The Student Room Group

Has anyone gone onto Uni with TWO GCSES!?

Hiya.
When I was in school I left with two GCSES. I was more interested then hanging around with my friends then doing my actual work.

Now having kids of my own I've decided to better my education. I've always loved English and would like to work with young people.

I'm going back to college to do Pre-Access and then hopefully a Access course. But I'm worried having two GCSES will effect my chances of Uni and getting a job in a area I like.

Has anyone been in this Situation. Any Advice would be great :smile:
yup. me.
:hi:

i left school with two gcse's and no a-levels due to illness and personal problems. when i was 19, i did open uni for a year and received a certificate of higher education (certhe) and have now got a place at university of nottingham starting in september.
My mother came out of school with a C in English as her highest grade. I believe the rest were Es and Us. She took a Health and Social Care BTEC at college but decided after twenty years that she wanted to start at university again. The course accepted her last year and she's studying social work. At the same time perhaps it was her experience as a teaching assistant and working with people with disabilities that got her onto the course.

Nevertheless, it is possible to get into university with very few GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by philosophoraptor
yup. me.
:hi:

i left school with two gcse's and no a-levels due to illness and personal problems. when i was 19, i did open uni for a year and received a certificate of higher education (certhe) and have now got a place at university of nottingham starting in september.

Ah thank you for getting back to me! I was nervous posting this haha! What are you doing at Uni? :smile:
Bet there are plenty who go with none. Mathc GCSE or some maths exam is handy just to get past those who require it.
Access is a widely recognised route.
Reply 5
Original post by AmeliaBaldwin
My mother came out of school with a C in English as her highest grade. I believe the rest were Es and Us. She took a Health and Social Care BTEC at college but decided after twenty years that she wanted to start at university again. The course accepted her last year and she's studying social work. At the same time perhaps it was her experience as a teaching assistant and working with people with disabilities that got her onto the course.

Nevertheless, it is possible to get into university with very few GCSEs.

thank you :smile: someone did say experience is preferred but wasn't sure how true that was lol.
Original post by chrissieb14
Ah thank you for getting back to me! I was nervous posting this haha! What are you doing at Uni? :smile:

i'm doing english and philosophy :h:

what are you thinking of doing? and where?
Reply 7
What about getting a job after? Say if I was to become a teacher or do PGCE would GCSES not effect that? I don't have Science unfortunately and the college near me doesn't do it.
Reply 8
Original post by philosophoraptor
i'm doing english and philosophy :h:

what are you thinking of doing? and where?

I'm hoping to do English Literature :smile: I'm leaning towards open Uni as I have two children and a husband who works full time :smile:
Original post by chrissieb14
I'm hoping to do English Literature :smile: I'm leaning towards open Uni as I have two children and a husband who works full time :smile:

open uni is great, i would really recommend it, you'll love it. :^_^:
Reply 10
Thank you 😊
My grades at GCSE - ACCC

My grades at A level - AAB.

Uni course initially got onto. English at Leeds.

So the moral of the story is, my child, that GCSEs are arbitrary except for probably Oxbridge (in which case who cares?) and a strong PS and predicted A level grades can do wonders.

Quick Reply

Latest