The Student Room Group

New terror attack france many dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Yes.
And I've noticed that when someone dies, neighbours often go to the funeral, but strangers from the next town don't.

Weird, isn't it?

Are you attempting to make a comparison between killings due to terrorist attacks and funerals for non-terrorist related deaths?
Reply 461
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If you are just taking an extreme anti-Islam position, you aren't going to help, as the situation is that this is a deep split within global Islam, with some taking an extreme position based on a particular school of thought. If you truly want that to change, you have to support other Muslims in changing it, which is very difficult for them actually, not least because of the hate and violence directed at those within Islam who do attempt to.
Indeed, which is why I support those who make such attempt, like Maajid Nawaz and Ali Rizvi.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Muslims don't just politely disagree with them, they are vehement, and sometimes violent, in their rejection. Just have a look at how TSR ISOC reacts if you mention Nawaz.
Original post by Craig1998
It's not clear that this is IS yet, they haven't claimed responsibility (they would by now surely?)

But I agree, the Euros is a much clearer target and would cause a large amount of devastation given how many nations are represented by fans in France. There's two ideas as to why not. First is that they wanted to wait for France to put it's guard down and give something serious and unexpected, it'd be clear that France would be prepared following the Charlie Hebdo and Paris attacks, amongst others. Secondly, the French may have been able to thwart any attempts by ISIS to create an attack during the Euros, and they just let their guard down for an attack like this.

I don't think preparation could've prevented this though, Nice isn't an obvious target and lorries are free to buy anywhere if you have the license etc. The only thing that the French police could do is create a watch on potential terrorists, and the driver just wasn't on that list.

IS have claimed responsibility for lots of things, they didnt directly have hands in. but a nutcase inspired by their ideology doesnt have to be apart of them to be a result of IS. this exact attack could have happend two weeks ago, as a truck is not tought to come by. some ppl have sugestted its happend now after the IS 2nd in command was killed the other day - IS have had lots of top leaders killed recently and been losing territory all over the place
Original post by 1010marina
The truth is, big terror attacks are now always reported by mainstream media.

The other truth is that we sympathise more with France because they are our cultural and political allies. What have Middle Eastern countries ever done for us, historically? We've long been enemies.

That doesn't justify IGNORING terror attacks, but consider this:

Someone in your town is mugged. You read the news, and say "oh, how awful" and you feel bad etc. But then the next day your next door neighbour is mugged. You feel more sorry for them, because you know them better and you like them.

So mourn the French lives lost and mourn the loss of life in the other countries, but don't for a second try to make people feel bad. It's just common sense. It's not injustice.

I see what you're saying. I'm not trying to make people feel bad it's just there's so many more unlawful killings in other countries but it's rarely reported or acknowledged.
Original post by Jibola240
I feel sorry for them, they've been really unlucky.

It is not anything to do with bad luck, it is to do with French stupidity, stupidity by both French Politicians (and the people who voted for them).
Reply 465
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Are you attempting to make a comparison between killings due to terrorist attacks and funerals for non-terrorist related deaths?
No. I am illustrating how people are affected differently by things, depending on their connection to the event, by using an analogy.
Bomb their countries to oblivion
Original post by generallee
Don't be disingenuous.

You are not only denying the Islamic terrorist roots to this atrocity on this thread, you are in denial about it to yourself also.

The question is why? I note that you didn't reply to my question. Are you a Muslim or not?

just fyi, yes he is and this is his standard response of answering a question with a question when he backed into a position of being forced to give an honest and uncomfortable answer. it is a very aypical attidue you will find in abundance on ISoc or thread relating to israel, US foregin policy etc, where people of certain ideology, will try distance the actions fo these terrorists from their ideology, even though the rest fo the world can blatantly see the link. I think ppl like taz think if they keep sticking their head in the sand in denial, the rest of the world will jsut run out of patience and agree with them in a fit of ignorance. but that is a pipe dream. at some point ( maybe not in our generation , the islamic world will have to come to terms with whats happeing in their world, and be forced to correct it.
Original post by neal95
Bomb their countries to oblivion

France?
Original post by BaconandSauce
France?

No the Islamic countries
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I've noticed when there is a terrorist attack in the Middle East or a country that is less well known it's sort of ignored but when it's in such a well known country like France there's a huge amount of solidarity for the victims and the French people.

It's all a matter of perspective and human nature. Naturally, Europeans are going to feel closer to and therefore greater solidarity with those who are nearer to them both geographically, culturally and historically. Let's not pretend Middle Easterners particularly care about attacks that happen in the West either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 471
Original post by Fullofsurprises
"we will defeat their poisonous and twisted ideology"

Saddiq Khan, speaking a few minutes ago.

But he fails to name the "ideology" he is speaking about. What he said is therefore useless.
Original post by oShahpo
The Quran does not say interpretations are not allowed, look into this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafsir

It says, for instance:

Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? ...
6:114

The word of your Lord is complete, in truth and justice. Nothing shall abrogate His words. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.
6:115

If it is complete and may not be abrogated, and nobody but the god can explain it, how can it be interpreted?

And 3:7 confirms that the bits that cannot be understood can only be understood by the deity and are not to be intrepreted by anyone else:

It is He who has sent down to you, O Mohammed], the Book; in it are verses that are precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation from truth, they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation suitable to them. And no one knows its true interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All of it is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's all a matter of perspective and human nature. Naturally, Europeans are going to feel closer to and therefore greater solidarity with those who are nearer to them both geographically, culturally and historically. Let's not pretend Middle Easterners particularly care about attacks that happen in the West either.

You'd be surprised. The whole world cares about attacks that happen in the West
Original post by Josb
There are about 6 million Muslims in France; you could annihilate every Muslim country that it wouldn't solve the problem. The barbarians are among us.

Are North Africans the largest Muslim group in France?
Original post by champagnepapii
More muslims are dying by the hands of non muslims and ISIS together yet no one seems to care about them....why?

Just idiots firing the "religion of peace" statement even though it is the muslims who suffer more and are constantly being oppressed by non muslims

HOLY ****, It is almost as if they don't consider them muslims!
Reply 476
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Are North Africans the largest Muslim group in France?

Yes. Then you have Turks, Kurds and Subsaharians (Senegalese, Malians, Nigeriens, etc.).
Original post by Josb
There are about 6 million Muslims in France; you could annihilate every Muslim country that it wouldn't solve the problem. The barbarians are among us.

That is where the D and R words come in to use.
Original post by Good bloke

And no one knows its true interpretation except Allah

Hence why there is a strand of Islamic theology dedicated to reaching this true interpretation, and hence why you can follow whichever interpretation you like as long as it doesn't contradict the text.
Reply 479
Original post by champagnepapii
More muslims are dying by the hands of non muslims and ISIS together yet no one seems to care about them....why?
The vast majority of Muslims who die violently are killed by other Muslims, in Muslim countries.

Just idiots firing the "religion of peace" statement even though it is the muslims who suffer more and are constantly being oppressed by non muslims
Care to name a country where Muslims are constantly oppressed by non-Muslims?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending