The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welshpupilmaybe
It's fairly straightforward, a question on why the cps, 2 competency questions and one asking where, if successful, you would like your assesment centre to be. Questions have time limits of either 2 minutes or 90 seconds and you can review your answers and retry as many times as you like. I found it best to write down the question on the first opening, think about an answer and then give the recording a go..then try again...and again..! Just find somewhere quiet, without distractions and a stable connection and it'll be ok

YOU ARE AMAZING! Thank you so much for this info. I got discharged (well, discharged myself) from hospital at 10pm last night, i'm still dazed and entered into panic mode about this video interview as i've had no prep time. I feel a little confident about it now! Thanks!

Can I ask what type of competency Qs you got? I presume something to do with communication?
This post is intentionally left blank.
Anybody with any experience of a Pump Court first round willing to share their experience? Pleeassseee
Original post by Boris88
Anybody with any experience of a Pump Court first round willing to share their experience? Pleeassseee

I interviewed there a few years ago now but when I did it was a quickfire 5 minute interview with generic "give me 5 qualities which make a good barrister" type questions and nothing about my CV. Its tough because its hard to really sell yourself in such a short space of time. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from the following:

Temple Garden
42 Bedford Row
Goldsmiths Chambers
KBW, Leeds
New Park Court Chambers
St Johns Buildings, Manchester
Original post by Barr23
YOU ARE AMAZING! Thank you so much for this info. I got discharged (well, discharged myself) from hospital at 10pm last night, i'm still dazed and entered into panic mode about this video interview as i've had no prep time. I feel a little confident about it now! Thanks!

Can I ask what type of competency Qs you got? I presume something to do with communication?

Blanked it all out afterward! But i think it was a team-working/cooperation one and demonstrate something thats influenced your development as a lawyer, something along those lines...the questions come up in opaque text on the screen as you record yourself
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone heard from 23 Essex? I think someone kindly called them last week and they thought they would be getting back to us by close today....

(As an aside as much as it's a privilege, of course to be part of this community, :-) does anyone ever glance over at some of the crazy things being talked about on the other threads that come up on the right hand side of the screen and think that life could be a lot simpler (and in some cases weirder!).... )
Reply 1526
Original post by pupilpleaser
Anyone heard from 23 Essex? I think someone kindly called them last week and they thought they would be getting back to us by close today....

(As an aside as much as it's a privilege, of course to be part of this community, :-) does anyone ever glance over at some of the crazy things being talked about on the other threads that come up on the right hand side of the screen and think that life could be a lot simpler (and in some cases weirder!).... )

Are you referring to:

'Accused of being a "Boss Ass Bitch" AMA'

and

'At what age should you stop masturbating?'

?
In answer to a couple of queries above, I've heard nothing so far from:

42 Bedford Row
Guildhall
Old Square
39 Essex
Temple Garden
Original post by FamPup
Are you referring to:

'Accused of being a "Boss Ass Bitch" AMA'

and

'At what age should you stop masturbating?'

?

It was the "being intelligent is a pain" that I really sympathised with... oh and "I need a job"..... well don't we all....
Reply 1529
Original post by pupilpleaser
It was the "being intelligent is a pain" that I really sympathised with... oh and "I need a job"..... well don't we all....

I'm really very grateful it wasn't:

'Girls - do you get horny after your period?'

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=932908#primary_content
Original post by HERBYboy
Hi Anyone ever interviewed at an IP set? what can I expect? Any help greatly appreciated.

I've had interviews at 3 IP sets.

Two operated on a single interview/final round format. One of which consisted of a mixture of CV questions, alongside a current / topical awareness type question and even a discussion of legal principles. The second consisted of a case analysis with 20 mins of prep time (I think it was on copyright), with a few CV questions/ IP Bar questions thrown in, also.

The third set had two rounds, where the first consisted solely of CV and personal interest questions and the final round was, again, a case/scenario analysis with prep time.
23 Essex Street rejection via email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone (perhaps who has already studied the BPTC) have advice on how to approach ethics type questions during interviews? Other than reading up on the BSB handbook, I'm not sure how answers should best be structured?
Anyone not heard from 23 Essex Street? I haven't heard a peep.
Original post by Aspiring Barista
I've had interviews at 3 IP sets.

Two operated on a single interview/final round format. One of which consisted of a mixture of CV questions, alongside a current / topical awareness type question and even a discussion of legal principles. The second consisted of a case analysis with 20 mins of prep time (I think it was on copyright), with a few CV questions/ IP Bar questions thrown in, also.

The third set had two rounds, where the first consisted solely of CV and personal interest questions and the final round was, again, a case/scenario analysis with prep time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's helpful. So no advocacy at any of the IP sets! I will get reading on current affairs. BTW what kind of legal principles? a general discussion?
Original post by lulu_dudette
23 Essex Street rejection via email

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear this. Did you ever get a confirmation email btw? I didn't and I havent heard either way yet.
Original post by PupilLAD

I haven't heard either.... perhaps they are individual emails?

Haven't heard either. Although, I accidentally sent them an incorrect version of my application form, so not holding out much hope on that one...
Original post by Not Amused
This post is intentionally left blank.

Apologies for the strange post. I had trouble with my screen moving onto the last page and posting was the only thing that broke the cycle.
Sorry to hear this. Did you ever get a confirmation email btw? I didn't and I havent heard either way yet.

I don't think I did get an email in confirmation. I didn't get a lot of confirmation emails this year. It's is a personalised rejection though so they're probably taking their time. My surname is B so maybe alphabetical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending