The Student Room Group

Live at home during Uni or get private halls?

I live 10 minutes away from my Uni by train (30 mins if I miss my train) and living at home would save so much money but I really don't want to ruin my University experience just to save money + the parents are quite strict. On the other hand, private accommodation is really expensive (£5060) and I won't be able to afford driving lessons.

What do I do?
Original post by Saya k
I live 10 minutes away from my Uni by train (30 mins if I miss my train) and living at home would save so much money but I really don't want to ruin my University experience just to save money + the parents are quite strict. On the other hand, private accommodation is really expensive (£5060) and I won't be able to afford driving lessons.

What do I do?

Would you be getting the maximum loan? It wouldnt be comfortable financially on that sort of rent if you aren't. Why not look into house shares as a comprimise?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Would you be getting the maximum loan? It wouldnt be comfortable financially on that sort of rent if you aren't. Why not look into house shares as a comprimise?

I would! I will be getting £7625 from SAAS
Original post by Saya k

That would leave you at a guess £55-60 a week which should be reasonable to live off assuming you will be able to walk from halls to uni so i would go for it for that bit of independence. It would be pretty difficult to pay for driving lessons in that, but maybe if you find a good deal and dont spend much on drinking or other luxuries you could afford lessons.
Reply 4
That would leave you at a guess £55-60 a week which should be reasonable to live off assuming you will be able to walk from halls to uni so i would go for it for that bit of independence. It would be pretty difficult to pay for driving lessons in that, but maybe if you find a good deal and dont spend much on drinking or other luxuries you could afford lessons.

Hmmm maybe. I could just live at home in 2nd year and do driving lessons then but then idk if I would wanna flatshare in 2nd year so I'm really just gambling everything right now
Original post by Saya k
Hmmm maybe. I could just live at home in 2nd year and do driving lessons then but then idk if I would wanna flatshare in 2nd year so I'm really just gambling everything right now

You could give living out a go for 1st year, see how it goes financially and then make a decision from there, no need to rush :smile:
Reply 6
You could give living out a go for 1st year, see how it goes financially and then make a decision from there, no need to rush :smile:

Aww well thank you for your advice! I think I'll just yolo it and move in private halls
Reply 7

Actually I just did a bit of calculating and I'll actually be able to afford driving lessons if I can get a part time Job! :biggrin:
Original post by Saya k
Actually I just did a bit of calculating and I'll actually be able to afford driving lessons if I can get a part time Job! :biggrin:

That sounds doable :biggrin:
Original post by Saya k

What do I do?

Well, first of all, don't think of it as 'ruining' your university experience just because you are living at home. It's true that by living at home there is a certain part of the university experience you'll miss out of on but it doesn't mean it'll ruin it. You don't get to experience the indepedance as much by living at home but you can still have fun - it's down to what you make it. That isn't a massive distance and you can still make friends on your course and attend Freshers - so don't worry about that - just means you have to look into travel. Private accommodation is expensive, have you looked at halls on campus? Or house shares? There is a lot you can look into. Break down your finances and see what your costs will be per month etc. Also, is driving lessons something you desperately need at this point?
Original post by Saya k

In that case get out go have fun your parents are close enough if you need anything or just want to see them so that's also quite nice. Liveing in halls has several benefits over staying at home.

Socially you'll possibly shock your self with how social you'll be or not some reasons I went out were:
because I had an exam (earlier that day don't party before your exam kids)
because I didn't have an exam (until next year)
because it's the weekend
because it's not the week end
Among many others also socials tend to start at 7pm and end at 2-4am so your parents wouldn't let you go or at least stay until the end if they are as strict as you say.

your time table could be a nightmare no one ever considersthis but this is not school or collage or even work this is a completelydifferent beast all together. Your time table could have excellent days withhour long breaks between lectures which is nice you can get work done etc etc.Or you could get 9-8 or even 9-9 I saw once with only a 1 hour break for lunchnot good would you really want a long journey after that (i know 10 minuets this is from another post I wrote) didn't think so. or whatabout a day where you have a lecture from 9-10 and then another from 6-7 andnothing in between sure you could work in the library but not for more than 4hours effectively and still get the full benefit from the lectures. Where doyou go in the mean time?

it also is nice to have a place to retreat to rather than havering to travel home hope I helped
At the 'end of the day' - what you are going to uni for [i presume], is to earn a degree that will enable you to increase your income and obtain 'professional status' as an engineer, IT person, GP, solicitor, or other such folk. You can 'party till you drop' - but in 5 to 10 years time, you won't be able to remember most of these people's names that you 'hung out with'. I believe this is the case, because i cannot remember them, plus i've asked me mates [whom i was at uni with], and they cannot remember those other people's names either.

I'm an only child, and i never learned to work (successfully) in a boiler factory - which is what all the dorms [or halls] that i have ever been in closely resembled. I cannot study with constant uproar, and i have a tendency to 'goof off' when i should be revising - given the slightest temptation. On my last (successful) pass through undergraduate uni [having flunked out twice before], i rented a room from an old retired couple that were looking to increase their retirement income. They had a single family house in a small town that housed the uni i was attending & i could walk to campus in about 15 minutes. They were very quiet, and i had absolutely no trouble studying any time i wanted to. If i wanted to meet with classmates - i could always use the student union or the library, or even one of the academic buildings - vacant classrooms were always available. I didn't do this much, and i was always careful to be vague when someone would ask me where i was living. I did NOT want random people dropping in on me to BS the night away. I didn't think that my landlords would appreciate that, and neither would i. I was there to get my academic credentials back into 'good standing'. Socializing (i felt) could wait until later. This approach to life worked - i was on the Dean's list [honours] for all 3 quarters that i was in attendance there. Unfortunately, that uni did not offer a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering - which is what i really wanted - so at the end of my successful year there, i transferred to another small uni near my 'rents retirement home, and lived there for 3 years whilst i finished my Bachelor's degree. Their home was a 1/2 hour drive from campus - so again - i didn't have random people dropping in on me at all hours.

This, of course, was in the USA, but i think you might be able to find something similar in the Uk. I would recommend being careful about associating with other students. Many are not really interested in getting an education, and will cheerfully waste their own and your time too. The result will be that they flunk out [which shouldn't really dismay you], but you may also.

Later on, when i got into graduate school - where i completed a Master's degree in electrical engineering - i found out quite a few tricks to make my study time more effective, and my exam performance considerably better. None of that would have been possible - had i not earned the initial Bachelor's degree. Best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending