The Student Room Group

Unit 4 Physics Edexcel A2 and Edexcel IAL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinksmartiee
Also.. Q15)a)iii) and
Q16b)ii) I don't know where the markscheme got p = E/c from..

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Exam%20materials/6PH04_01_que_20110127.pdf

For 15(aiii), it's linked with the previous parts above. When it was in position Y, the capacitor was discharging. In position X, what's happening is that the capacitor begins to charge as it's now connected to the battery.
For 16(bii), you have to calculate the momentum first so as to apply the equation lambda=plank's constant divided by momentum. You have the energy and speed of light. Simply substitute them.
Reply 141
Do you by any chance know why we have to times E by cos49 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is something to do with the inverse square law, we know that the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of distance between them. So, with the relationship that's given to us, i.e 20mm distance->0.5 N Force...We have to make some link. It's given that the point charges exert a force F and distance is given d. If you notice that F is actually the double of 0.5 F, so this means the distance must decrease by 4 times to produce double the force.
Original post by ayvaak
Do you by any chance know why we have to times E by cos49 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah,I guess so because you need the resultant i.e overall electric field strength so that's the only way you will get it because at B,both charges are producing an effect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by sabahshahed294
Yeah,I guess so because you need the resultant i.e overall electric field strength so that's the only way you will get it because at B,both charges are producing an effect.

so the result E would be the horizontal line between them?
Original post by ayvaak
so the result E would be the horizontal line between them?

Yes, I believe so. :s-smilie:
Reply 146
Does anyone know why the answer is B? I keep gettig answers that arent the options :smile:
Thanks in advance
Original post by ayvaak
Does anyone know why the answer is B? I keep gettig answers that arent the options :smile:
Thanks in advance

Force= Charge multiplied by Electric Field Strength so Force= Mass into Acceleration meaning ma= qE so you know the mass of proton, charge and electric field strength. You can just rearrange the formula.
Is physics unit 4 anyone else's last exam?
Reply 149
Force= Charge multiplied by Electric Field Strength so Force= Mass into Acceleration meaning ma= qE so you know the mass of proton, charge and electric field strength. You can just rearrange the formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again.

Why cant you do these calculations in radians as apposed to degrees mode on the calc?
(edited 7 years ago)
For 15(aiii), it's linked with the previous parts above. When it was in position Y, the capacitor was discharging. In position X, what's happening is that the capacitor begins to charge as it's now connected to the battery.
For 16(bii), you have to calculate the momentum first so as to apply the equation lambda=plank's constant divided by momentum. You have the energy and speed of light. Simply substitute them.

I think this is something to do with the inverse square law, we know that the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of distance between them. So, with the relationship that's given to us, i.e 20mm distance->0.5 N Force...We have to make some link. It's given that the point charges exert a force F and distance is given d. If you notice that F is actually the double of 0.5 F, so this means the distance must decrease by 4 times to produce double the force.

ALL made sense.. Thanks man :smile:
Original post by ayvaak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again.

Any idea on why this is cos 65 instead of sin 65?

That is sin 65, I think you typed it into your calculator wrong.
Original post by ayvaak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again.

Why cant you do these calculations in radians as apposed to degrees mode on the calc?

I'm not really sure on that reason tbh. I guess for accuracy purposes maybe. (I'm not 100% sure. Not really very good in Physics Unit 4 lol. )
Original post by ayvaak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you again.

because the angle is measured in degrees
Reply 154
Original post by klosovic
because the angle is measured in degrees

Ahaha. Sorry that was really stupid of me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone have an explanation for why a force is created in the opposite direction to the magnetic field in this question? :smile:
Reply 155

I believe the reason why is because on any graph the maximum point will be a stationary point, and therefore the gradient at that point will be 0. So if you plot a graph of flux linkage, the point where the flux linkage is greatest i.e. when the plain of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, this point will have a gradient of 0. As induced emf is proportional to the rate of change of flux, which is the gradient of the graph, then the emf induced when the flux linkage is at it's maximum is 0.
Nm on 15.c)
Reply 159

Q5 use F= BILsin30

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending