The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by keepyourapology
Did anyone do Poppies and Yellow Palm?! Freaking out..

I personally didn't but a few people from my school did. All the poems link in some respects. You get the marks for explaining why so DW

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the unseen I talk about how the soldier was described as 'boy' this is emotive language as it evokes empathy from the reader at the notion of children getting involved in war.

For the last stanza I talk about how the words 'talons' and 'no claws' shows that god did not create people as evil beings but rather it is the influence of society which molded their ideology of murder. I talked so much **** in the exam but I think I got an A in poetry
Guys if I got a Band 5 in my controlled assessment, grade b for part 1 of literature and grade A for poetry what do you think I'll get overall? I really want an overall A
Did anyone do Character Voice? I compared Medusa with Les Grands Seigneur
For the unseen I spent ages trying to work out what to write but eventually got there in the end 😂 I put something like: assonance of 'steel' and 'keen' to describe the weapons, sounds almost like the weapons are malicious and scheming. Contrasted to innocence of boy. Juxtaposition of colours ('blood' = red and 'Blue') - weapons are cold, not like boy who is full of life and energy (I had no idea what I was saying 😂). Personification of weapons - almost like they can hurt the boy and hold power over him. Treat the boy like one of their 'prey' and that they can feast on him or whatever (can't remember quote lol) - ironic, usually only the person being wounded by a weapon is damaged, but this portrays that by firing a gun you will be damaged too, not physically but mentally. Last quatrain has a different tone to the others before it - the boy will not be pictured as evil or as a devil with 'horns' emerging from his head (biblical imagery). This conveys the message that if you kill one of the enemy in a war, you are praised for it, rather than being punished. Something like that. I have no idea if it is right tho and you can probably make loads of different interpretations :smile:
Original post by ellamoon_22
Going to just do one last bit of revision on brothers just in case that comes up

I guess it's a good thing you revised Brothers then! Did you do that one or THCM?
Original post by Char4ncubex
Its alright as long as you talked about structure form and language you'll do fine! I liked the unseen question but I only did it in the last 17 mins - I am aiming for 14/5

hey, do you know if it's necessary to speak about all three (structure form and language) to get the top marks?? I don't think I talked about form in mine:/
Original post by grace143
hey, do you know if it's necessary to speak about all three (structure form and language) to get the top marks?? I don't think I talked about form in mine:/

You dont need to it says structure or ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moppp
Did anyone else compare Poppies with Bayonet Charge cos I did...

I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legend.786
You dont need to it says structure or ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mind didn't, I think it said "the ways", it didn't specify structure or language or anything
Original post by keepyourapology
Did anyone do Poppies and Yellow Palm?! Freaking out..

You could have done anything really

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Poppies and Belfast Confetti :smile: basically for the unseen I did hard alliteration, words to do with animals like claws/talons to suggest the soldier would be desensitised/dehumanised to battle, simile, and a regimented military-like structure because soldiers would be brainwashed by the weapons and not break the mould or think about the consequences, is this ok?
On the unseen I said antlers represented devil horns is that okay or stupid?
Original post by grace143
I guess it's a good thing you revised Brothers then! Did you do that one or THCM?

THCM
How was your exam? I did Unit 4 so wondering what Unit 2 would have been like lmao
For the unseen I went on about how the title is ambiguous and also contrasts a little boy with the use of weapons.😂 these exams are jokes, but I think I did better in this one than Lit 1....I'm better at deep analysis, so I cannot write enough within the time limit which is extremely annoying..............
Was it good to compare THCM with Sonnet 43vvv
Original post by MeganMcAlister
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Do you know anyone who did The Right Word and Charge of the Light Brigade? Asking for a friend

My friend did!!
Original post by realsmilee

I said that it was as if he was a demon due to his mockery of the apple (garden of eden). Your point seems passable x3 the only thing I thought of for antlers was a deer's courtship thing where they wrestle other males or something
Original post by realsmilee

No, I used that as a reference to satan as well, I said that killing was not seen as evil but rather fulfilling Gods work, encouraging the young boy to fight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending