The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PensiveChicken
Anyone know how many studies we should know for the reliability/validity of the DSM?

I have 3 for each :smile: For reliability I have Goldstein, Kirk and Kutchins and Brown et al and then for validity I have Kim-Cohen et al, Hoffman and Lee :smile: but I think I'm just going to focus on Goldstein, Brown, Kim-Cohen and Lee and have them in slightly more detail
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sophia.lega
Can someone explain what falsifiable is for Is Psych a science? I do it in philosophy and seem to have got it confused!

if something is falsifiable this means that it can be questioned, tested and possibly disproved. science aims to falsify not verify. psychologists do not disprove their own theory, they verify it through experiments and case studies etc. so psychology is not falsifiable and not regarded as a science in this view.
Original post by 08graya
I have 3 for each :smile: For reliability I have Goldstein, Kirk and Kutchins and Brown et al and then for validity I have Kim-Cohen et al, Hoffman and Lee :smile: but I think I'm just going to focus on Goldstein, Brown, Kim-Cohen and Lee and have them in slightly more detail

Yeah those are the one's I'm in the process of memorizing at the mo', just wasn't sure if I needed all of them! :smile:
is anyone's key issue and practical on anorexia and have any notes please?
Original post by chickenfoot
is anyone's key issue and practical on anorexia and have any notes please?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465578578.634536.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465578604.080762.jpg

There you go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rileystringer1
Okay. Your opinion is yours à chacun ses goûts, if you think you're getting any more than 6 for describing instead of making comparisons then good 4 u

Nah in my opinion it's not worth learning like 10 research methods with studies

Ok? I know I'm getting more than 4, if it wanted similarities and differences it would have asked. I've done every psychology 3 past paper and not once have I had to compare both explanations such as 'they both ignore biological factors' (even though I wrote in the exam that the behaviour may be due to genetics anyway.) I'm expecting 10 or 11, irrespective of what you say. My teacher said its fine anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it said compare with at least one other explanation
when they say compare they mean similarities and differences (which would have helped if they said that, they do sometimes)

if you wrote it out like how you said youre only making one comparison
other comparisons are (slt and sfp): both from social approach, both ignore bio factors, both have supporting evidence e.g, etc then you could bring in Eyncks personality theory compare it with slt
the comparing is how you pick up A02

i mean i hope you're right, then i'd be getting more than 5/6 marks but i think i am.

It would have said if it wanted similarities and differences, all it wanted was two different explanations. Everyone in my college of 40 students has done the same as me, it'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah those are the one's I'm in the process of memorizing at the mo', just wasn't sure if I needed all of them! :smile:

ah okay, yeah I'd probably say make sure you have 4 that you could describe for 2 marks each? :smile:
The specification requires us to know how to describe and evaluate two studies in terms of ethical issues; if you use two studies from the same approach is that okay? Or should you be broad and go for two different ones?
Does anyone have any notes on dream analysis?
Original post by DarceyKuypers

thank you! do you have a key issue written? i dunno what to include in it
what grade/mark do you think you got overall?

Hopefully ~50, I reckon I got 6/12 in crim 12 marker and definity lost at least 4 marks between the field questions. I'd say I got close to full marks on child

I'm fairly confident I won't get an A* overall now unless I do great (~70 in Unit 4), if I get a B that's fine as long as French & Human Biology are As

Wbu?

Anyone know how many studies we should know for the reliability/validity of the DSM?

I'd say 3 each and maybe 1 or 2 for cultural but you can say general things for cultural
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
The specification requires us to know how to describe and evaluate two studies in terms of ethical issues; if you use two studies from the same approach is that okay? Or should you be broad and go for two different ones?

That's fine!! As long as its not clinical
Original post by EmilyPlatypus

mine are both from social psych so I don't think it matters :smile: I'm using Hofling et al and Milgram but I suppose you could also have Rosenhan or Genie? :smile:
Original post by 08graya
mine are both from social psych so I don't think it matters :smile: I'm using Hofling et al and Milgram but I suppose you could also have Rosenhan or Genie? :smile:

I'm using Hofling and Milgram too! Shouldn't be a problem, the Edexcel book suggests Milgram and Meeus and Raaijmaker which is social too so :smile:
Original post by 08graya

I wouldn't suggest Rosenhan because they could state "not from Clinical"
Im preparing a checklist for unit 4 :smile: If anyone needs it just tell me

It may have additional info :smile: like tips and tricks lol
What's everyone's contribution for AS????
Original post by rileystringer1
Hopefully ~50, I reckon I got 6/12 in crim 12 marker and definity lost at least 4 marks between the field questions. I'd say I got close to full marks on child

I'm fairly confident I won't get an A* overall now unless I do great (~70 in Unit 4), if I get a B that's fine as long as French & Human Biology are As

Wbu?

o that's decent. i definitely lost marks on those field questions and on evaluate bowlby i got 4/6 and on that daycare q i forgot to relate to the people so if they cap marks i'd get 3/5. i smashed the child essay but their d!cks so i'd probably get about 9 with their specific marking, lucky for above that.

being overly cautious and generous at the same time i think i got about 42. as long as it's B i'd be happy. but i need to do extremely well in unit 4 to bring up my marks.
Original post by FemaleBo55
What's everyone's contribution for AS????

Social - Reducing Prejudice and Understanding Obedience
Cognitive - Cognitive Interview and CBT
Learning - Systematic Desensitisation and Token Economy
Biological - Understanding Gender and use of Brain Scanning Techniques
Psychodynamic - Understanding Gender and Psychoanalysis

Then A2:
Criminal - Token Economy
Child - Understanding effects of Daycare
Clinical - Understanding Schizophrenia

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply