The Student Room Group

Marking for papers

I wanted to ask how much point would one be deducted if he/she didn't round to 3s.f. I am particularly interested in Mechanics marking as I was told something about the g's cancelling but I didn't get that. I sat the M2 exam yesterday and remember leaving one of the answers to 4 s.f. another one to about 6 s.f. and I left one as a fraction. They are right but just not rounded. Would I lose marks for that? (Really same goes for Statistics)
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
I'm still in Year 12, so I don't know for M2 but in M1 here is the case:

Any numerical answer which comes from use of g = 9.8 should be given to 2 or 3 SF.

So you may lose 1 mark if you got your answers right
Reply 3
So if g was not used then it's alright? Would finding the speed of a particle from the horizontal and vertical components (x and y lets say) when the vertical involved g at some point in the calculation cause marks to be deducted? (Speed vertical=u-gt Speed horizontal=u
Therefore speed is overall root (u-gt)^2 + u^2)
Reply 4
Original post by 130398
So if g was not used then it's alright? Would finding the speed of a particle from the horizontal and vertical components (x and y lets say) when the vertical involved g at some point in the calculation cause marks to be deducted? (Speed vertical=u-gt Speed horizontal=u
Therefore speed is overall root (u-gt)^2 + u^2)

I don't know M2, but isn't it U + gt? or are you using '-' because it is gravity and you took U as positive in the upwards direction?

But apart from that, it looks good :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ArafatQ
I don't know M2, but isn't it U + gt? or are you using '-' because it is gravity and you took U as positive in the upwards direction?

But apart from that, it looks good :smile:

Yes the particle was moving downward but only the vertical component of the speed involves g.
Well it's alright, I'm hoping they will be lenient and accept my overly precise answers

Quick Reply

Latest