The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone remember what topics came up on breadth and make any predictions on depth
Reply 961
Does anyone know what percentage you need to get a C this year is ?
Original post by Kiddo19
Does anyone know what percentage you need to get a C this year is ?

Probably no more than 60% probably a bit less or a bit more at most

Just a guide as it depends on UMS scaling
Original post by Ilovepugs
Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong :s-smilie:

Think it asked for Kingdom, can't remember

Only one mark though?
Original post by Jitesh
Probably no more than 60% probably a bit less or a bit more at most

Just a guide as it depends on UMS scaling

I thought a C in biology is around 55%?
Just realised that at no point in the specification does it say that we need to know the blood clotting cascade :facepalm:
Reply 966
What's the chance of the topics coming back again for depth paper that was already in breadth paper??
Original post by plower
What's the chance of the topics coming back again for depth paper that was already in breadth paper??

Its completely random, if they came up in Breadth, there's still a good chance of them coming up in Depth
can someone explain phagocytosis to me please
Reply 969
Original post by brodingoson
Its completely random, if they came up in Breadth, there's still a good chance of them coming up in Depth

Damn it
Reply 970
Original post by carlab2308
can someone explain phagocytosis to me please

The phagocyte detects antigens on the pathogen. It engulfs it forming a phagosome in cytoplasm of phagocyte. Lysosomes containing hydrolytic enzymes fuses with the phagosome and breaks down pathogen. The phagocyte then presents the antigens on its surface for other immune cells to be activated - this acts as an antigen- presenting cell
Original post by plower
The phagocyte detects antigens on the pathogen. It engulfs it forming a phagosome in cytoplasm of phagocyte. Lysosomes containing hydrolytic enzymes fuses with the phagosome and breaks down pathogen. The phagocyte then presents the antigens on its surface for other immune cells to be activated - this acts as an antigen- presenting cell

whats the bit after that with the T and B lymphocytes?
Reply 972
Original post by carlab2308
whats the bit after that with the T and B lymphocytes?

Oh ya , I hate that part. :colonhash:. Basically the phagocyte activates T-cells (called cell mediated response) this cell is covered with receptors on the surface do that it is able to bind with antigens presented by the antigen-presenting cells (APC). Each t-cell has different receptors so that its complementary to the antigen. It then activates the t-cell, called clonal selection and starts the clonal expansion (mitosis), this divides and produces clones which are different types with different functions such as: T killer cell- kills pathogen by attaching to antigen, T helper cell - release substance to activate B-cell, T regulatory cells- suppress immune response from other white blood cells to stop attacking own body cell and lastly T memory cells - to remember the antigen second time round.

This leads to activating B cell (humoral response). It's covered with antibodies and again only attaches to complementary antigens to form antigen-antibody complex so each b-cell is specific. Binding to antigens and substance released by T helper cells activates B cell. This goes through clonal expansion again and makes plasma cells - produces right antibodies for pathogen and also makes memory cells - to produce antibodies quicker in next infection.
Original post by Ilovepugs
Does anyone know whether the answer on the classification table was animalia or eukarya? Panicking thinking I've read the table wrong :s-smilie:

Animalia dude it was a Rhino ?? that's if you are talking about the breadth paper
Original post by Neelthesuperdude
what are the required practicals we need to know
Bullet point answers please.

It's in the spec on the ocr website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by longking
Animalia dude it was a Rhino ?? that's if you are talking about the breadth paper

It's part of the Eukarya Domain that's what the person was worried about.. If it asked for Kingdom or domain

But yeah I agree I think it asked for Kingdom
Original post by Jitesh
It's part of the Eukarya Domain that's what the person was worried about.. If it asked for Kingdom or domain

oh right okay... I thought the person was asking about the kingdom, and btw how are you guys revising tb the lack of past papers is making it impossible
Original post by Jitesh

Thankyou guys!
OMG just realised how much i need to revise, has anyone got any predictions my friend sumayzii told me that she has loads. I hope she tells me soon cos ive done so many depth revision and i basically have no social life.
im 6700% sure protein synthesis and translation is going to come up
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nadia1998
OMG just realised how much i need to revise, has anyone got any predictions my friend sumayzii told me that she has loads. I hope she tells me soon cos ive done so many depth revision and i basically have no social life.

Peak when your 'friend' has no life.... that's not something I didn't already know mate XD

But seriously nadzii, we are supposed to be analysing the thread for predictions not making immature comments.... I'm so disappointed in you.

EDIT: don't ever call me sumayzii in real life. It's retch worthy
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending