The Student Room Group

How hard really are A-levels?

Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Your not a road man why you saying wagwan?????
Horrible.
You'll be fine as long as you dont take english lol
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

Just that tiny little detail :biggrin:
1st year is a lot harder than GCSE's and the second year is apparently harder than doing a degree... its pretty bad, but its manageable
Reply 6

It's not one of the TOUGHEST things you will do... its just teachers talking normal BS. However, A Levels are easy if you actually work at them.
For GCSE i got 4 A's and 7 B's with 0 work (not the best nor am i bragging) and then at a level i got BBD with about 50% work ethic.
In my opinion, you can't wing a level's if you are an average student, so no 1 day revision blabla.

A Levels will be easy if from the start of September you act like its April, and revise. Revisee reviseeeee revise.
Make flash cards at the end of lessons blabla whatever is your best method start it ASAP.
Don't be like me looking back in hindsight thinking ahhh i could have done this and thatttt
Even just 1 or 2hours a night from September and you'll be alright
Reply 7
currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY
Reply 8
Original post by Yasdyxo
It's not one of the TOUGHEST things you will do... its just teachers talking normal BS. However, A Levels are easy if you actually work at them.
For GCSE i got 4 A's and 7 B's with 0 work (not the best nor am i bragging) and then at a level i got BBD with about 50% work ethic.
In my opinion, you can't wing a level's if you are an average student, so no 1 day revision blabla.

A Levels will be easy if from the start of September you act like its April, and revise. Revisee reviseeeee revise.
Make flash cards at the end of lessons blabla whatever is your best method start it ASAP.
Don't be like me looking back in hindsight thinking ahhh i could have done this and thatttt

What a levels did you do? And the grade specifically
They're not 'hard'
They require more work and effort.
If you're not willing to put in the work and effort then it's best not to do A Levels.
Revising from the start is best because you cannot catch up last minute.
There's a lot of work load.

Nothing is impossible or hard you just have to work for it.

Best of luck hope everything goes well for you!!
If you haven't started revising for A-level then you're ****ed!
Reply 11
Original post by Rajive
What a levels did you do? And the grade specifically

English Language and Literature - B
Citizenship - B
Spanish- D lol. (got B&C in the speaking exams but written exams kill me)
Original post by AppleB
They're not 'hard'
They require more work and effort.
If you're not willing to put in the work and effort then it's best not to do A Levels.
Revising from the start is best because you cannot catch up last minute.
There's a lot of work load.

Nothing is impossible or hard you just have to work for it.

Best of luck hope everything goes well for you!!

^^ Basically
Original post by Yasdyxo

I was thinking of revising A levels after all my GCSE exams had finished so 18th June. Is that a good idea or bad? Any advice what stuff to learn during the summer to give me a head start because I really want to ace A levels.

Thanks.
Original post by 142701
currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY

Why I picked chemistry. 😁
Reply 15

Its not all just scare-mongering. It is hard but you usually learn to adapt to it. After my first month in chemistry AS I was at a D grade bc of my crappy GCSE attitude but now I'm doing ok
They are a lot of hard work and really stressful, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you'll get good grades :smile:

Just 2 words of advice:
- Don't do 4 subjects (unless you feel that you can definitely cope with them)
- Don't take Geography
Original post by Alevelhelp97
You'll be fine as long as you dont take english lol

oh no...what's it like?
Reply 18
Original post by _Xenon_
I was thinking of revising A levels after all my GCSE exams had finished so 18th June. Is that a good idea or bad? Any advice what stuff to learn during the summer to give me a head start because I really want to ace A levels.

Thanks.

If you really wanted to, then there is no harm in doing so, but still enjoy your summer! Like i said a few hours a day will help a lot.
And even if its not 100% revision, starting to get your head into the mindset of a levels will help.
Look online for your subject specification.. email your teachers if you don't know the exam boards etc.
And i guess start looking at the beginning of the specification because most teachers start there.
Even start doing past exam papers, look at the mark schemes... see how they differ to GCSEs etc. Just TRY have fun learning lol.

What subjects are you thinking of taking though???
Original post by IKEAPanda37
They are a lot of hard work and really stressful, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you'll get good grades :smile:

Just 2 words of advice:
- Don't do 4 subjects (unless you feel that you can definitely cope with them)
- Don't take Geography

Geography isn't difficult, you just need excellent memory

Quick Reply

Latest