The Student Room Group

Petition to cancel EU referendum surges in wake of MP killing

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-jo-cox-murder-killing-petition-cancel-suspend-shooting-signatures-parliament-mps-a7088966.html

There is absolutely no way the Tories will cancel the referendum, not least because of the backlash they would get from their own members and the electorate.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can only shake my head
Boy drowns because his father wants free dental care = BRING IN ALL REFUGEES!

Muslim shoots one hundred gay people = BAN ALL GUNS!!

Lunatic kills a woman = CANCEL THE REFERENDUM!!!

Lefities sure like using tragedies to further their own aims...
Reply 3
Never let a good crisis go to waste.
Are they calling for it because of the murder, or is it because they're worried? :s-smilie:
Guessing this is more of a 'if we cant vote in the referendum, we cant leave'. As much I support remain, this is completely undemocratic and the vote should go ahead.
TBH tragic as the murder of this poor woman was, I cant see why they would want to cancel as I can see remain getting a boost on the back of her death. How many and if it would make enough of a difference I don't know.
Original post by MildredMalone
Boy drowns because his father wants free dental care = BRING IN ALL REFUGEES!...

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for typing the above.
Definitely shouldn't be cancelled. That would suit a lot of people though. I can assure you there would be a lot more violence and possibly murders in addition to general disorder if the referendum was cancelled now. All that tax payer money wasted
Original post by DougallnDougall
You ought to be ashamed of yourself for typing the above.

Which part is incorrect? Aylan drowned because his father wanted to leave their home in Turkey, and he wanted free dental care. So where did I go wrong?

As opposed to the right using terrorism? Oh, sorry, we aren't calling him a terrorist because he isnt Muslim...
Original post by Grand High Witch
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-jo-cox-murder-killing-petition-cancel-suspend-shooting-signatures-parliament-mps-a7088966.html

There is absolutely no way the Tories will cancel the referendum, not least because of the backlash they would get from their own members and the electorate.

Calls to cancel the referendum are pathetic and obvious attempts to politicise Jo Cox's death. They know they're losing so they want to call off the vote; yet another reason that confirms my decision a month ago to switch to Leave
Original post by JordanL_
As opposed to the right using terrorism? Oh, sorry, we aren't calling him a terrorist because he isnt Muslim...

Using terrorism for what?
Using terrorism for what?

Trying to scare people to vote differently. This is what terrorism is.

Original post by Thutmose-III
Calls to cancel the referendum are pathetic and obvious attempts to politicise Jo Cox's death. They know they're losing so they want to call off the vote; yet another reason that confirms my decision a month ago to switch to Leave

You decided to switch to vote leave because you don't like remain's tactics? Wow, that's really pathetic. Maybe I'm just stupid but I like to base decisions that will affect my future on actual facts, rather than petty politics.

I don't really understand how remain tactics upset you and are "pathetic", but billboard ads with lies and expensive social media misinformation campaigns are okay.

No, how about a ban on suspected terrorists from buying guns?
And a ban on high calibre rifles. Not all guns. That'd be impossible anyway
Original post by JordanL_

Maybe I'm just stupid

The maybe qualifier was uneccessary. But given your obvious stupidity, I will explain it to you given your reading comprehension is clearly at a very low level.

I said it confirmed my reasoning. It is valid to say that, in addition to the economic and sovereignty issues, the attitude of the European Commission (people like Juncker saying "Deserters will not be welcomed") and their UK surrogates speaks to their attitude about the people they govern and that I would be warranting that attitude if I gave it an imprimatur by voting Remain.

Having said all that, it's clear you're highly emotional and not very bright (the latter is very clear from your clunky, uneducated prose style) and so I perceive little profit in interacting with you further. Time to add you to my ignore list. Bye :smile:
This attacked was politically motivated, so this is a textbook example of terrorism. Just like mental illness and radical Islam can lead violence, the same is true for right-wing extremism.

Your right, cancelling the referendum won't solve anything, but I think its scary to think that the brexit campaign is not only allowing this right-wing fascism to become acceptable, but encouraging it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
If the vote gets cancelled then it likely more people will die.
I think we should remain, but cancelling it is not only a waste of time but also a waste of money.. it needs to go ahead.
Everyone deserves the right to vote. Even if it is a disillusioned Brexiter ruining our economy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending