The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erosesme
Is anyone doing the short stories from the sunlight on the grass anthology??? Any predictions on what could come up would be really appreciated!!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at previous years the top 3 most likely are
- Polish Teacher's Tie
- 100% Perfect Girl
- Something Old, Something New
That is a very well structured answer. I am also doing To Kill a Mockingbird but i have no idea what im suppose to focus on and learn. Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would pick out specific words, find their word class and find 2 or more interpretation of why the word has bene used and what they could show and why Lee wants the reader to read it in this way. Try to avoid saying 'words; instead, say "the pronouns 'they' and 'us' " :smile:

Original post by georgiaunlit
I've written these two quick paragraphs (on To Kill a Mockingbird) with the question 'a. How are the attitudes of the black community shown in relation to the white community in this extract?'. Could someone give me feedback? Thank you!

In this extract, we can see Scout’s naivety coming through as she doesn’t understand the ‘tone’ in which Calpurnia uses when she is with the black community, claiming ‘in tones I had never heard her use’. From this we can understand that racism isn’t something that is naturally within children and when looking at the debate between natures versus nurture, it is easily understood that the racism within the society during the 1930s was heavily influenced by parenting. As Atticus is strong as a father figure, we can understand that his egalitarian ways would allow Scout to be more open-minded and not define people based on their race.

Scout focuses on Calpurnia’s new way of speaking in a curious way, and this is because she would not have used that particular type of language when at the Finch’s home. As Cal is so welcomed within the household, she does what she can to fit in, hence why the way she speaks changes. The name ‘Calpurnia’ is a flower that takes two forms; that of a bud and a pod. This represents the double life that she leads and Lee choses to do this to show the readers that people do not have to be restricted to just one group of people. However, it could also suggest to us that the segregation between the two communities is still endemic, as Lula uses the words ‘they’ and ‘us’, which supports the separation of communities.

(For reference, the extract was when they were outside Calpurnia's church and they were faced by Lula, Chapter 12)
Original post by georgie0c
I would pick out specific words, find their word class and find 2 or more interpretation of why the word has bene used and what they could show and why Lee wants the reader to read it in this way. Try to avoid saying 'words; instead, say "the pronouns 'they' and 'us' " :smile:

Okay, this is really helpful. Thank you!:smile:
Predictions for aqa Of mice and men and inspector calls tomorrow? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiaunlit
I've written these two quick paragraphs (on To Kill a Mockingbird) with the question 'a. How are the attitudes of the black community shown in relation to the white community in this extract?'. Could someone give me feedback? Thank you!

In this extract, we can see Scout’s naivety coming through as she doesn’t understand the ‘tone’ in which Calpurnia uses when she is with the black community, claiming ‘in tones I had never heard her use’. From this we can understand that racism isn’t something that is naturally within children and when looking at the debate between natures versus nurture, it is easily understood that the racism within the society during the 1930s was heavily influenced by parenting. As Atticus is strong as a father figure, we can understand that his egalitarian ways would allow Scout to be more open-minded and not define people based on their race.

Scout focuses on Calpurnia’s new way of speaking in a curious way, and this is because she would not have used that particular type of language when at the Finch’s home. As Cal is so welcomed within the household, she does what she can to fit in, hence why the way she speaks changes. The name ‘Calpurnia’ is a flower that takes two forms; that of a bud and a pod. This represents the double life that she leads and Lee choses to do this to show the readers that people do not have to be restricted to just one group of people. However, it could also suggest to us that the segregation between the two communities is still endemic, as Lula uses the words ‘they’ and ‘us’, which supports the separation of communities.

(For reference, the extract was when they were outside Calpurnia's church and they were faced by Lula, Chapter 12)

I didn't do this novel, but I probably got 30/30 marks in An Inspector calls last year, June 2015, and I embedded a lot of quotes, used very short quotes and explained them - effect on the reader, and I also got alternative interpretations of the quotes / whatever you're speaking about, so 2 different meanings of the same quotes that can be interpreted by the reader, and I also had a separate paragraph for language analysis like you.

The alternative interpretations were also very important in poetry, in which I got an A*.

I watched some videos of Mr Bruff the day / 2 days before the exam (pretty much all that I revised for English Lit), which helped a lot - so I recommend using him for poetry and Of Mice and Men if you do it to see his A* analysis of characters and the play/novel, and also how to structure an A* answer - can help even if you do a different novel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FlyingBird
Predictions for aqa Of mice and men and inspector calls tomorrow? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the exam last year in June and I predicted Mr Birling, Sheila, Inspector and Gerald for An Inspector Calls - and Mr Birling came up. So I guess you can predict the other 3, but do revise all of them at least a bit and learn the quotes.

Watch Mr Bruff as he really helped me - how to structure an A* answer, and his analysis on characters and the play/novel in general.

I also used very short quotes, embedded a lot of quotes, explained them - effect on the reader, and also I wrote about the alternative interpretations (2 different meanings / interpretations of the same quote). I also had a paragraph analysing the language used.
And also, my analysis was pretty long for each quote, like 10 line paragraphs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 747
Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.
Original post by ThatDoesntTickle
Looking at previous years the top 3 most likely are
- Polish Teacher's Tie
- 100% Perfect Girl
- Something Old, Something New

if something old something new comes up i am literally going to do the other question i hate it that much.
thank you very much
Original post by erosesme
if something old something new comes up i am literally going to do the other question i hate it that much.
thank you very much

Can someone tell me what's the message from 100% perfect girl because I legit don't get it
Hey does anyone know how much you are supposed to write for section A and section B? Everything I've seen says you write as much for section B (parts a and b separately) as you do for section A but I don't understand how that's possible when you only have half the time of section A???? Can someone please clear this up for me... And any essay structures would be appreciated as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 751
Original post by 11DB2006
Guys I am doing of mice and men and an inspector call. I know this is really stupid as the test is tomorrow but can someone please help me on how to structure my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Section A Inspector calls
3 x PEELS
You could do an intro and conclusion

Section B OMAM
a) 3 x PEELS
b) 3 x PEELSC

They stand for:
P - Point
E - Evidence
E - explanation
L - Language
S - structure
C - context
I am hoping for dreams so so much for OMAM, who's with me??
Can i PM my essay to someone for marking? Unit 1 essay on OMAM and AIC...
Does anyone have a part b answer for Mockingbird I can look at? I'm worried about part b, but I'm fine for part a!
Original post by Anygy
I'm so lost with section B.... Aren't both parts of Section B like full on essays!? That's like writing my Crucible essay from Section A but x2, and in the same amount of time as well. :s-smilie:

Yeah but you're given a passage for the first part of Section B so it makes it easier for you! The entire paper is worth 60 marks, Section A being worth 30 as well as Section B, so I imagine the marks for B are split if you have to write 2 essays :smile: (if that makes sense)
Original post by ad4m
Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.

Hi ad4m. Thanks for the paper! For the OMAM extract question, what points would you choose to right about? I am finding it quite hard to come up with a couple of different ideas... :/ Thank you in advance :h:
Original post by Ella_08

Yes!!! My teacher has been practicing it as they think it could be likely to come up.
Original post by bhavik_007
Can i PM my essay to someone for marking? Unit 1 essay on OMAM and AIC...

Pm me of mice and men
Original post by Ella_08

Actually I'm a bit worried about dreams! :/ If a question on dreams did come up, what points would you include? Thank you! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending