The Student Room Group

Gcse ARE OVERATED

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abbigm1
Okay if their not deep then get all C's then try to get into a decent uni in a course that has candidates with A/A*'s
And besides, if someone gets mediocore grades at gcse, A levels are gonna be 100x harder so the grade is likely to get even worse, so then what are unis gonna look at? C's in gcse and predicted c's in a2?
If you want to base your future on luck that is up to you

the education route is not the only path you can take in life, you know that?
Reply 21
Original post by theBranicAc
the education route is not the only path you can take in life, you know that?

It is the primary route, and if you were reading correctly you would see that I clarified that in my other post.
Whys everyone stressing about gcse, jhezz its not the end of the world

Are you in yr 10? Because you can only say they are overrated if you are in the middle of doing your GCSE'S.
I don't think they are overrated, just the buildup is WAY too long. After my first few exams I realised they are not actually that bad!:h:
Original post by sunshine774
Are you in yr 10? Because you can only say they are overrated if you are in the middle of doing your GCSE'S.
I don't think they are overrated, just the buildup is WAY too long. After my first few exams I realised they are not actually that bad!:h:

i am in year 10, and that is a fair point, and i am in the middle of doing some of my exams, ive got 2 mocks and 3 real exams
i am in year 10, and that is a fair point, and i am in the middle of doing some of my exams, ive got 2 mocks and 3 real exams

Which real exams do you have? Also if you are in yr 10 try and do really really well in your coursework. It will really help when you are in yr 11 and you know that 60% or 25% of your course is already at an A* (or an high A.) You can afford to maybe get an A in an exam and still get an A* overall!:smile:

Best of luck and I hope you smash your exams!!!:biggrin:

I can definitely say they're overrated and I did them 6 years ago...in fact, I'd argue that the only time you can really say it is after you take them, not during the exam period. I am also, however, going to say they're not overrated. Their importance is overrated by teachers and students who are taking them, but absolutely they're not overrated by employers or universities who really don't care about them much at all. Note that these two things are just two ways of saying the same thing.

I make no comment on whether their difficulty is overrated though
Which real exams do you have? Also if you are in yr 10 try and do really really well in your coursework. It will really help when you are in yr 11 and you know that 60% or 25% of your course is already at an A* (or an high A.) You can afford to maybe get an A in an exam and still get an A* overall!:smile:

Best of luck and I hope you smash your exams!!!:biggrin:

i have business, science isa's and pe and ive done some of my cousework and ive got a's in them, they just need to be modetaed
i have business, science isa's and pe and ive done some of my cousework and ive got a's in them, they just need to be modetaed

Well done for your a's in your coursework! Just make sure you get 100 UMS or a high A* in your science isa's- especially if you are doing AQA as it is worth 25%.
This means that you can get an A in all 3 units and still get an A* overall!
Best of luck!:biggrin:
Original post by Wahrheit
I can definitely say they're overrated and I did them 6 years ago...in fact, I'd argue that the only time you can really say it is after you take them, not during the exam period. I am also, however, going to say they're not overrated. Their importance is overrated by teachers and students who are taking them, but absolutely they're not overrated by employers or universities who really don't care about them much at all. Note that these two things are just two ways of saying the same thing.

I make no comment on whether their difficulty is overrated though

I think that their difficulty is overrated, like you said teachers out WAY too much emphasis on them, so much that everyone is shocked when the real exams come.
But you are right- they are definitely not as hard as some people may think!
What did you get in your gcse's?
I think that their difficulty is overrated, like you said teachers out WAY too much emphasis on them, so much that everyone is shocked when the real exams come.
But you are right- they are definitely not as hard as some people may think!
What did you get in your gcse's?

I got 7A*s 2As and a B, which I was happy with but I didn't put myself through loads of stress or anything and took it really steady, which I think for GCSEs is the best way to go about it :smile:
Original post by Wahrheit
I got 7A*s 2As and a B, which I was happy with but I didn't put myself through loads of stress or anything and took it really steady, which I think for GCSEs is the best way to go about it :smile:

Wow they are absolutely amazing grades! I would be over the moon with 7A*s!:smile:
Well done for not stressing! Too many people at school are stressing, even though I am not stressed.But I hate being around them because they make me feel so stressed!
Wow they are absolutely amazing grades! I would be over the moon with 7A*s!:smile:
Well done for not stressing! Too many people at school are stressing, even though I am not stressed.But I hate being around them because they make me feel so stressed!

Thanks! :smile:

Yeah it can get so much when it's all anybody talks about! Best thing is to concentrate on work when you're working and relaxing when you're relaxing - for a lot of people it dominates every waking moment for 2 months and that's really not healthy for the mind. I just finished my first year university exams a week or so ago and I went for a really nice day trip with some friends right in the middle, and honestly I think that my grades were better as a result than if I'd have spent that day revising.

Unfortunately it's not going to get better after GCSEs though haha, sorry! If you find people stressing you out over exams then try your best to surround yourself with more positive people for those few weeks or explain to them that it's best to take a more measured approach rather than crazy intense stress!
Original post by ?Hannah
GCSEs are crucial. believe me, you don't want to muck them on :smile: good day to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are they crucial?

Quick Reply

Latest