The Student Room Group

Mummy issues

Do you believe that your relation with your mother will also reflect on your love life?

I believe this to be very true, as me and my mum have a very sour relationship since nursery. Man has been clashing with my mum like two lightsabers. And man's love life has also been detrimental. And mum warned man that I will push every girl like I push her.

My longest surviving relationship was one month at the maximum.:bricks:
Original post by truly unruly
Do you believe that your relation with your mother will also reflect on your love life?

I believe this to be very true, as me and my mum have a very sour relationship since nursery. Man has been clashing with my mum like two lightsabers. And man's love life has also been detrimental. And mum warned man that I will push every girl like I push her.

My longest surviving relationship was one month at the maximum.:bricks:

No. LOL. The only effect that may have an impact on your love life from childhood is if you had horrible parents who would insult you, put you down and control your life- results in insecurity, low ambition and general distrust or the opposite if you choose eto fight it..violence, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
No. LOL. The only effect that may have an impact on your love life from childhood is if you had horrible parents who would insult you, put you down and control your life- results in insecurity, low ambition and general distrust or the opposite if you choose eto fight it..violence, etc.

It does, and there is proof that shows how your relationship with your parents can affect one's social life.

This is why we got girls who remain with their abusive boyfriends. Because of their broken relation with their fathers.

Because what is unresolved in one's life with their parents may serve as a template that forges later relationships.
Original post by truly unruly
It does, and there is proof that shows how your relationship with your parents can affect one's social life.

This is why we got girls who remain with their abusive boyfriends. Because of their broken relation with their fathers.

Because what is unresolved in one's life with their parents may serve as a template that forges later relationships.

What about blokes then? I grew up and still am in an abusive household. What will happen to me? I still think its BS for blokes anyway...girls are in a league of their own. Never understood them and never will.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What about blokes then? I grew up and still am in an abusive household. What will happen to me? I still think its BS for blokes anyway...girls are in a league of their own. Never understood them and never will.

You say that you will never understand women, And that you probably feel some form of hostility towards the opposite sex, due to you not understanding them. Do you think this is a reflection of you growing up "an abusive household"?
Reply 5
I grew up in an abusive household with my mum before my grandparents took over and I never had anything to do with my dad and I can't say that has had any reflection or impact on my love life. I have been in the same relationship for the past 7 and a half years and its really good and going from strength to strength. I don't have a distrust for men which is quite common in girls if they grew up without a dad or were abused by them and vice versa with men having a distrust to women if their mum abused them. I also don't feel like I am worthless or don't deserve love because I wasn't shown much by my mum as a child and none from my dad. I never settled for the first person who showed me interest either which seems to be a common misconception that those from broken homes always tend to latch onto love or any kind of attention they can get. That can happen, but not always.

I do think a bad relationship with either parent can affect all aspects of your life such as your education, relationships, mental health etc but it doesn't always or at least doesn't affect your life drastically. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you wont ever have a successful relationship because of your mum issues. It was more likely that the relationship just wasn't right and wouldn't have worked out even if you didn't have any mum issues.
Reply 6
Perhaps. My mum didn't really have many relationships and broke up with my dad shortly after I was born

Suffice to say I'm still single as ****.
For some reason, Freuds theory keeps coming to mind... >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending