The Student Room Group

No Chemistry but 3 of my subjects are classed as "sciences"

Hi

Bit confused here - My postcode is flagged as having a low participation in higher education which is one of the factors that need to be met in order to be considered for a Foundation Year.

I have 5 A*, 4 A and a B at GCSE and my AS subjects are Biology, Physics, Maths, Computer Science. (Comp Sci probably isn't seen as a science by most universities). As my options are mainly science options, can I still apply for Foundation Year courses for Medicine as I do not have chemistry? Specifically UEA and Manchester.

Thanks for your help

Edit: Likely AS Grades will be AAAB this year (AAAA best case)
A2 most likely A*AA (Best case A*A*A)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CrazyFool229
Hi

Bit confused here - My postcode is flagged as having a low participation in higher education which is one of the factors that need to be met in order to be considered for a Foundation Year.

I have 5 A*, 4 A and a B at GCSE and my AS subjects are Biology, Physics, Maths, Computer Science. (Comp Sci probably isn't seen as a science by most universities). As my options are mainly science options, can i still apply for Foundation Year courses as I do not have chemistry? Specifically UEA and Manchester.

Thanks for your help

What subject do you want to do after the foundation year
Original post by madmadmax321
What subject do you want to do after the foundation year

Medicine
Reply 3
Hi

I have 5 A*, 4 A and a B at GCSE and my AS subjects are Biology, Physics, Maths, Computer Science. (Comp Sci probably isn't seen as a science by most universities). As my options are mainly science options, can I still apply for Foundation Year courses for Medicine as I do not have chemistry? Specifically UEA and Manchester.

Thanks for your help

Edit: Likely AS Grades will be AAAB this year (AAAA best case)
A2 most likely A*AA (Best case A*A*A)

Uni of Manchester do access schemes I know a friend that got a normal place with a BBB requirement!
Medicine

It will completey epend on the uni but UEA is fine but manchester is a no (they want One rigorous arts/humanities subject and two science subjects or more humanities subjects)
Original post by NHM
Uni of Manchester do access schemes I know a friend that got a normal place with a BBB requirement!

That sounds good - Will definitely look more into it

It will completey epend on the uni but UEA is fine but manchester is a no (they want One rigorous arts/humanities subject and two science subjects or more humanities subjects)

Do you reckon I could e-mail them, explain my options and see if they will consider? The thing is it is because of my stupid options choices rather than the actual grades.
That sounds good - Will definitely look more into it

Do you reckon I could e-mail them, explain my options and see if they will consider? The thing is it is because of my stupid options choices rather than the actual grades.

I highly doubt it, they state on the website ' If you have an A2 subject combination of Maths, Physics and Biology you will not be considered for the Foundation Year' and even if you take comp sci instead of one of them you still dont meet the entry criteria
I highly doubt it, they state on the website ' If you have an A2 subject combination of Maths, Physics and Biology you will not be considered for the Foundation Year' and even if you take comp sci instead of one of them you still dont meet the entry criteria

Darn it. I guess I should look at some more med schools then - Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending