The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Media Studies 8th June 2016 predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dalvin_sey
Yeah it's literally any two you want to answer. So if audience came up twice, I could answer both the questions.

You need to apply different theory for the different audience questions though - dont use the same theory. For example, audience positioning would obviously be Stuart Hall's reception theory, whereas if it was a question focused around audience appeal that would be Uses and Grats etc.
I've got 9 texts;

Film: Skyfall, Tree of Life, and Drive

Games: Call of Duty Black ops 2, Assasins creed 3, and Lara Croft Tomb Raider; Anniversary edition

Advertisements: Dove Evolution/Onslaught, D&G Napoleonic, and Coco Chanel 2007

Our class has had a particularly rough year with the very recent death of our Media teacher, could anyone please explain how I answer the questions on the exam? IE; what texts i use for which.

Anyone got any predicitons on what will actually come up?
its so weird as to how everyone has different texts
my texts are

Film: Skyfall, The Help and Pride
TV: Luther, BBC News at 6 and Bad Education
Games: GTA 5, Sims 4 and Tomb Raider

i have a feeling that representation and genre will come up in section A and regulation will be somewhere in section B
good luck
Original post by Matthewmillnerr
I've got 9 texts;

Film: Skyfall, Tree of Life, and Drive

Games: Call of Duty Black ops 2, Assasins creed 3, and Lara Croft Tomb Raider; Anniversary edition

Advertisements: Dove Evolution/Onslaught, D&G Napoleonic, and Coco Chanel 2007

Our class has had a particularly rough year with the very recent death of our Media teacher, could anyone please explain how I answer the questions on the exam? IE; what texts i use for which.

Anyone got any predicitons on what will actually come up?

My teacher recommended using Film for section A as its easier to use textual analyses. Its worth making a list of genre codes and conventions, Narrative elements and representations, just watching bits of the film will help, you probably could do this before tomorrow.

My others case studies are for Music and TV so cant help you with Games and Advertisements i'm afraid.

good luck, hope i helped!
Section B will defo have a regulation and an audience question

I'm feeling section A will be narrative and genre
Reply 25
In section A you pick one question of two choices,
In section B, you pick two.
Then, you answer according to your industries you have chosen (Mine are TV, Film and Newspaper), and then the case studies that you have picked or been given. (The three main texts within these.)

Section A will only be out of these three;
Representation (Generally, men, age, gender, class, stereotypes, how they're constructed, etc.)
Genre (How typical the text is, conventions, mixing genres..)
Narrative (Structure, importance of characters, how it's constructed..)

Section B will be out of any Industry or Audience question, for example;
Audience appeal
Impact of regulation
Marketing
Purpose of text (entertain/educate?)
Advantages of internet
Distribution
Digital Technology
Global audiences
Audience interaction
High production values and their importance?
Mainstream audiences

These are the main really! As for predictions, you can't really predict, they usually use similar questions but word them differently and it's not impossible for anything to come up. I got a funny feeling that regulation will though. (Been a while, and plus I hate it so it will be my luck)
im doing

text: skyfall, submarine, we need to talk about kevin
audience: most hated family in america, boardwalk empire, x factor
industry: mens health, glamour and NME

but if 2 audience questions come up im not going to answer an industry question ill just apply my different texts to each audience question because i think regulations distribution and marketing is quite hard
I am so not looking forward to this exam. I had to retake the AS one and so hopefully overall my grade won't be too bad. I am doing:

Film:
-Straight Outta Compton
-The Selfish Giant
- Spectre

Advertising:
-John Lewis advert Monty the Penguin
-NSPCC Lip ring (print ad)
-Chanel

Music
-Ed Sheeran
-David Bowie
-Amy Winehouse.

I am still so unsure on music, as my teacher wasn't great but she gave us a really good booklet on Ed Sheeran. I am also not keen on the John Lewis, so I don't know what question to do for adverts, perhaps the audience. And then marketing for film and genre for music.

I had a look at last years questions and they look so good, which makes me worried for this years one, it will probably have really horrible questions like regulation (which I have no clue what to write out).

Good luck everyone!
Reply 28
Original post by boocatdog
I am so not looking forward to this exam. I had to retake the AS one and so hopefully overall my grade won't be too bad. I am doing:

Film:
-Straight Outta Compton
-The Selfish Giant
- Spectre

Advertising:
-John Lewis advert Monty the Penguin
-NSPCC Lip ring (print ad)
-Chanel

Music
-Ed Sheeran
-David Bowie
-Amy Winehouse.

I am still so unsure on music, as my teacher wasn't great but she gave us a really good booklet on Ed Sheeran. I am also not keen on the John Lewis, so I don't know what question to do for adverts, perhaps the audience. And then marketing for film and genre for music.

I had a look at last years questions and they look so good, which makes me worried for this years one, it will probably have really horrible questions like regulation (which I have no clue what to write out).

Good luck everyone!

i noticed you're also doing David Bowie!! thank God im not alone, which texts did you study for him? and what kind of things do you have to write about him (regarding the music industry? we have to do TV for texts and gaming for audience and music is for the industry questions like marketing etc)

my texts are:
TV: this is england 90, cyberbully (the one with maisie williams), community
Music: Rihanna, David Bowie and D'Banj
Gaming: GTA5, Sims4, and Minecraft
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
There will definitely be 2 audience and 2 industry in Section B and we've been advised to chose one audience and one industry rather than 2 of audience for example just so you don't repeat yourself, but I suppose it's personal preference!
My texts:

Film - Skyfall, Fish Tank, Gravity
Advertising - Dove Movement for Self-Esteem 2012, Dolce & Gabbana Napoleonic 2007, Coco Chanel Mademoiselle 2007/2011
Music - Ed Sheeran, Paloma Faith, Pharrell Williams

Very nervous for the exam!
Do we need to know dates for the exam? ie if there was a question on film.. Would I need to know the date it was released etc!?? There is way to much to remember for this exam!
Original post by Elena1998
Do we need to know dates for the exam? ie if there was a question on film.. Would I need to know the date it was released etc!?? There is way to much to remember for this exam!

For films and games I think dates are less important, but for advertisements I think you should know the year, and for magazine issues, the month and year.
Original post by pastamasta
My texts:

Film - Skyfall, Fish Tank, Gravity
Advertising - Dove Movement for Self-Esteem 2012, Dolce & Gabbana Napoleonic 2007, Coco Chanel Mademoiselle 2007/2011
Music - Ed Sheeran, Paloma Faith, Pharrell Williams

Very nervous for the exam!

Surely you can't use fish tank as its older than 5 years?
If you look at the past papers you'll find in section B 2 questions are on audience and 2 on industry always!!
Original post by charlottelucy19
Surely you can't use fish tank as its older than 5 years?

My teacher never mentioned this so I assume it'll be fine.
My teacher never mentioned this so I assume it'll be fine.

Ah. All texts have to be contemporary
Original post by charlottelucy19
Ah. All texts have to be contemporary

According to WJEC's guidance notes, ''At least two of the chosen texts must be contemporary and one must be British.''
For films and games I think dates are less important, but for advertisements I think you should know the year, and for magazine issues, the month and year.

Thankyou! :smile:
Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending