The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazza ma razza
what you didn't know about mean<median = negative skew ?

besides, it will tell you if you need to use this, otherwise learn page 67 of the textbook

Well I thought the mode thing was needed as well :/
Original post by JT423
Yes, any way of proving it's a positive skew is valid. The mark scheme are using: IF
Mean<Median<Mode-- Negative skew
Mean=Median=Mode-- Symmetrical (no skew)
Mean>Median>Mode-- Positive skew

Gotcha, thanks!
why am i sat reading this instead of actually revising fgs
Original post by anndz3007
mean > median >mode => postive skew
im not sure about your method cus i dont usually use it, only if the question gives you the formula, but the mark scheme allows it for alt so it wont be the case

Mark scheme doesn't say specifically, but apparently any valid method that proves it is right. Thanks!
In in in in. :woo:
Is there no June 2015 (R) paper?

Also, wonder what the chances of statistical modelling coming up.. I don't really know it that well
Original post by JT423
the method you used is right. 0.0875=7/80
however how did you get 0.25 for P(b/\c) (maybe venn diagram was wrong). P(b/\c) is also 7/80 (4+3/80) so as they're equal, they're statistically independant

I got 1/4 for p(b//c)
because 28 people do chem. And out of these 28, 7 of them do bio so
7/28 = 1/4.
My Venn was right? I'm probably making a really silly misconception idk
Reply 467
Original post by Siddhart1998
I got 1/4 for p(b//c)
because 28 people do chem. And out of these 28, 7 of them do bio so
7/28 = 1/4.
My Venn was right? I'm probably making a really silly misconception idk

there are 80 people in the study, not 28, hence the probability of doing both is 7/80..
Original post by Uberphuq
Is there no June 2015 (R) paper?

Also, wonder what the chances of statistical modelling coming up.. I don't really know it that well

Just write
-helps improve understanding of real world problem
-simplifies real world problem
-real world problem can be analysed
do we have to know the process of statistical modelling???
Is there a summary for what affects PMCC, standard deviation, mean and quartiles?
Can someone explain question 5b on the January 2016 IAL paper. I don't really know how to use given that with normal distribution. I thought that if it is the probability of getting a medal given the probability of a certificate it would be P(M/C)=P(MnC)/P(C)
So I get that the probability of the Certificate is 0.0446 but how do I find the intersection between certificate and medal? The answer just uses the probability of getting a medal over the probability of getting a certificate P(M)/P(C) but I don't get why P(M)=P(MnC) ???
Thank you :s-smilie:
67 - 69 for 90 UMS i reckon
Original post by miranda_1998

Yes. There are 7 stages.
Original post by angellll
Guys, do you know where I could possibly get the June 2015 paper from?

Here.
Original post by neil20143
Don't lie, you can't have finished a stats paper in less than 30 minutes, even if you got 70/75!

i'll let you in on a little secret - having a graphical calculator with certain settings allows you to solve varience / normal distrubutions and do basic probability faster than what I can do without it...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by miranda_1998
yes
Original post by Electrify
Is there a summary for what affects PMCC, standard deviation, mean and quartiles?

quartiles aren't affected by a general addition/removal of data - it depends on the value eg if it is below/above the mean/median etc (easiest to figure out)

for the mean, adding/subtracting affects the mean. multiplying i think does (would need an example to confirm this)

for varience (SD^2) multiplying/dividing affects it ie multiplying by 2 leads to it increasing by 4 (I am pretty sure)

PMCC nothing affects it
Original post by tazza ma razza
compared to the other papers, it is easy. Try june 10 (80 ums was 55/75 compared to 60 for june 13r)

need hard papers. Whats the hardest youve done?
Original post by govandpolitics
need hard papers. Whats the hardest youve done?

imo june 10

the others with the full 90 mins, you can do and get 100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending