The Student Room Group

Anyone started writing personal statement?

As part of my procrastination from revising for AS exams, I ended up starting my PS (which is ironic considering i probably won't have a PS to write if I fail my AS exams:colondollar:)

Just curious if anyone else has and how they're finding it. It's so confusing i literally started writing about the wrong subject.
I started trying to do my personal statement on this site's personal statement builder last week, but gave up quite rapidly because I couldn't think of a good reason why I want to do Comp. Science. (I don't think they'd accept 'I'm just good at it' as a valid reason)

I'm gonna try again next week. (haven't got much time or patience atm, as I've got work all weekend. Actually about to head out in half an hour)
Starting a PS is best as something you dip in and out of.

Use the TSR PS builder "make some notes" page and just go in and add extra bullet points as you think of them over the next few weeks.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes

Original post by Jazzyboy
I started trying to do my personal statement on this site's personal statement builder last week, but gave up quite rapidly because I couldn't think of a good reason why I want to do Comp. Science. (I don't think they'd accept 'I'm just good at it' as a valid reason)

Finding something easy and enjoyable is a completely valid reason for wanting to study it further. You just need to find a way to express your enthusiasm and interests well.
Original post by Jazzyboy

I'm gonna try again next week. (haven't got much time or patience atm, as I've got work all weekend. Actually about to head out in half an hour)

lol thats like me. tbh i don't know why i want to study what i do. like i only just chose what i want to do last week (i'd been thinking about it before though). and i know i'm good at it, and i know i find it interesting, but i don't know why. when i see people's PS on studential and stuff i just dk how the words come to their head!
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
lol thats like me. tbh i don't know why i want to study what i do. like i only just chose what i want to do last week (i'd been thinking about it before though). and i know i'm good at it, and i know i find it interesting, but i don't know why. when i see people's PS on studential and stuff i just dk how the words come to their head!

From what I've seen of those PSs, they generally aren't very good - so I wouldn't use those as a guide!
Original post by *Interrobang*
From what I've seen of those PSs, they generally aren't very good - so I wouldn't use those as a guide!

i only look at the people's with high ratings and accepted at the top universities. there are a lot of crappy ones who get rejected from most but its not hard to filter them out.
i only look at the people's with high ratings and accepted at the top universities. there are a lot of crappy ones who get rejected from most but its not hard to filter them out.

Even the ones that got accepted doesn't mean they're good examples of PSs!
Original post by *Interrobang*
Even the ones that got accepted doesn't mean they're good examples of PSs!

well being good enough to get accepted is all i need?
well being good enough to get accepted is all i need?

The point is that they might have got accepted despite a rubbish PS. Look at the guidance in my signature below - it gives you advice on how to write your PS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending