The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Anyone know if the graduate medicine degree has classifications like 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc...

Thanks
Original post by 123ash
Anyone know if the graduate medicine degree has classifications like 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc...

Thanks

Medicine doesn't have classifications. When undergrads intercalate they'll get a classification for that but medicine is otherwise pass fails (or honours AFAIK).
Hey! I'm a little late to this thread I think but I'm thinking of applying to Swansea, Warwick, Nottingham and not 100% sure about the last one to be honest! How is everyone feeling about GAMSAT/UKCAT preparation?
Original post by millsye
Hey! I'm a little late to this thread I think but I'm thinking of applying to Swansea, Warwick, Nottingham and not 100% sure about the last one to be honest! How is everyone feeling about GAMSAT/UKCAT preparation?

hey! I'm currently revising for the GAMSAT and finding section 3 quite hard. Mainly using Khan Academy youtube material but I have a BSc in Psych so not got a particularly sciency background. How are you finding the prep?
Hi guys,
So I have recently just decided to do GAMSAT in September. I don't know where to start and what preparation material to use. I am really worried about the section 1 of the exam. Any help would be much appreciated? Those who are preparing for Gamsat, what material are you using?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelbylimited
Hi guys,
So I have recently just decided to do GAMSAT in September. I don't know where to start and what preparation material to use. I am really worried about the section 1 of the exam. Any help would be much appreciated? Those who are preparing for Gamsat, what material are you using?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't give you too much advice about S1 since I did pretty average in it and I have a law degree so I was predicting myself to do pretty well. I do have the MCAT examkrackers book for verbal reasoning and did one of those extracts a day for a week before the exam. I also read books as much as I could to get myself used to reading quickly and picking out information as fast as I could. Admittedly, I should have started preparing long before the week before.

I have the Gold Standard but I think it's overall, not that helpful. It can provide a reference point if you don't know where to start but the cost is kind of offputting.

For Biology I use the Campbell book. It's much more than you really need to know but I like to be able to skim around and it's pretty easy to do.

Chemistry, I use the Collins Advanced Series and sometimes look into Blackman's but Blackman's is way too much information imo. I only got it because it was pretty cheap and I'll use it mostly for organic chemistry.

Physics, I use the Collins Advanced Series and Khan Academy because my Physics is awful.
Hi guys, I really need some help about whether I should apply to medicine this year for 2017 entry or apply next year?I've finished my second year of biomed and my current prediction is a 'high' 2ii :s. I know that I can definitely get a 2i at least overall. The only place i would be able to apply to this year is Nott right?

Pros of having a gap year:
- can get more experience as a HCA or something (have plenty of work experience already, voluntary work, first aid course, phlebotomy course and other bits and pieces)
- more time to prepare for admissions exams/interviews
- less stress this summer
- can earn money
- if i get a 2i or above will have more places to apply to

cons:
- the reverse of everything above
- dont want to be living at home for a year due to family situation etc (this is the biggest reason I would prefer not to take a gap year)
- wont be able to see my boyfriend much
What do you guys think? any advice will be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Original post by moonziggy
Hi guys, I really need some help about whether I should apply to medicine this year for 2017 entry or apply next year?I've finished my second year of biomed and my current prediction is a 'high' 2ii :s. I know that I can definitely get a 2i at least overall. The only place i would be able to apply to this year is Nott right?

Pros of having a gap year:
- can get more experience as a HCA or something (have plenty of work experience already, voluntary work, first aid course, phlebotomy course and other bits and pieces)
- more time to prepare for admissions exams/interviews
- less stress this summer
- can earn money
- if i get a 2i or above will have more places to apply to

cons:
- the reverse of everything above
- dont want to be living at home for a year due to family situation etc (this is the biggest reason I would prefer not to take a gap year)
- wont be able to see my boyfriend much
What do you guys think? any advice will be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Do everything within your power to get a 2.1. Getting a 2.2 and only being able to apply to Notts with like a top 12% GAMSAT score is just not even worth pursuing. If you do end up getting a 2.2, do a Masters degree so you're on a more level playing field with those who did get 2.1+.

I am a bit confused about the gap year part. If you already have the experience and the money (£3500ish at start of first year) to apply for GEM why take a gap year? The GAMSAT is a tough exam but a lot easier if you have a science background than non-science, and most people average UKCAT revision to be about a month.

I'd focus on getting a 2.1. Once that's done focus on the GAMSAT (or scrap that idea altogether as UKCAT is apparently a lot easier) then focus on UKCAT, book it for the start of October so you have a good amount of time between GAMSAT and UKCAT in which to revise, then make sure all your stuff is squared away for mid-October UCAS deadline.
Original post by Marathi
Do everything within your power to get a 2.1. Getting a 2.2 and only being able to apply to Notts with like a top 12% GAMSAT score is just not even worth pursuing. If you do end up getting a 2.2, do a Masters degree so you're on a more level playing field with those who did get 2.1+.

I am a bit confused about the gap year part. If you already have the experience and the money (£3500ish at start of first year) to apply for GEM why take a gap year? The GAMSAT is a tough exam but a lot easier if you have a science background than non-science, and most people average UKCAT revision to be about a month.

I'd focus on getting a 2.1. Once that's done focus on the GAMSAT (or scrap that idea altogether as UKCAT is apparently a lot easier) then focus on UKCAT, book it for the start of October so you have a good amount of time between GAMSAT and UKCAT in which to revise, then make sure all your stuff is squared away for mid-October UCAS deadline.

Thanks for your reply!
I've just finished my second year so I was originally planning on applying for 2017 entry for after i finish my 3rd year. Thats my question - whether to apply for 2017 after I finish my degree or take a gap year after I finish my degree. Hope that's clearer?
Original post by moonziggy
Thanks for your reply!
I've just finished my second year so I was originally planning on applying for 2017 entry for after i finish my 3rd year. Thats my question - whether to apply for 2017 after I finish my degree or take a gap year after I finish my degree. Hope that's clearer?

Apply in 2017 if you have the money and work experience. No point doing a gap year unless you fail the entry tests or need the additional work exp/money.
Original post by amegiraffe182
hey! I'm currently revising for the GAMSAT and finding section 3 quite hard. Mainly using Khan Academy youtube material but I have a BSc in Psych so not got a particularly sciency background. How are you finding the prep?

As far as I'm concerned at the moment....GAMSAT need to go and have a long hard look and an honest chat with its self *grumble* all I feel is September is coming up pretty quickly. I'm a nurse so fitting in revision time around working 13hour day and night shifts is pretty tough...plus my shifts are spread out over the week so it's not predictable and time off is rare. Sigh. It's tough, but I'm trying to view it as "welcome to the rest of your life" as this what a career in medicine will be like until we (IF!) reach lofty consultant heights!!

Anyone else doing UKCAT too? I can attest that Medify is brilliant would 100% recommend. :smile:
So finally after 10 years of talking myself out of becoming a doctor due to my perceived poor academic ability, I am finally drowning out the negative voices and going after my dream. After struggling at school through Alevels as an undiagnosed dyslexic, I now have a first class BSc and 3 years post registration experience as a midwife on a busy, high risk delivery suite and if anything that experience has confirmed that medicine rather than midwifery in the traditional sense is for me. I am hugely excited and hopeful on the one hand but also have reservations about the application process as I know there is huge amounts of incredible competition. However, someone has to get a place and there's no reason why I can't be one of them. Looking forward to getting the UCAS personal statement and UKCAT test out of the way. Once those processes are started I think I will feel like the possibility will become a bit more real. Eeek! Wishing you all the best of luck :smile:
Original post by CharlieJay1903
As far as I'm concerned at the moment....GAMSAT need to go and have a long hard look and an honest chat with its self *grumble* all I feel is September is coming up pretty quickly. I'm a nurse so fitting in revision time around working 13hour day and night shifts is pretty tough...plus my shifts are spread out over the week so it's not predictable and time off is rare. Sigh. It's tough, but I'm trying to view it as "welcome to the rest of your life" as this what a career in medicine will be like until we (IF!) reach lofty consultant heights!!

Anyone else doing UKCAT too? I can attest that Medify is brilliant would 100% recommend. :smile:

What is medify? Will have a look into it. I work 13 hour days/nights too so I hear you! x
Original post by Littlestar121
What is medify? Will have a look into it. I work 13 hour days/nights too so I hear you! x

https://www.medify.co.uk/ukcat

There you go :-) it's brilliant...it seems pricey but I paid about £50 for a three month subscription...it's definitely worth the investment. It's online practice questions for the ukcat but what I find really valuable is the amount of questions plus the user interfCe is the same as the ukcat exam itself so it's good practice and they track your usage so you can idtenify what your weakest areas etc are. At the end of each set of questions it also gives you explanations for the right or wrong answers and tells you how long it took you to answer each question compared to other people! Finding it really good....my bank balance doesn't like it much haha but my brain feels better about it 😳

How are you finding everything so far? Where are you hoping to apply to?
Original post by Littlestar121
So finally after 10 years of talking myself out of becoming a doctor due to my perceived poor academic ability, I am finally drowning out the negative voices and going after my dream. After struggling at school through Alevels as an undiagnosed dyslexic, I now have a first class BSc and 3 years post registration experience as a midwife on a busy, high risk delivery suite and if anything that experience has confirmed that medicine rather than midwifery in the traditional sense is for me. I am hugely excited and hopeful on the one hand but also have reservations about the application process as I know there is huge amounts of incredible competition. However, someone has to get a place and there's no reason why I can't be one of them. Looking forward to getting the UCAS personal statement and UKCAT test out of the way. Once those processes are started I think I will feel like the possibility will become a bit more real. Eeek! Wishing you all the best of luck :smile:

Omgosh you sound exactly like me! I was undiagnosed (until university) dyslexic and dyspraxic.....I'm a nurse with a first class BSc too and about 8years post a levels! :-)
Hiya!
Will the fact that I'm currently doing a Masters degree be officially taken into consideration? I technically I will not have graduated until December 2016 (though the course finishes in early September). I kinda wanted to my MSc (pretty sure I'll get a distinction) to balance out my average 2.1 undergraduate degree.
Also, looking at places I can apply to which do not take into consideration A-levels, are outside London and don't require the GAMSAT that only leaves me Warwick, Southampton and Newcastle. For that fourth spot I was considering applying to Oxford and sitting the BMAT.

How much do you guys think poor A-levels (BCCC) and a 2.1 reduce my chances for Oxford, if I am predicted a distinction in my Masters and do strongly in the BMAT?

I understand that Oxford is really competitive but I'm trying to figure out how to fill that fourth slot. May have to just pick a London uni.
Penny for all your thoughts :smile:
Original post by TheRaver

How much do you guys think poor A-levels (BCCC) and a 2.1 reduce my chances for Oxford, if I am predicted a distinction in my Masters and do strongly in the BMAT?

Oxford say: We accept that some excellent students are "late developers", and so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5); but we do need to see some hard evidence of real academic strength.

Email admissions to double check your eligibility so you don't waste one of your options but it sounds like that will give most weight to your most recent achievements but they have a really specific list of science degrees that they accept.
Original post by Quilverine
Oxford say: We accept that some excellent students are "late developers", and so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5); but we do need to see some hard evidence of real academic strength.

Thanks, I read this and I'm have the required science degree, but I read elsewhere that because Oxford is so competitive they do end up looking at the A-levels somewhat, but not to the extent of Cambridge.

I feel like there is so little in these forums about Oxford GEM.
Original post by TheRaver

Thanks, I read this and I'm have the required science degree, but I read elsewhere that because Oxford is so competitive they do end up looking at the A-levels somewhat, but not to the extent of Cambridge.

I feel like there is so little in these forums about Oxford GEM.

I was thinking the exact same today actually, I also read the bit on their website about not placing too much weight on Alevels.... I'm just thinking though it would probably be similar to Cambridge in that Cambridge officially say they only require A in Alevel chemistry" BUT then go on to say "most competitive applicants have three a levels"..... I had my heart set on Cambridge for a long time until they seemed to increase the requirements unofficially with the last bit. Meet every other single requirement...bugger!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending