The Student Room Group

University tuition fees increase - has it made anyone rethink higher education

Hi there,
I'm a student journalist at the University of Sheffield. I'm writing a feature on the recent government announcement to give universities the option to increase tuition fees beyond £9000 a year so long as they meet certain criteria.

Has this put you off for going to university, or changed your future plans in some way?
What do you think about the fact that fees have tripled from £3000 to £9000 already, and now might go even further?

Particularly keen to hear from people who have applied for university this year, or are in their first year of a university course.

Thanks,
Euan :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by eazyeac
Hi there,
I'm a student journalist at the University of Sheffield. I'm writing a feature on the recent government announcement to give universities the option to increase tuition fees beyond £9000 a year so long as they meet certain criteria.

Has this put you off for going to university, or changed your future plans in some way?
What do you think about the fact that fees have tripled from £3000 to £9000 already, and now might go even further?

Particularly keen to hear from people who have applied for university this year, or are in their first year of a university course.

Thanks,
Euan :smile:

Not really. I know I'm never going to pay it all off - the amount I repay every month doesn't depend on the amount I borrow in the first place, as is usually the case with loans, so it doesn't really matter. After 30 years it won't be a problem anyway.
Reply 2
Thanks for that! Have sent you a quick follow-up message :smile:
I'm also studying at the Uni of Sheffield so hi there! I know i'm speaking from a slightly different point of view but if I had to pay a higher fee I certainly wouldn't be happy. A higher amount means more interest, which means higher debt and although true that most people do not end up paying off the whole amount, you've still got more to pay off. Say with £9000 fees at the moment, you may end up in £45,000 worth of debt. Well if you're lucky enough to be able to pay it all off, everything is all good. However if the same person had higher fees and a higher debt, they may be able to pay off the £45,000 but then they'll still be in debt due to the higher fees.
The fees are already extortionate and definitely don't need an increase. If I was in the position of applying to uni with fees higher than £9000, I'd probably think about other options.
Nah, I'm not really phased by it at all.
It should make people think whether they need one. Put more thought into what they choose and when the right time to study is.
Too many sheeple who think Uni is the only way.
Although I still attend to apply and go to university anyway (currently a GCSE student), I am annoyed by the increase in fees as although obviously a payment should be required seeing as you get a qualification at the end of it all, I do not believe it should exceed £6,000. University already puts off lots those who perhaps consider themselves working class, and this is reinforced with statistics such as 50% of Oxbridge students from Private School, despite only 8% or something of Children being educated privately. We don't need to be massively in excessive debt even before we begin our careers! What annoys me most is that those who will soon to be accessing higher education (15-17 year olds) can't even vote for the party who makes these decisions!
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for all the responses so far, really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by eazyeac
Thanks a lot for all the responses so far, really appreciate it! :smile:

Please do my questionnaire I need native speakers of english. Thanks in advance, if you'll have mercy on me :biggrin:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Wkx3l7H-7YkoqnUYBf--cCK6R-bEjvo24aMzQLur0WE/viewform
University is a waste of time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending