.
Although matrix multiplication isn't commutative, it is associative. So, (AA)A\mathbf{(AA)A} is the same as A(AA)\mathbf{A(AA)} ... therefore if you extend it further you will see thatAkA1\mathbf{A}^k\cdot \mathbf{A}^1 is the same as A1Ak\mathbf{A}^1\cdot \mathbf{A}^k.
Original post by LukeB98
Not sure if this has been brought up before but I noticed there was one proof by induction question in the textbook that had a factorial in it and I was wondering the best way to go about these problems if it were to come up in the exam tomorrow.

treat it as a normal induction question and try to collect like terms
Original post by rashid.mubasher
No it doesn't matter.
Although matrix multiplication isn't commutative, it is associative. So, (AA)A\mathbf{(AA)A} is the same as A(AA)\mathbf{A(AA)} ... therefore if you extend it further you will see thatAkA1\mathbf{A}^k\cdot \mathbf{A}^1 is the same as A1Ak\mathbf{A}^1\cdot \mathbf{A}^k.

I see, thanks for the reply.
Just did the Jan 15 IAL paper - probably one of the worst things ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending