The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hsthomas1
They said they would tell us by the end of next week, so try to put it out of your mind for now!

Oh thanks that's really helpful. I forgot to ask them!
[QUOTE=pupilpleaser;65244741]Oh thanks that's really helpful. I forgot to ask them!

No problem :smile: waiting is agonising but it's bank holiday now so I don't think we will hear from anywhere in crime until at least the middle of next week! But this is just me guessing!
Original post by legallyblonde16
Anyone who has previously had a first round with No5 Chambers willing to share their experience? Any helpful tips? Thank you!

I have just glanced at my notes for last year.

First round at No 5 last year conducted by a panel of 3. They interview about 80 ppl at first round, so they run about 4-5 panels simultaneously. It means that there could be up to 10 other candidates sitting around in the lobby. Don't let this put you off.

The panel started out asking me a few CV-based question: a few questions about work experience and whether I had applied for pupillage in previous years. Then I was asked some questions about my personality: my biggest failure; whether I consider myself to be a competitive person, and a question about extra curriculars. I was also asked where I see myself in 10 years.

Finally there was a legal question: should there be a time limit for brining historic sex abuse cases? This was followed up with a question about why there should be a difference between civil and criminal law re: limitation periods. I was also asked if I had any questions for the panel.

Separately: re: questions about doughty street, bear in mind that they interview very few at first round (possibly only 12-20). if someone has already received an invite, it is conceivable that all interview invites have already gone out. However, in the last few years what they have done is "shortlist" a group of candidates and then a few days later send out invites to some of those shortlisted, and reject the others. I don't believe that they do things in "batches" so to speak.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any info for Serjeants?

First round invite for next week.

Thanks
I've heard nothing from 2HC, 9-12 Bell Yard or Red Lion either. PG says "Applied" still.
Original post by geh89n263
I've heard nothing from 2HC, 9-12 Bell Yard or Red Lion either. PG says "Applied" still.

Ditto, given that a number of people have had their 2HC status changed to 'shortlisted', I'm assuming my application to 2HC has been unsuccessful. Otherwise, nobody has mentioned any updates from 9-12 Yard or Red Lion so I wouldn't worry about it. People are usually pretty quick on this thread to let you know when interviews/rejections are out, particularly with the bigger sets, unless you see anything to tell you otherwise 'applied' generally means they haven't sent out any interviews/rejections yet.
So far I have heard people get interviews from 2KBW, Pump Court Chambers and Doughty Street all of which remain at 'applied' on my Gateway. I am presuming I have been unsuccessful but I do wish they would change the status so we could have some sort of confirmation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LegalLab
So far I have heard people get interviews from 2KBW, Pump Court Chambers and Doughty Street all of which remain at 'applied' on my Gateway. I am presuming I have been unsuccessful but I do wish they would change the status so we could have some sort of confirmation

Posted from TSR Mobile

re doughty - have you heard of anyone besides the one person in this thread? i can't quite give up hope yet...
Original post by applemore
re doughty - have you heard of anyone besides the one person in this thread? i can't quite give up hope yet...

Nobody apart from the one person on here no. I know on their website it says they interview between 20 - 30 first round so I half expected to hear about more people getting interviews than just the one (that's the hopeful part of me) but they also wouldn't be the first chambers to leave the status as 'applied' despite being unsuccessful (2KBW). A very small part of me is hoping Pump Court are doing their responses in batches although I fear that has also been a wash out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Judging by last year's thread, Doughty sent out invites in mid June and several people on TSR received invites. I highly doubt all (or any) invites have gone out already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone hear back from temple garden or 5 essex court?
Does anybody know what the 5KBW (crime) pupillage award is? I know it's in the £12,000-19,000 bracket but was wondering if anyone knew exactly?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by ChristopherDean
Anyone hear back from temple garden or 5 essex court?

Neither sadly but 5 Essex did say in their acknowledgement email that it would be by 13th June so might be a little while yet I think.

Anyone heard from Outer Temple or Matrix?
Original post by pupilpleaser
Neither sadly but 5 Essex did say in their acknowledgement email that it would be by 13th June so might be a little while yet I think.

Anyone heard from Outer Temple or Matrix?

Haven't heard from Temple Gardens, Matrix or 5 Essex Court!
Reply 1354
Any tips for cover letters?
I feel this will be a big week... Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone heard details of interviews for the Justice First Fellowship (St John's)? I was told I was shortlisted for interview last Tuesday but haven't heard anything since
Original post by hsthomas1
Does anybody know what the 5KBW (crime) pupillage award is? I know it's in the £12,000-19,000 bracket but was wondering if anyone knew exactly?

Thanks! :smile:

£12k award plus earnings in second 6 - i.e. around the £14k-£15k region in total, as they keep you very busy.
Littleton interviews out..
Original post by db00117
£12k award plus earnings in second 6 - i.e. around the £14k-£15k region in total, as they keep you very busy.

Thanks for replying! That's great :smile: do you mind me asking how you know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending