The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erodedsoul
I've been told it's 45 mins for section A and then 45 mins for section B and they are worth the same amount of marks. Am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right don't worry :smile:
Anyone help me what would you write about an essay on Mrs birling???

Posted from TSR Mobile
yo marigler i know ur gna see this g
Original post by s_ovo
hi there anyone wanna help me with how to structure the essay preferable how to do one for kindertransport or of mice and men

For OMAM, I recommend doing part a and part b separately as it is easier and less confusing
Part A - intro, 3-4 paragraphs and conclusion
Part B - intro, 3-4 paragraphs and conclusion

Choose quotes from the beginning, middle and end from the extract as this shows you've understood the whole extract. Similarly, for part B, use quotes from the beginning, middle and end as it, again, shows the examiner that you know the novel and understand it.
Original post by ems.becca
I don't think Rebecca nurse will come up because she was in the 2014 exam

I'm looking at past papers and you're completely right, I have a gut feeling it'll either be on the Putnams or the judges
Lord I've got 3 hours to memorise everything now. :bawling:
Original post by MeganMcAlister
Abigail came up in 2011 I think, I'm praying that Danforth or any of the judges don't come up :frown:

Shoot, and I've been revising Abigail for the past four days :colonhash:
I don't know who half of the other characters are; if someone like Hathorne comes up I'm gone :u:
Omg yes please!! Thank you so much xx

Haha your'e welcome, I feel like this is the best way for me to revise so I don't mind :smile: (I have a tendency to ramble so I'm sorry in advance lol)

1) "I am one of nine sons; the Putnam seed have peopled this province. And yet I have but one child left of eight" I think this is perhaps the most useful quote in analysing (some of) the reasons for the Putnam's frequent accusations of others during the witch trials and is very cleverly used by Miller to explore the idea that perhaps the Devil's work is not supernatural, but instead motivated by greedy and self centred 'Christians' in Salem. The quote itself suggests that due to the Putnam's status and societal position, they expect everything to follow suit, and because it hasn't, the only thing they can think to do is blame others (namely Rebecca Nurse) as they will not accept responsibility themselves.

2) "It was Putnam who signed the first complaint against Rebecca" [this quote is from the writer's notes which you are allowed to analyse!- obviously theres not much close lang analysis but...] It's hugely significant that the Putnam's feel like they have the authority to challenge Rebecca when her almost Godly status is considered. It suggests that the hysteria gave people more confidence to express what they had previously hidden and also completely messed up the social hierachy- Rebecca goes from being admired to resented and Abigail and the girls use religion as a weapon of manipulation and go right to the top of society to the point where "the voice of Heaven is speaking through" them and therefore they are completely respected as no one will dare to criticise the court in fear of being associated with the Devil.

Hope this helps! I wrote some more stuff about Puritanism and Reputation earlier on in the thread (page 27 ish) if you are interested :smile:

good luck !! xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
You're right don't worry :smile:

I'm so lost with section B.... Aren't both parts of Section B like full on essays!? That's like writing my Crucible essay from Section A but x2, and in the same amount of time as well. :s-smilie:
I do To Kill a Mockingbird aswell. Any predictions on what the questions are going to be on for the exam tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Purple hibiscus and dna predictions anyone,
Original post by Anygy
Shoot, and I've been revising Abigail for the past four days :colonhash:
I don't know who half of the other characters are; if someone like Hathorne comes up I'm gone :u:

It would literally be a gift from God if Abigail came up but I can't see it happening :frown: Definitely revise the Putnams though because I don't think anythings been asked on them before (well, recently anyway)
I'm going to have a 10/10 strength espresso :biggrin:
Guys I am doing of mice and men and an inspector call. I know this is really stupid as the test is tomorrow but can someone please help me on how to structure my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've written these two quick paragraphs (on To Kill a Mockingbird) with the question 'a. How are the attitudes of the black community shown in relation to the white community in this extract?'. Could someone give me feedback? Thank you!

In this extract, we can see Scout’s naivety coming through as she doesn’t understand the ‘tone’ in which Calpurnia uses when she is with the black community, claiming ‘in tones I had never heard her use’. From this we can understand that racism isn’t something that is naturally within children and when looking at the debate between natures versus nurture, it is easily understood that the racism within the society during the 1930s was heavily influenced by parenting. As Atticus is strong as a father figure, we can understand that his egalitarian ways would allow Scout to be more open-minded and not define people based on their race.

Scout focuses on Calpurnia’s new way of speaking in a curious way, and this is because she would not have used that particular type of language when at the Finch’s home. As Cal is so welcomed within the household, she does what she can to fit in, hence why the way she speaks changes. The name ‘Calpurnia’ is a flower that takes two forms; that of a bud and a pod. This represents the double life that she leads and Lee choses to do this to show the readers that people do not have to be restricted to just one group of people. However, it could also suggest to us that the segregation between the two communities is still endemic, as Lula uses the words ‘they’ and ‘us’, which supports the separation of communities.

(For reference, the extract was when they were outside Calpurnia's church and they were faced by Lula, Chapter 12)
Original post by Jeeves CP
What crucible?

The book??
Original post by Tea2345
Haha your'e welcome, I feel like this is the best way for me to revise so I don't mind :smile: (I have a tendency to ramble so I'm sorry in advance lol)

1) "I am one of nine sons; the Putnam seed have peopled this province. And yet I have but one child left of eight" I think this is perhaps the most useful quote in analysing (some of) the reasons for the Putnam's frequent accusations of others during the witch trials and is very cleverly used by Miller to explore the idea that perhaps the Devil's work is not supernatural, but instead motivated by greedy and self centred 'Christians' in Salem. The quote itself suggests that due to the Putnam's status and societal position, they expect everything to follow suit, and because it hasn't, the only thing they can think to do is blame others (namely Rebecca Nurse) as they will not accept responsibility themselves.

2) "It was Putnam who signed the first complaint against Rebecca" [this quote is from the writer's notes which you are allowed to analyse!- obviously theres not much close lang analysis but...] It's hugely significant that the Putnam's feel like they have the authority to challenge Rebecca when her almost Godly status is considered. It suggests that the hysteria gave people more confidence to express what they had previously hidden and also completely messed up the social hierachy- Rebecca goes from being admired to resented and Abigail and the girls use religion as a weapon of manipulation and go right to the top of society to the point where "the voice of Heaven is speaking through" them and therefore they are completely respected as no one will dare to criticise the court in fear of being associated with the Devil.

Hope this helps! I wrote some more stuff about Puritanism and Reputation earlier on in the thread (page 27 ish) if you are interested :smile:

good luck !! xxx

You're amazing, thank you so so much!! Good luck to you too x
Is anyone doing the short stories from the sunlight on the grass anthology??? Any predictions on what could come up would be really appreciated!!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have haha !! just a bit further down xx
Original post by munchjin
I'm studying Of Mice an Men and An Inspector Calls and for poetry I'm doing the relationships cluster.
I heard that it is likely that To His Coy Mistress or In Paris With You or Sister Maude will come up for poetry.

I really need predictions for OMAM and AIC. I'm not confident in all of English lit but the poetry is a little better than the novel and play and I got an A* in my coursework so it shouldn't be too bad.

SIster Maude came up in June 2015, highly unlikely for this year. To His Coy Mistress never came up, so that's why it's predicted - and it's the last or second to last english exam for this specification, new exams for 2017 (not sure if AQA still do november resits, but they probably do - so they may save THCM for that, because I assume they will at least want to test people on it once).

AQA informed everyone to learn the foundation poems last year half way through the year - not at the start (probably because they accidentally put a foundation poem on higher tier - and everyone predicted them (only 3 foundation poems)... and they did - Sister Maude), so that's why In Paris With You is predicted I assume.

You can predict, they may come up, but I'd cover all poems (especially the ones that didn't come up for a while).
But Manhunt also came up in June 2015, and it also came up in June 2013 or around there, so they can repeat.

I watched MrBruff last year and got an A* in poetry, I recommend watching him.

---
Last year for Inspector Calls I predicted: Mr Birling, Inspector, Gerald, Sheila - and Mr Birling came up, so I guess you can predict the others, but revise all of them at least a bit and learn the quotes!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending