The Student Room Group

Extra time

I'm currently doing my A2 exams and am getting very stressed after my exams as I can NEVER finish an exam.

I've been having this problem since GCSE's, with the exception of GCSE maths which I never had problems with, so I’ve realised it’s just written exams I struggle with. The problem has gotten much worse during A Levels as I do 4 essay subjects. I’ve always moaned to teachers I struggle with timing and whenever I get mock results back they nag me about my time management as I always leave questions out/largely unfinished as I run out of time.

Aside of this, my writing quality is pretty good when it’s not timed conditions, but as soon as I’m in an exam I completely lose sense of vocabulary/structure/quantity etc and can’t write enough in the time. Teachers have always told me it's because I haven't 'revised enough' when I get mock results back. However, this year I've worked so hard going over and redoing my notes almost every day after school all year, and revising since February/March. I know the content SO well for my subjects, I just cannot express my knowledge in timed conditions at all.

I’m not a slow writer (which is why people I know get extra time), I just can't read a question, process it, think of ideas and put pen to paper quick enough, and it’s really ****ed me over in my A2 exams this year.

If I’ve messed up as badly as I think I have and have to resit next year, will I be eligible for extra time if I finally get a teacher to take me seriously?
Original post by bbbbbf
I'm currently doing my A2 exams and am getting very stressed after my exams as I can NEVER finish an exam.

I've been having this problem since GCSE's, with the exception of GCSE maths which I never had problems with, so I’ve realised it’s just written exams I struggle with. The problem has gotten much worse during A Levels as I do 4 essay subjects. I’ve always moaned to teachers I struggle with timing and whenever I get mock results back they nag me about my time management as I always leave questions out/largely unfinished as I run out of time.

Aside of this, my writing quality is pretty good when it’s not timed conditions, but as soon as I’m in an exam I completely lose sense of vocabulary/structure/quantity etc and can’t write enough in the time. Teachers have always told me it's because I haven't 'revised enough' when I get mock results back. However, this year I've worked so hard going over and redoing my notes almost every day after school all year, and revising since February/March. I know the content SO well for my subjects, I just cannot express my knowledge in timed conditions at all.

I’m not a slow writer (which is why people I know get extra time), I just can't read a question, process it, think of ideas and put pen to paper quick enough, and it’s really ****ed me over in my A2 exams this year.

If I’ve messed up as badly as I think I have and have to resit next year, will I be eligible for extra time if I finally get a teacher to take me seriously?

I should think so, yes. I have a friend with a similar(ish) problem in that she can express herself well in class and knows the content, but when it's time to write it down under exam conditions, she struggles. Her history teacher put her in for a kind of test and she is now eligible for extra time.

Quick Reply

Latest