The Student Room Group

Debate: Dual Majority Mechanism

In the run-up to David Cameron's negotiations, one thing which was touted as a potential aim for him was a dual majority mechanism. This would work by amending the ordinary legislative procedure to require any potential EU legislation to have a majority in both Eurozone and non-Eurozone in areas of the EU. Naturally, this was never a realistic goal, as it would have required treaty change.

However, it comes for us to debate whether it would be a good idea - not for the UK, but rather for the EU. If so, why? If not, why not?
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
In the run-up to David Cameron's negotiations, one thing which was touted as a potential aim for him was a dual majority mechanism. This would work by amending the ordinary legislative procedure to require any potential EU legislation to have a majority in both Eurozone and non-Eurozone in areas of the EU. Naturally, this was never a realistic goal, as it would have required treaty change.

However, it comes for us to debate whether it would be a good idea - not for the UK, but rather for the EU. If so, why? If not, why not?

I think the concept should only be applied to significant treaties.

What are your views on the Treaty of Nice by the way?
Original post by Quamquam123
I think the concept should only be applied to significant treaties.

What are your views on the Treaty of Nice by the way?

The mechanism would apply to Regulations and Directives more than Treaties.

I don't have strong views on the Treaty of Nice. What do you think is important about it?
The mechanism would apply to Regulations and Directives more than Treaties.

I don't have strong views on the Treaty of Nice. What do you think is important about it?

It was certainly a controversial treaty and many people claimed that it had
failed to deal with the institutional reform that many EU members wanted to be addressed.

The European Convention was established shortly after the treaty but what I think is signficiant about the Treaty of Nice was that started making certain people, including some in the UK, whether the EU was as efficient and reliable as it made itself out to be.
For the TSR MEU, this could be a viable option, but in real life, we should just get out.
Original post by Unown Uzer
For the TSR MEU, this could be a viable option, but in real life, we should just get out.

Which do you think would be better for the RL EU, rather than the RL UK?
Which do you think would be better for the RL EU, rather than the RL UK?

The RL EU would probably benefit if we had a rule like this, as more people would be willing to stay in the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending