The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelegend99
Oh ok, have you got it now? I might give that one a try.

Got it in the end! Cheers
Original post by iMacJack
Like this Zacken/Aaran??
Apologies for the mess but I rushed it because you know I'm trying to get it resolved quickly :P
@Zacken @kingaaran
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463679237.941819.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I got :biggrin:
Like this Zacken/Aaran??
Apologies for the mess but I rushed it because you know I'm trying to get it resolved quickly :P
@Zacken @kingaaran
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463679237.941819.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken
Can someone please check my working her:

2x2x7 = 4x7 = 28

Rep me if im right

Thanks!!!! :biggrin::colone:

Bit worried about FP1

It's fine but no rep.
Really sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone help explain this? I've looked at the mark scheme but can't see where they're getting the answer from, and can't find any youtube tutorials either :frown: Thanks so much if someone can help!
Original post by kingaaran
That's what I got :biggrin:

Awesome - cheers guys! @kingaaran @Zacken
Original post by Strom
Really sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone help explain this? I've looked at the mark scheme but can't see where they're getting the answer from, and can't find any youtube tutorials either :frown: Thanks so much if someone can help!

If the argument of a complex number is π2-\frac{\pi}{2} then it must mean that it lies on the imaginary axis (specifically the negative part of the axis). i.e: it has a real part equal to 0.

Find the real part of ww in terms of λ\lambda and set it equal to 0 and solve.

Awesome - cheers guys! @kingaaran @Zacken

No problem.
Original post by Strom

I had the exact same problem - no idea how to do it.

I though about using the inverse of tan but no good?
Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken
I had the exact same problem - no idea how to do it.

I though about using the inverse of tan but no good?

See above.
Original post by Strom

I like to draw a sketch of the argument. If you try to imagine (or sketch) it, you will notice that if the arg is -pi/2, the complex number lies on the Im axis, in other words, the real part must equal 0.

Now Re(4-5i+3(lamda-3i)) = 4+3lamda.

Hence, since we know the Re = 0 --> 4=-3lamda --> lama = -4/3 :smile:
Original post by Windowswind123
If you work from the unit vectors.
The i vector if you rotate it 135 degrees for example anticlockwise will end up going around until it reaches the (+x, -y) quadrant. The x coordinate of that will be -cos45 and the y coordinate sin45.

The j vector will rotate until it reaches the (-x, -y) quadrant. The x coordinate will be -cos45 and the y coordinate will be -sin45.

So (1,0) will change to (-sin45, cos45) and (0,1) will change to (-sin45, -cos45).
Alternatively you can use the formula sheet. :biggrin:

wait where does the sin and cos come from? I dont understand how you know what to use?
Any last hard papers/questions you think we should do to be ready?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
See above.

THANK YOU! That seems so obvious now loool
for proof by induction, under what circumstances do we have to prove that the formula is true for both n=1 and n=2 and not just 1?
Got it in the end! Cheers

It's alright, I don't even think I helped you out in the end :biggrin:
Original post by thesmallman
for proof by induction, under what circumstances do we have to prove that the formula is true for both n=1 and n=2 and not just 1?

When it's a recurrence formula i.e: un+2=aun+1+bunu_{n+2} = au_{n+1} + bu_{n} involving three different terms.

So un+1=aunu_{n+1} = au_{n} is 2 term only, so only prove for n=1.

un+1=aun+bun1u_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n-1} is three terms, so prove for n=1 and n=2.

un+1=aun+bunu_{n+1} = au_{n} + bu_{n} is still two terms only. (it only involves u_{n+1} and u_{n}) so only for n=1.

Original post by Strom
THANK YOU! That seems so obvious now loool

Welcome.
I just did the January 2016 IAL paper and cant find the mark scheme? Anyone have it?
How do I work out the area of a quadrilateral given 4 co ordinates?

det(An)=det(A)n\text{det}(A^n) = \text{det}(A)^n, determinant gives area scale factor.
Original post by Zacken
det(An)=det(A)n\text{det}(A^n) = \text{det}(A)^n, determinant gives area scale factor.

So it would be Area * (Det A)^4

?

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending