The Student Room Group

Comp engineers: My macbook gets warm and overheated when 'creating' many objects?

So my dad bought me this macbook (not the 'pro' or air one but the real original one) which I have been using for over a year and here's what happens.

It works fine, but when it is 'creating' many objects it becomes very warm it burns my legs and I have to use it with a number of books underneath it.

Examples of situations in which this occurs include:
- Opening a huge TSR thread with a lot of graphic posts, videos, etc
- Playing Sims 3/Sims 4
- Copying large amounts of text for word search in Microsoft Word (i.e. over 25 pages of A4 with bullet points)
- Loading a room with lots of objects and large MB players in IMVU (I do not play this silly game anymore but this is a good example to illustrate the problem)
- When I am engineering something large in JavaScript or c++

This does not happen with things like youtube, facebook, tumblr etc.

Why do you think the problem occurs and what is the solution?
Original post by Yael
So my dad bought me this macbook (not the 'pro' or air one but the real original one) which I have been using for over a year and here's what happens.

It works fine, but when it is 'creating' many objects it becomes very warm it burns my legs and I have to use it with a number of books underneath it.

Examples of situations in which this occurs include:
- Opening a huge TSR thread with a lot of graphic posts, videos, etc
- Playing Sims 3/Sims 4
- Copying large amounts of text for word search in Microsoft Word (i.e. over 25 pages of A4 with bullet points)
- Loading a room with lots of objects and large MB players in IMVU (I do not play this silly game anymore but this is a good example to illustrate the problem)
- When I am engineering something large in JavaScript or c++

This does not happen with things like youtube, facebook, tumblr etc.

Why do you think the problem occurs and what is the solution?

Your macbooks CPU is failing or is low end.

Solution is to buy a new macbook or not buy macbooks at all.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by That Arab Guy
Your macbooks CPU is failing or is low end.

Solution is to buy a new macbook or not buy macbooks at all.

Spoiler

Really? How do you know it's GPU? I thought Mac products had excellent graphics processing hardware. So what is the example of a product with a fast CPU?
Original post by Yael
Really? How do you know it's GPU? I thought Mac products had excellent graphics processing hardware. So what is the example of a product with a fast CPU?

I don't know much about macbook specs, but one does not need know the specs to know that your problem is processing related.

I am not doubting the specs of your macbook are good, I am saying your problem is probably due to a fault with your processor (CPU).

It is not a GPU fault because copying and pasting large amounts of text doesn't require graphical processing power. Also, games like sims are very CPU heavy rather than GPU heavy.
Finally, you say your macbook operates fine when on YouTube, which requires more graphical power to load the videos than processing power.

Spoiler

Original post by Yael

To me, Macbooks are *****y overpriced products and I have spent probably the same amount on a PC which I think has far better specs. According to Mac's website, a macbook can have a 1.2ghz processor and Intel HD Graphics 515
(**** me jesus).

Other than that though, there could just be a *****y cooling system and most laptops get that hot anyway. I would recommend taking it to a store though if you're that concerned. The reason that is overheating of small things is because the processor is pretty crap as well.

Spoiler

Uh oh, inb4 this turns into another EU thread.
(Hypocrite here since I made one).
Reply 6
I don't know much about macbook specs, but one does not need know the specs to know that your problem is processing related.

I am not doubting the specs of your macbook are good, I am saying your problem is probably due to a fault with your processor (CPU).

It is not a GPU fault because copying and pasting large amounts of text doesn't require graphical processing power. Also, games like sims are very CPU heavy rather than GPU heavy.
Finally, you say your macbook operates fine when on YouTube, which requires more graphical power to load the videos than processing power.

Spoiler

Oh right of course, the CPU and not the GPU.
Reply 7
Original post by CharlesJH
Uh oh, inb4 this turns into another EU thread.
(Hypocrite here since I made one).

Haha this is hilarious but I am fine with it - everything needs to be made into an EU thread. It's about the trajectory of history.

Thank you for the information about cooling but the fan part is working fine.
Original post by Yael
Haha this is hilarious but I am fine with it - everything needs to be made into an EU thread. It's about the trajectory of history.

Thank you for the information about cooling but the fan part is working fine.

Well I feel the processor is pretty crap then. Nothing you can really do about that since it is afterall integrated within the computer since it is a laptop and you cannot change it (at least to my knowledge).
The EU referendum is important, but I don't think it should be everywhere lol.
Could be poor airflow and/or poor thermal conductivity, preventing the heat being effectively removed. If you're not happy taking the machine apart you could try getting a can of air duster and blowing it through the vents. If you did want to take it apart you've got more options.

Quick Reply

Latest