The Student Room Group

International degree and BPS Accreditation

Hello everyone!

I have two important questions regarding BPS accreditation and psychology in the UK. I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Delhi. My majors are English and Psychology.

1. I wanted to know if my degree would be accredited by BPS or not. I have 10 papers in both Psychology and English plus 4 miscellaneous papers, so technically my degree isn’t made up of 50% psychology content. But if you consider the equal distribution of papers for both my majors, then it seems like it is. Also, it does cover the five core areas as stated by the BPS, but my curriculum doesn’t explicitly mention the ‘biological’ and ‘individual difference’ aspects of it. Like these topics are covered in the degree but not in detail. So, I would be grateful if someone could perhaps let me know if there’s a chance that my application for the GBC might be rejected.

2. Let’s say I complete a non-accredited BPS clinical/developmental psychology masters in the UK in 2 years. Can I get a BPS accreditation and membership if I use my undergrad and postgrad qualifications to apply for the GBC in the future?
Hi!
I'm aware of that. However, they also approve international degrees if you apply for the GBC on their website. I know this because a few acquaintances have gotten their degrees accredited but they were from an honours course, meaning they only majored in psychology. I'm particularly asking if there's a chance my degree might not be approved by them because I have a dual major. And if there's hope for obtaining the membership if I apply for it using both my non-UK bachelors degree and UK postgrad degree.

Reply 3
Hi, I have a similar problem now with my bachelors in psychology that it does not explicitly have the courses "individual differences" and the "psychobiological aspect" mentioned as a course but it was taught to some extent. How did this end up working out for you?
Reply 4
Original post by antifragile81
Hello everyone!

I have two important questions regarding BPS accreditation and psychology in the UK. I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Delhi. My majors are English and Psychology.

1. I wanted to know if my degree would be accredited by BPS or not. I have 10 papers in both Psychology and English plus 4 miscellaneous papers, so technically my degree isn’t made up of 50% psychology content. But if you consider the equal distribution of papers for both my majors, then it seems like it is. Also, it does cover the five core areas as stated by the BPS, but my curriculum doesn’t explicitly mention the ‘biological’ and ‘individual difference’ aspects of it. Like these topics are covered in the degree but not in detail. So, I would be grateful if someone could perhaps let me know if there’s a chance that my application for the GBC might be rejected.

2. Let’s say I complete a non-accredited BPS clinical/developmental psychology masters in the UK in 2 years. Can I get a BPS accreditation and membership if I use my undergrad and postgrad qualifications to apply for the GBC in the future?

I couldn't say for certain (you would need to contact the BPS to find out), but my guess would be that it wouldn't be accepted as it is a dual major. I also don't think they accredit many BA degrees, the accredited courses are mostly BSc. You might need to complete a psychology conversion masters course to be eligible for GBC with the BPS. As I said, though, this is just my best guess and you should contact the BPS to find out for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending