The Student Room Group

Does fear of oblivion make you believe in life after death?

As the title says, what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Just the fear will do
Fearing death is pointless, you cant stop it you cant bargain or reason with it. Just let it happen, think about it peace forever
Reply 3
Original post by ODES_PDES
Just the fear will do

Fear of Hell?
I can't speak for everyone but eternal life in heaven sounds both boring and creepy too.
Original post by macsalaama
Fear of Hell?
I can't speak for everyone but eternal life in heaven sounds both boring and creepy too.

Fear of being dead man.
Unknown
“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

(i just had to, couldn't help it)
Reply 6
Original post by bluebookie
“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

Quite appropriate in light of the thread :^_^:
No. Fear shouldn't make you believe in fairy tales. It may be considered normal when you're a child but once you grow older you should learn to accept oblivion.

Fear, alone, shouldn't make you believe in life after death.
Reply 8
I mean oblivion is cool and all that, but can it beat the 95-96 bulls?
I hated that game.
Reply 10
Original post by Legendary Quest
No. Fear shouldn't make you believe in fairy tales. It may be considered normal when you're a child but once you grow older you should learn to accept oblivion.

Fear, alone, shouldn't make you believe in life after death.

Maybe it's not just fear of being alone. Knowing you won't see family and friends ever again can be disheartening too.

Original post by Middriver
I hope there's multiple checkpoints after death, so you can go back to see how it could have been different.

Interesting thought.
Maybe it's not just fear of being alone. Knowing you won't see family and friends ever again can be disheartening too.

That won't be much of a problem once you're dead though, will it? :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Legendary Quest
That won't be much of a problem once you're dead though, will it? :tongue:

Well, that's true after you're dead. The dreaded thought will stick around until it's your turn to face oblivion/afterlife (which ever one you prefer)
Original post by bluebookie

I think it's possible that humanity will survive indefinitely, moving into different universes to escape this universe's heat death if need be. There's no way of knowing; we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way it's not much comfort to us here on this forum; I get your point that all of us, individually, will eventually die.
Initially when I first reflected on the existence of God when I was young. After a while you become more concerned with what's true than with what comforts. I guess you get less sensitive to the fear the more you think about it. Also, if atheism was true I'd just follow the rule to 'eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by ModernGoodGuy
Initially when I first reflected on the existence of God when I was young. After a while you become more concerned with what's true than with what comforts. I guess you get less sensitive to the fear the more you think about it. Also, if atheism was true I'd just follow the rule to 'eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think of it that way, but it was more or less how I became less fearful of the unknown.

That final sentence though :top:
Enjoy life and make the most of it (without wasting it away).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't think of it that way, but it was more or less how I became less fearful of the unknown.

That final sentence though :top:
Enjoy life and make the most of it (without wasting it away).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeh it's a combination of two passages of the bible which is strange way to comfort me if I was an atheist :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe in a life after death but my fear of death remains the same unfortunately. :redface: And my fear of death does not encourage me to want to believe in an afterlife either.
I feel like, there must be some spiritual thing going on when you're dead. Like, idk it might even be that you can hear people at your grave or something... and if you're cremated then you're OMG imagine you could hear whales if your ashes were chucked in an ocean.
I reckon there's, well, absolutely nothing.

Your brain dies so you can't think any more, so you can't really care about the fact that you're dead.

Just sayin' :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending