The Student Room Group

Career routes post-GDL

hi guys,

i couldn't find anything on the forum about this so started a new thread; if there is one already going please let me know.
Basically i don't have a TC lined up and was planning on the LPC this coming Sept but wonder whether that's wise?
our careers service is a little confused and i haven't really managed to get the advice i wanted whenever i've been to see them so was hoping you guys might be able to give me your views.

once i finish this year would i be able to get a legal assistant job just with my GDL? what alternatives are there to the LPC? i will obviously do it at some point but just think doing it right now might be foolish?
So basically, what are my options post-GDL?
You can try and get a paralegela job, but they tend to prefer people who have done the LPC. No harm in contacting the agencies and asking.
Paying for the LPC yourself is a gamble.

Imo you should try and get any appropriate job to give you experience, but also save money. You cna also apply for TCs as well, then get them to pay.
I would also add, think where you want your TC. If it's the sort of law firm that will pay for your LPC, then great. you can press ahead with the job thing. If it ain't, then you will have to pay for it yourself anyway so why not get it now. There are many TC roles you can get but you will need the LPC First. And you need to have it to be considered.

Also factor in that it's very easy to lose your way once on the paralegal route. You have to keep driving towards your TC. If you go off the boil you may just miss the boat.

Well ok, the boat is always there but you will need momentum to get on it!

Wait until they decide what they are doing with the LPC first too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=happyinthehaze;65293201]I would also add, think where you want your TC. If it's the sort of law firm that will pay for your LPC, then great. you can press ahead with the job thing. If it ain't, then you will have to pay for it yourself anyway so why not get it now. There are many TC roles you can get but you will need the LPC First. And you need to have it to be considered.

Also factor in that it's very easy to lose your way once on the paralegal route. You have to keep driving towards your TC. If you go off the boil you may just miss the boat.

Well ok, the boat is always there but you will need momentum to get on it!

Wait until they decide what they are doing with the LPC first too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey
Sorry i should have said, my interests are in public law for eg actions against the police, jr, appeals etc.. Really am very confused what to do as currently i don't have any legal experience apart from the GDL. I don't know how to go about securing some either as I think its usually people who already have some experience that get given more?
Original post by ChristopherWood
Hey
Sorry i should have said, my interests are in public law for eg actions against the police, jr, appeals etc.. Really am very confused what to do as currently i don't have any legal experience apart from the GDL. I don't know how to go about securing some either as I think its usually people who already have some experience that get given more?

Oh come on you are well educated now, so you need to start using your brain and some initiative. You get experience by identifying and then asking people who might be able to provide it to you. Everyone starts somewhere. If you wnat actions against the police or public law, then identify who does it irl and then contact them. It could be solicitors, government or charities. be aware it might be interesting, but for criminal work you are less likely to get your LPC paid for you. Unless you are absolutely certain you know what you want, then as far as TVcs go then I would try and get a spread of experience including commercial, so you dont cut off options.
[QUOTE=999tigger;65293831]Oh come on you are well educated now, so you need to start using your brain and some initiative. You get experience by identifying and then asking people who might be able to provide it to you. Everyone starts somewhere. If you wnat actions against the police or public law, then identify who does it irl and then contact them. It could be solicitors, government or charities. be aware it might be interesting, but for criminal work you are less likely to get your LPC paid for you. Unless you are absolutely certain you know what you want, then as far as TVcs go then I would try and get a spread of experience including commercial, so you dont cut off options.

Would you recommend emailing or calling them up? I don't know how is best to get the ball rolling. Seems there is always someone with more experience/better grades out there
Original post by ChristopherWood
Would you recommend emailing or calling them up? I don't know how is best to get the ball rolling. Seems there is always someone with more experience/better grades out there

You need to change your attitude and sell yourself better. Employers wnat to know that you are the best, not that you believe someone better is just behind you.

You need to research, then decide who you wnat to apply to, will it be somoene off linkedin or will you go through HR. All methods of communication have pros and cons. E-mails are convenient and fast, but also easy to ignore and delete.

I would do a neat handwritten letter in ink as a change and to show them youve made an effort, rather than just cut and pasted. Do the research first and identify all your possible targets. Think a bit outside the box and dont just go for solicitors, but think of other groups that might be involved in the area you are looking at. Being knowledgeable about the area you are telling them you are interested in will help improve your applications, interview and understanding. It will help you stand out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending