The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marathi
It sounds to me like you have more than enough experience and plenty to reflect on. Whilst shadowing is definitely more interesting and relatable it isn't essential. Shadowing's greatest strengths lie in reassuring your decision to commit to this career as many doctors don't hold back on their opinions and you will get very mixed messages about a career as a doctor. However, as for 'hands on experience' I think you will be fine.

Hi, thanks for the advice! I know exactly what you mean about getting mixed messages from doctors...... some seem to love it, and some, not so much....... I think it just depends on the type of person you are. From my experiences, there can be a degree of "the grass is greener on the other side" to which i'd say "until you have to mow the lawn". Most people who become doctors decide to do so at 17, and it is very difficult at that age to know how you will develop at uni, what you will find interesting, what type of working environment you enjoy, the way you behave in a team etc. etc. so I can completely understand where some of these mixed messages come from
Original post by kgla24
Hi guys was wondering if anyone could help me out..

I'm soon graduating with a 2:1 in Molecular biology, I have really quite bad Highers and got into my university with a HNC. I have work experience including infirmary assistant at a 4 months children's summer camp, 2 years care assistant for disabled folk and three days shadowing a surgeon this summer :smile:

I was wondering what med schools don't consider your academic achievement before you degree? For both A100 and A101?

Or even to what extent they use previous academic achievement?

Any advice super appreciated!!!

How the heck did you manage to get shadowing experience with a surgeon? I've seen the odd person say this and I can't even get GP shadowing because of red tape, so what did you do in order to get in on surgeries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
How the heck did you manage to get shadowing experience with a surgeon? I've seen the odd person say this and I can't even get GP shadowing because of red tape, so what did you do in order to get in on surgeries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have actually already shadowed a general surgeon in the states and I got to shadow him for a few days because I worked with his wife in the infirmary.

The guy I'm shadowing here (to get a feel of the NHS) completed surgeries on me when I was younger. I basically sent him an email saying I was interested in experiencing what a medical career entails etc. (also flattery helps)

Having contacts help, but I have emailed and called wards directly before and had some success. Teaching hospitals are usually quite responsive.

I hope I helped. Can someone answer my questions please Haha!
Original post by kgla24

I'm soon graduating with a 2:1 in Molecular biology, I have really quite bad Highers and got into my university with a HNC. I have work experience including infirmary assistant at a 4 months children's summer camp, 2 years care assistant for disabled folk and three days shadowing a surgeon this summer :smile:

I was wondering what med schools don't consider your academic achievement before you degree? For both A100 and A101?

It will totally depend on your situation. I would recommend that you get on the phone/computer and call or email all the admissions teams. You'll get better answers than asking here as they can tell you absolutely yes or no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
It will totally depend on your situation. I would recommend that you get on the phone/computer and call or email all the admissions teams. You'll get better answers than asking here as they can tell you absolutely yes or no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright - I have asked already and it was really to find out if anyone had extra information. It would be interesting to see if folk got a place but didn't have quite the best school grades before university :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 765
Original post by kgla24

Hey,
From information I've gathered, Southampton do not look at grades prior to your degree as long as your degree contains sufficient chemistry and biology. My A level chemistry result was terrible but I've just got a first in Biomed so when I contacted Southampton admissions they said my course contains enough chem so wouldnt look at A levels.
Warwick also do not consider any grades prior to your undergrad degree. :smile: These are two of my options when applying this year!
Original post by WannabeDrA
Hi, I couldn't make it to the Warwick open day, for those who went, how did you find it? :smile:

It was pretty informative and the speakers and med students were great at answering questions, the campus seems to be fantastic, loved all the greenery and nature around the place.

One student did leave me with a bitter aftertaste but I can't let one bad egg ruin a batch, or however that saying goes...
Original post by Marathi
It was pretty informative and the speakers and med students were great at answering questions, the campus seems to be fantastic, loved all the greenery and nature around the place.

One student did leave me with a bitter aftertaste but I can't let one bad egg ruin a batch, or however that saying goes...

Out of curiosity if you don;t mind, Why the bad after taste? Was it about the uni cause I'm planning on applying this year.
Original post by oliw16
Hey,
From information I've gathered, Southampton do not look at grades prior to your degree as long as your degree contains sufficient chemistry and biology. My A level chemistry result was terrible but I've just got a first in Biomed so when I contacted Southampton admissions they said my course contains enough chem so wouldnt look at A levels.
Warwick also do not consider any grades prior to your undergrad degree. :smile: These are two of my options when applying this year!

Oh nice one :smile: I did my HNC in Biomed/Applied Sciences, I loved it. I knew Warwick did not and didn't realise Southampton did not either :smile: you know Newcastle doesn't consider academic achievement before you degree yeah? Good luck :smile:
Original post by koolkat95
Out of curiosity if you don;t mind, Why the bad after taste? Was it about the uni cause I'm planning on applying this year.

No just one of the students attitudes. The uni was great and I will be applying this year.
Reply 770
Was the Warwick open day a full day event (putting aside the campus tours, etc)? I went to King's last month and it was only a couple of hours of talk + chat with students and staff. Thanks.
Original post by Marathi
No just one of the students attitudes. The uni was great and I will be applying this year.

Ah right thank you! I made a Warwick GEM 2017 entry thread as I couldn't find one yet, so we can all share thoughts and stress together throughout this application :laugh:
Original post by koolkat95
Ah right thank you! I made a Warwick GEM 2017 entry thread as I couldn't find one yet, so we can all share thoughts and stress together throughout this application :laugh:

Hi! I can't find the thread, could you link it please? :smile:
Hi! I can't find the thread, could you link it please? :smile:

Sure thing :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4202619
Original post by dr_2b
Was the Warwick open day a full day event (putting aside the campus tours, etc)? I went to King's last month and it was only a couple of hours of talk + chat with students and staff. Thanks.

The day was 6 hours long including breaks (15-30min in morning then hour for lunch). Including lectures on admissions and past and present student experiences. In the afternoon there was a short run through the anatomy course content followed by viewing of the plastinated samples. Finally finishing with some 15 minute (way too short) taster sessions on radiology, ethics, and clinical skills. The taster sessions should have been at least 30 mins each...
Reply 775
Original post by kgla24
Oh nice one :smile: I did my HNC in Biomed/Applied Sciences, I loved it. I knew Warwick did not and didn't realise Southampton did not either :smile: you know Newcastle doesn't consider academic achievement before you degree yeah? Good luck :smile:

Yeah I'm going to apply to Newcastle too I think... Then Barts or Kings. Hopefully an offer from one, preferably Warwick. Went to their open day and loved it. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 776
Hi, I couldn't make it to the Warwick open day, for those who went, how did you find it? :smile:

It was informative and very good. Looks like a great medical school :-)
Reply 777
Original post by Marathi
The day was 6 hours long including breaks (15-30min in morning then hour for lunch). Including lectures on admissions and past and present student experiences. In the afternoon there was a short run through the anatomy course content followed by viewing of the plastinated samples. Finally finishing with some 15 minute (way too short) taster sessions on radiology, ethics, and clinical skills. The taster sessions should have been at least 30 mins each...

Thanks Marathi! I can't wait for 8-Sep :smile:
Further to my previous posts, I just got my results and passed with a 64% (i.e. a 2:1) which is amazing considering my dissertation supervisor gave me no support, resulting in a total flop in that! This result has totally spurred me on to apply for grad med next year! Cheers for the support you guys gave me a few weeks back :smile:
Hey guys so I got and confirmed my offer from Kings a few weeks ago, and I have a question about funding. I know that the £9000 tuition fees can be paid in installments i.e 3000 per term. Does that mean that it would be possible for student finance to cover the first 2 terms and then i won't need to actually pay the £3350 that we self fund until the third term?

ETA: Just realised that this was the 2017 thread and not the 2016 one, sorry for derailing and good luck with your application guys
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending